Nomad when?

cinetj

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ J1mbo I ordered my Nomad 6 from Roger in Everything Audio in the middle of Dec and received it Jan 30th, maybe he ordered surplus units knowing(hoping?) that they would ship. I'd suggest giving him a call.

Perhaps being in a smaller market has advantages (probably more soundies in 2 or 3 major US cities than the UK as a whole) and therefore easier to satisfy the smaller demand.

Trev

ps hope my experience doesn't cause upset to those waiting months.

And as I mentioned, many other company's have figured out how to do this efficiently and effectively.

One issue here I believe is the demand for Nomads far exceeded Zaxcom's expectations. There were a fair number of pre-orders but when the units started shipping and the reviews and feedback started the number of orders escalated.

And Jason no company is truly immune from the potential where they don't have enough supply to meet the demand. Back in the summer of 2010 I ordered 4 Lectro 411's with SMQV. At the time Lectro was behind in filling orders - after a few missed delivery dates I got the units approximately 10 weeks after I ordered them.

@ J1mbo I ordered my Nomad 6 from Roger in Everything Audio in the middle of Dec and received it Jan 30th, maybe he ordered surplus units knowing(hoping?) that they would ship. I'd suggest giving him a call.

Perhaps being in a smaller market has advantages (probably more soundies in 2 or 3 major US cities than the UK as a whole) and therefore easier to satisfy the smaller demand.

Trev

ps hope my experience doesn't cause upset to those waiting months.

Really?!? Wow!!! I'll call him tomorrow!

Maybe it's time to end this thread. When Zaxcom ships the Nomad, that's when the machine is ready. I ordered and paid in full for the Nomad several months ago from Trew Audio. I don't want it until Zaxcom is happy with it. I'm an old school sound guy, so, I have lot's of other systems to do my work while I'm waiting for Nomad. If you'r a young sound guy you should be even more particular about getting a machine that is bug proof, so, you should really not want it until it is perfect. If it takes a few months longer to perfect it, ... Great. The final product is what's important.

Ciao, Sully

The point is, it doesn't have to be this way and it shouldn't be. As I keep mentioning, other small manufacturers have figured out how to release new products that are in high demand successfully without having to recall many of the units, or run out/low on important parts for the units, etc. I'm not bitter about having to wait for a Nomad. I have a 788t that I can use as long as needed. In fact, my Nomad shipped out already from Pro Sound. It's just is ridiculous how poorly this whole process was handled and very few people seem to hold Zaxcom accountable.

I agree with Jack on this everyone. Lectrosonics is a HUGE company compared to Zaxcom - they probably have triple the amount of workers at their facility. Zaxcom received literally HUNDREDS of orders for this machine. I don't care what company you want to mention, Zaxcom, Sound Devices, Lectro, whatever - NO ONE would be able to fulfill this type of order quickly enough to please everyone.

You also have to think about the companies where they buy their parts from. You have 8 million parts in a nomad (ok - 7 million). All it takes is for 1 part to be backordered and it fucks up the whole manufacturing line...

And Jason no company is truly immune from the potential where they don't have enough supply to meet the demand. Back in the summer of 2010 I ordered 4 Lectro 411's with SMQV. At the time Lectro was behind in filling orders - after a few missed delivery dates I got the units approximately 10 weeks after I ordered them.

Zaxcom is a great company, but they are also smaller than all of those other companies that you are mentioning and referring to. It takes time and money to make a product. Try ordering 1000 of each part that you need to make a product and see if you can afford to do that.

The point is, it doesn't have to be this way and it shouldn't be. As I keep mentioning, other small manufacturers have figured out how to release new products that are in high demand successfully without having to recall many of the units, or run out/low on important parts for the units, etc. I'm not bitter about having to wait for a Nomad. I have a 788t that I can use as long as needed. In fact, my Nomad shipped out already from Pro Sound. It's just is ridiculous how poorly this whole process was handled and very few people seem to hold Zaxcom accountable.

People need to relax and go get a snow cone or something...

Point well taken about the size of these companies compared to Zaxcom. I totally agree, and if this wasn't a failure on multiple levels I would be content with that alone being a justification for the lapse.

Regarding the 100's of orders: I can see not everyone being able to get one right away, that's totally understandable. But, the amount of people that had bad experiences, not just because they didn't get a Nomad right away is still shocking.

Looking for some guidance on the TC slate tone output, Version 2.74 software and I can not get the system to work. I have tone out to camera but no TC slate tone. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Settings? Nothing on the Noamd headphones either.

HI Paul,

My guess is that those sources are not assigned to the output that you want. Keep in mind that the Nomad has many output busses in addition to recording tracks, and until the system is understood it can be confusing, especially for those who have been using only analog mixers feeding separate recorders.

