Nomad when?

cinetj

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Glenn confirm (or deny) that the shipping delay is due to a manufacturing "issue" with the new circuit boards?

I'm not aware of any problem like that but since Glenn participates actively in this forum any statement from him would be much appreciated.

Just to put it in perspective, the Nomads are not being assembled at Foxconn. I don't think Zaxcom has dorms of workers where they can rouse 3,000 workers in the middle of the night to assemble devices. Sometimes you have to wait for production to ramp up.

I thought all electronics were made at Foxconn? C'mon they have 450 000 workers.

Well you go build a better muti-track recorder that will meet everyone's needs AND have enough for everyone.

Really? How bout you be prepared for proper distribution and demand like any respectable company in this business, not to mention the world market in general. Bottom line is, you would not see this poor customer service from Sound Devices, Lectrosonics, Denecke, K- Tek and many other of the local companies that supply our trade. Yes, making the product that you advertise available is part of giving good customer service, and unfortunately Zaxcom has failed in this respect. Not to mention having to recall units that had already been shipped late to customers, not having a manual ready (that blows my mind), and having a website that is consistently out of date and lacking info. I spoke with Glenn a while back about setting up a wireless system and when he found out I used a 788t he recommended the Nomad. After I mentioned they weren't available he said, "no, they're shipping right now". Sorry, but at some point you haver to take responsibility for your mistakes. It's YOUR responsibility to set up your production process properly before you release a product. This isn't a demand issue, it's a lack of supply.

This isn't a demand issue, it's a lack of supply.

So i guess that you want Zaxcom to build Nomads and put them on a shelf until they have enough machines to ship to all the customers who want them at one time? That's just ridiculous. What is wrong with shipping them as they are built.

Please.....

Zaxcom is not RED!

They announced the nomad january last year and started shipping in october.

Red announced the scarlet in 2008 and .....

It's exactly the same as ordering a RED camera. They're popular. They are hand assembled and individually QC'd. There will be delays. Get over it, get in line if you want one.

Hmm interesting. I made a $500 deposit @ Gotham for my Nomad 8. Estimated delivery is 3 months but Chase says to expect it to be longer (6 months?) Since there is such a long wait, I had to go and buy a SD mixer/recorder set up to hold me up until then.

I'm trying no to do the same, specially because I can afford only one mixer/recorder - therefore SD or Nomad and that is it.

The Nomad was the jewel of the crown in the production sound kit I was setting up (got everything already except for it). But SIX MONTHS (!!!) is beyond reasonable, really! I've got to start working and this waiting is really a huge issue for me.

So i guess that you want Zaxcom to build Nomads and put them on a shelf until they have enough machines to ship to all the customers who want them at one time? That's just ridiculous. What is wrong with shipping them as they are built.

I think it's pretty clear what the problem is with that approach. And as I mentioned, many other company's have figured out how to do this efficiently and effectively.

It's exactly the same as ordering a RED camera. They're popular. They are hand assembled and individually QC'd. There will be delays. Get over it, get in line if you want one.

If that's the standard your willing to except then you deserve what you get. I just don't like rewarding companies who operate this way, when so many others go out of there way to do it better.

Maybe it's time to end this thread. When Zaxcom ships the Nomad, that's when the machine is ready. I ordered and paid in full for the Nomad several months ago from Trew Audio. I don't want it until Zaxcom is happy with it. I'm an old school sound guy, so, I have lot's of other systems to do my work while I'm waiting for Nomad. If you'r a young sound guy you should be even more particular about getting a machine that is bug proof, so, you should really not want it until it is perfect. If it takes a few months longer to perfect it, ... Great. The final product is what's important.

Ciao, Sully

Maybe it's time to end this thread. When Zaxcom ships the Nomad, that's when the machine is ready. I ordered and paid in full for the Nomad several months ago from Trew Audio. I don't want it until Zaxcom is happy with it. I'm an old school sound guy, so, I have lot's of other systems to do my work while I'm waiting for Nomad. If you'r a young sound guy you should be even more particular about getting a machine that is bug proof, so, you should really not want it until it is perfect. If it takes a few months longer to perfect it, ... Great. The final product is what's important.

Ciao, Sully

Er...but the Nomads ARE shipping. Just not in the quantities many people would like to see. The bug proofing is happening as people start to work with them. I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with this, but Zaxcom are not the only company to work this way.

I have some sympathy for Jason's views on this thread. It is frustrating to have the carrot dangled so dramatically and yet be no closer to seeing a result. Certainly I don't recall SD working like this.

Sadly I'm not one of the wise people who pre-ordered months ago and the UK seems likely to be a way down the pecking order.