Sony MDR7506 headphone plug

OmahaAudio

Just an FYI for anyone that has lost the screw-in 1/8inch to 1/4 inch adapter supplied with the headphone only to find it not lised on any Sony website (that I could find) can use these $4 adapters made for KRK headphones that screw in to an MDR7506 and work just fine.

KRK KNS 1/8 Inch to 1/4 Inch Screw In Headphone Adapter:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-KRK-CONK00007-LIST

The Marantz PMD661 uses a 1/4" jack, but that's the only thing I have ever encountered.

Oh yea you're right! I had that unit for a bit too, I should have remembered that.

deva and fusion have only 1/4" jacks

Never had those, I went the Sound Devices route.

I hate those damned adapters. I prefer to rip the 3.5mm plugs off and get them replaced with heavy-duty 1/4" connectors. (Except for rare cases where I have to use the 3.5mm jacks, like if I use the SD744t recorder without a mixer.)

I really like the Ampohenol TM2PN 1/4" headphone plugs, which are the nicest-looking, most reliable 1/4" connectors I've found. Blake Wilcox uses those over at Wilcox Audio in Burbank, and I've had most of my 7506's replaced with those. They're not cheap, though -- about $7-$8 each. Both Wilcox and Trew Audio also have a mod for the 7506's where they'll replace the coiled cable with a straight cable, which is another one of my pet peeves; I much prefer the straight cable.

Those adaptors are always a pain in the arse, I use a combination of SQN and Sound Devices mixers, and a 744T, I try and leave the adaptor in the 1/4 inch socket in the SQN, but it doesn't always want to stay there.... I keep meaning to make up a cable that'll put my headphone outs in a more convenient place, but I never seem to find the time.

Thanks for the link. Interestingly I have a couple extra of these adapters and I'm not sure how that came to pass.

Good to know! Although other than headphone amps I honestly don't have anything that uses anything other than a 3.5 TRS connection. So I never really used those adapters myself.

The 3.5mm is necessary to check the signal at the camera. 99% of the work I do requires this.

Good resource. I don't understand the issue people have with the connectors, but of course it's opinion only. I love the screw on connectors. They can't pull out and you have the option of 1/4" or 1/8". Keeping track of them is no different than keeping track of other connectors and small cables, rechargeable batteries, etc. that we use daily.

Guess I'm the odd ball out. I love the design.

The 3.5mm is necessary to check the signal at the camera. 99% of the work I do requires this.

I always carry along a crappy set of MDR-V2's (similar to the MDR-7502's) with a mini-plug on it specifically for monitoring at the camera. Even a 25-year-old headset will tell me if there's distortion in the camera feed. I always, always check the camera feed on shoots that require them, and I also offer to leave the headset with the camera operator if they want it. And I also try to re-check the feed on a break, "just in case." Some of the camera ops I work with have a tendency to bump audio level knobs when you least expect them.

And I also carry a large variety of adapters just for those horrible emergency situations. I don't like to use them, but they do come in handy for those last-minute emergencies -- like a corporate job where you're confronted with a speech presentation, and their audio board only has RCA phono plug outs (or vice-versa).

I hate those damned adapters. I prefer to rip the 3.5mm plugs off and get them replaced with heavy-duty 1/4" connectors. (Except for rare cases where I have to use the 3.5mm jacks, like if I use the SD744t recorder without a mixer.)

I really like the Ampohenol TM2PN 1/4" headphone plugs, which are the nicest-looking, most reliable 1/4" connectors I've found. Blake Wilcox uses those over at Wilcox Audio in Burbank, and I've had most of my 7506's replaced with those. They're not cheap, though -- about $7-$8 each. Both Wilcox and Trew Audio also have a mod for the 7506's where they'll replace the coiled cable with a straight cable, which is another one of my pet peeves; I much prefer the straight cable.

Looks like a Neutrik part to me.

I'm not too particular when it comes to 1/4" phone plugs, have used Switchcraft, Amphenol, Neutrik, Calrad, etc., but what warms my heart and triggers the old nostalgia button: Marc's mention of Koss Pro-4A's !! I would probably hate the sound if I heard them today, but in the day... wow.

I'm not too particular when it comes to 1/4" phone plugs, have used Switchcraft, Amphenol, Neutrik, Calrad, etc., but what warms my heart and triggers the old nostalgia button: Marc's mention of Koss Pro-4A's !! I would probably hate the sound if I heard them today, but in the day... wow.

You mean the Koss HP's like the ones hanging on the light in the picture of one iteration of my first component stereo in 1960?

post-22-0-24745700-1327935856.jpg

The first time I ever heard stereo from a recording was with Pro-4AA's in the library (circa 1968 or so). I was totally stunned, convinced everybody in the building could hear it!

The Pro-4AA's do have a kind of weird sound, and it doesn't help that they weigh like 10 pounds. It's kinda like wearing a brick on each ear! Incredibly, Koss is still making them, and they sell for about $75 (actually cheaper than they were in 1970 dollars).

"And I also try to re-check the feed on a break, "just in case." Some of the camera ops I work with have a tendency to bump audio level knobs when you least expect them."

I've been minorly burned by this and now tape down the gain controls, while I'm calibrating, because even taping them down can change the levels on you. Of course, I always ask before gaffing their camera and they always say yes.

I find that camera ops will be pretty hard on my return 3.5mm cable and sometimes pull them out enough that I lose the feed...haven't found a way to solve that issue yet... probably more tape