Probably the most common problem is in misunderstanding the difference between "CARD" (recording) buss and "OUTPUT" busses, and that there are different and multiple metering displays for the CARD tracks and OUTPUT busses. For example, until the system is understood, it would be easy to see a tone on Track 1 of the CARD meter display, and assume it was going to output #1. But for a source (input, tone, slate, etc) to go to a desired output, it must be assigned to that output in the BUS menus, which can only be metered in the correct output meter display. This might sound daunting, but once this is understood it makes sense.

Now that there is a manual, I suggest taking the Nomad in hand, with mic and headphones, and going through every feature and menu option and listed in the manual,. then do it again, then do it from memory. It will eventually click into several eureka moments. The Nomad has an incredible amount of versatility and user options, but this also means that there is more to understand.

[EDIT ADDED: Paul, I realize now that I probably misunderstood your question. The above info is still relevant for a lot of new users, but probably does not apply to your question]

Glen Trew

I think there are a few things that need to be clarified here.

1 Zaxcom has never put out a recall on the Nomad. Since it has started shipping we have had a single hardware update for the first 20 customers at their convenience. The problem was a diode that could cause a problem if the user installed the batteries backwards with external power applied.

2 We have never had a shortage of parts delay Nomad from shipping.

3 Nomad has shipped with a manual from day 1

4 Recommending Nomad for use with Zaxcom wireless or in any sound bag over any other mixer/recorder is something I will always do and I am proud to do. It is not only my job but it is the best solution in every bag application over existing solutions.

Nomad has been the best product development in the history of Zaxcom. From product inception to pilot production no “mistakes” were made and we are now in full production mode with a product that delights customers and gets better with each software revision. With the entire recording, wireless microphone, IFB and time code technology unified in a single product the Nomad was not easy to develop. We are very proud of the achievement and the high demand that comes along with it.

I know there are many who are eager to receive their Nomad quickly and we are working hard to put out a quality product as quickly as possible.

In my personal opinion I do not think there is a place here at JW sound for the false and negative statements that have been made here by Jason A. This is the kind of garbage that ruined RAMPS. We work very hard at Zaxcom to develop the kind of products that not just get the job done but do the job that others can’t. Innovation, customer service and quality are job 1 every day.

I hope to see as many of you as possible at the Zaxcom/Coffey sound seminar Saturday Feb 18 at 9:00 where we will demonstrate Nomad as the center of the all digital sound bag with many new features presented for the first time.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc

Did you guys really think that a small niche company like Zax with very complex high reliability products and a reputation to protect would be able to suddenly ship hundreds and hundreds of an entirely new machine right off the bat? I recall 744Ts being mighty hard to get when they first came out, this drama has been repeated with most popular new products designed for our use. If you order a new product like this you need to have something else in hand to work with until it gets delivered, and EXPECT delays.

phil p

Glenn-

1. The information that I received about the Nomads being sent back to factory was in reference to the diode problem, as well as a group that Coffey Sound said had to be shipped back from their store. If that wasn't the case, you can take it up with them. I can direct you to the person with that info via PM. Even though those units weren't in the hands of customers yet, many had paid for them and were severely inconvenianced because of that mistake.

2. Again, the sales people at Coffey said repeatedly that there was a part that was unavailable that was holding up production. In fact that they had just spoken with someone at Zaxcom just before they spoke with me.

3. Regarding the manual: I meant to include that with the website comment. There wasn't a manual available on the website for quite some time. Not a huge deal, but still odd.

Glenn- I have no need, or interest to spread misinformation. As you can read above I had good reason to believe that all the above statements were true. If the salespeople at Coffey are lying to everyone that's a different issue, but I just had know reason to make that assumption. I am not an isolated case here. Other sound mixers in my area were told the exact same thing. Hopefully you can see why this would be frustrating to a customer.

I think there are a few things that need to be clarified here.

1 Zaxcom has never put out a recall on the Nomad. Since it has started shipping we have had a single hardware update for the first 20 customers at their convenience. The problem was a diode that could cause a problem if the user installed the batteries backwards with external power applied.

2 We have never had a shortage of parts delay Nomad from shipping.

3 Nomad has shipped with a manual from day 1

4 Recommending Nomad for use with Zaxcom wireless or in any sound bag over any other mixer/recorder is something I will always do and I am proud to do. It is not only my job but it is the best solution in every bag application over existing solutions.

Nomad has been the best product development in the history of Zaxcom. From product inception to pilot production no “mistakes” were made and we are now in full production mode with a product that delights customers and gets better with each software revision. With the entire recording, wireless microphone, IFB and time code technology unified in a single product the Nomad was not easy to develop. We are very proud of the achievement and the high demand that comes along with it.

I know there are many who are eager to receive their Nomad quickly and we are working hard to put out a quality product as quickly as possible.

In my personal opinion I do not think there is a place here at JW sound for the false and negative statements that have been made here by Jason A. This is the kind of garbage that ruined RAMPS. We work very hard at Zaxcom to develop the kind of products that not just get the job done but do the job that others can’t. Innovation, customer service and quality are job 1 every day.

I hope to see as many of you as possible at the Zaxcom/Coffey sound seminar Saturday Feb 18 at 9:00 where we will demonstrate Nomad as the center of the all digital sound bag with many new features presented for the first time.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

Now that there is a manual, I suggest taking the Nomad in hand, with mic and headphones, and going through every feature and menu option and listed in the manual,. then do it again, then do it from memory. It will eventually click into several eureka moments. The Nomad has an incredible amount of versatility and user options, but this also means that there is more to understand.

Glen Trew

It was always clear that people should deposit to get a Nomad. This is a boutique item that everybody wants. I am sure after most pre orders are complete you would be able to get one right away. The same situation happens with Sony and panasonic. People waited more for af100

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Okay, we've endured redundant ranting from some in this thread so I'll add my couple of pennies.

Zaxcom is a small, but quite innovative company. Those not savvy enough to understand this and Zaxcom's niche in the industry should buy elsewhere. Problem solved. Sound Devices equipment and service is excellent. Lectrosonics gear and customer support is top notch. You have choices.

As the Nomad was in the process of rolling out, the company was also fulfilling what was probably one of the largest orders they had ever received from one particular client -- hundreds of wireless units along with support gear. Meanwhile Zaxcom worked hard to keep developing the Nomad and improving all aspects of the machine. This is obvious if you've followed any of Jack N.'s writings and discussions over the past year.

With the critical functions shown to be stable, Zaxcom released the units with the full disclosure of which features were yet to be implemented. Perhaps frustrating if you're anxious for those specific features, but they were up front about it. The lesson there is, I guess, people who can't read should never buy Zaxcom.

Maybe to make certain individuals happy they should have waited a year, finished Nomad's features, stockpiled a massive inventory, and only then released such an innovative device. Instead, they decided to make many times more people happy by releasing the unit when they did.

The demand for Nomad was high even before it was released. Then, once the Nomad came out and the reviews came in, the demand skyrocketed.

Yes, Zaxcom was at fault for making a machine everyone suddenly wanted -- how dare they -- what could they have been thinking!

If only Zaxcom had their gear made in China sweatshops, they could crank them out by the millions. Unfortunately, for those who want instant gratification, your best bet is to stand in line for the next iPhone as the economy of scale for our industry is much different. So, instead of sourcing the manufacturing off-shore, they're proudly made in America. Quite a few of the unique devices and accessories we use in our industry are made in the USA. It's a nice point of pride for those of us who call this country home.

It's not uncommon for software-driven devices to make updates that improve and refine functions. It's also not uncommon for some software versions to need rapid replacement due to some unforseen idiosyncrasy. It's rather common, in fact. How quick, and forthcoming, a manufacturer is to react to that need speaks loudly about the company. Zaxcom has been amazingly reactive and interactive with their further development of the Nomad software and deserve to be commended for that.

It's obvious there are people on this board who haven't a clue what the demands of manufacturing and distribution are. The good news is -- if life on the bleeding edge is too dangerous for you there are plenty of other places to be.

If only Zaxcom had their gear made in China sweatshops, they could crank them out by the millions. Unfortunately, for those who want instant gratification, your best bet is to stand in line for the next iPhone as the economy of scale for our industry is much different. So, instead of sourcing the manufacturing off-shore, they're proudly made in America.

My Foxconn comment was half joke and half not. I've been to Zaxcom, so I know the size of their facility (unless there is also a secret factory somewhere). I'm sure this is frustrating to some people waiting for a Nomad, but it really seems like the demand is off the charts. Remember that a lot of people in our biz don't post here, so it's not like every single Nomad shipped is being reported here.

I know that everything will calm down when initial demand levels out. I bought a Fusion about 2 years ago, and I got it in maybe a week of ordering it. It was not off the shelf at the dealer. As far as I can tell, it was "built" to my specs. The Fusion does not have as many versions as the Nomad, but there were options.

John- Since i was planning on, and now have bought a Nomad, I followed the the progress as posted on this site very closely. I have no complaints about features being available at a later time as software is updated. Especially because Zaxcom was very upfront about this. My main concern is with how the connection and communication between Zaxcom, the retailers and the customers was handled. I am well aware of how innovative Zaxcom is, and that is why I bought their product. That still does not give a pass for the situation that so many customers ended up in. Maybe it was more of a fault on the retail side, but they seem to not think so. You can belittle the people on this board that have spoken out about being disappointed all you want, but the fact is they are just customers that have had a bad experience no matter which way you try to spin it.

Okay, we've endured redundant ranting from some in this thread so I'll add my couple of pennies.

Zaxcom is a small, but quite innovative company. Those not savvy enough to understand this and Zaxcom's niche in the industry should buy elsewhere. Problem solved. Sound Devices equipment and service is excellent. Lectrosonics gear and customer support is top notch. You have choices.

As the Nomad was in the process of rolling out, the company was also fulfilling what was probably one of the largest orders they had ever received from one particular client -- hundreds of wireless units along with support gear. Meanwhile Zaxcom worked hard to keep developing the Nomad and improving all aspects of the machine. This is obvious if you've followed any of Jack N.'s writings and discussions over the past year.

With the critical functions shown to be stable, Zaxcom released the units with the full disclosure of which features were yet to be implemented. Perhaps frustrating if you're anxious for those specific features, but they were up front about it. The lesson there is, I guess, people who can't read should never buy Zaxcom.

Maybe to make certain individuals happy they should have waited a year, finished Nomad's features, stockpiled a massive inventory, and only then released such an innovative device. Instead, they decided to make many times more people happy by releasing the unit when they did.

The demand for Nomad was high even before it was released. Then, once the Nomad came out and the reviews came in, the demand skyrocketed.

Yes, Zaxcom was at fault for making a machine everyone suddenly wanted -- how dare they -- what could they have been thinking!

If only Zaxcom had their gear made in China sweatshops, they could crank them out by the millions. Unfortunately, for those who want instant gratification, your best bet is to stand in line for the next iPhone as the economy of scale for our industry is much different. So, instead of sourcing the manufacturing off-shore, they're proudly made in America. Quite a few of the unique devices and accessories we use in our industry are made in the USA. It's a nice point of pride for those of us who call this country home.

It's not uncommon for software-driven devices to make updates that improve and refine functions. It's also not uncommon for some software versions to need rapid replacement due to some unforseen idiosyncrasy. It's rather common, in fact. How quick, and forthcoming, a manufacturer is to react to that need speaks loudly about the company. Zaxcom has been amazingly reactive and interactive with their further development of the Nomad software and deserve to be commended for that.

It's obvious there are people on this board who haven't a clue what the demands of manufacturing and distribution are. The good news is -- if life on the bleeding edge is too dangerous for you there are plenty of other places to be.

John- Since i was planning on, and now have bought a Nomad, I followed the the progress as posted on this site very closely. I have no complaints about features being available at a later time as software is updated. Especially because Zaxcom was very upfront about this. My main concern is with how the connection and communication between Zaxcom, the retailers and the customers was handled. I am well aware of how innovative Zaxcom is, and that is why I bought their product. That still does not give a pass for the situation that so many customers ended up in. Maybe it was more of a fault on the retail side, but they seem to not think so. You can belittle the people on this board that have spoken out about being disappointed all you want, but the fact is they are just customers that have had a bad experience no matter which way you try to spin it.

I'm one of those customers you speak of in the abstract. I guess I have special powers that allow me to understand that Zaxcom and its dealers got deluged with orders beyond what anyone anticipated. The reason they did: Zaxcom hit the nail square on the head with this product and the demand is overwhelming. Sure, I'm anxious to get my Nomad, but my "special powers" allow me to understand the situation.

My point is, if you want a Nomad, understand the circumstances, suck it up, and wait. If you are angry at Zaxcom for producing a high demand device, buy something else. The competition has excellent products, too.

These issues exist with many new products with high initial demand, not just with this one as has been claimed in this thread. Anyone who relies on a new, yet to be delivered product, for their key work, is setting themselves up for problems. Go with what you know.

I realize that since I have one on order, I'm part of the delivery issue. If you bought one, you are too. The difference is, I accept my complicity in this.

My rant was not aimed specifically at you, just my reaction to various things I've read here -- but apparently, Carly Simon was right.

Enough!

Please -- Enjoy your Nomad.

There is just no pleasing everyone. People get frustrated because they do not get their product as fast as they want. But if they do, it may have bugs.

Patience is a virtue people. Snow Cone?

Point well taken about the size of these companies compared to Zaxcom. I totally agree, and if this wasn't a failure on multiple levels I would be content with that alone being a justification for the lapse.

Regarding the 100's of orders: I can see not everyone being able to get one right away, that's totally understandable. But, the amount of people that had bad experiences, not just because they didn't get a Nomad right away is still shocking.