Soldering Sanken CUB-01

Saif and Sound

Just was wondering if anyone has any experience with soldering different connectors on the Sanken CUB-01. Im thinking of just buying it without any connectors and putting my own 3pin XLR-M. Is there anything in particular to look out for soldering wise? Or is it just straight forward 1 to 1, 2 to 2, and 3 to 3? As far as XLR is concerned.

Well I was looking on B&H and it's 322.15 for the unterminated version with just the leads. If you buy it with the XLR already on it, it's 489.00. That's like $167.00 difference over a 3.00 connector. That's why i was wondering if there was any special wiring involved or if it was just typical XLR wiring. If so, than i can totally do it myself.

The CUB works like a lav. Simply connecting it to an XLR and sending Phantom to it will probably(?) blow it up. The XLR connection installed at the factory (it's pretty sizeable) converts the 48V to something (most likely 5V) the mic can use. This is why the CUB can be used with wireless transmitters as well...

Taken from the Lectro Website:

The Sanken CUB-01 boundary mic does not seem to have the usual FET output stage and also seems to have a large capacitor across the power supply lead (bias lead). This means that it can't be wired as the usual three wire microphone with the SM. The wiring below seems to work well and is fully compatible with our other transmitters.

• Our pin 1 to Sanken shield (ground).
  • Our pin 2 to Sanken black wire (5 Volt power).
  • Our pin 3 to a 511 Ohm resistor and the other end to Sanken white wire (audio). This matches well to our 300 Ohm input input while providing a satisfactory 811 Ohms to the Sanken mic.
  • Our pins 4 and 5 no connections.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

The Wisycom MTP40 transmitter has the capability to power a phantom powered microphone via the PHA48 adapter.  This is used along with a CAL48 (3-pin lemo to TA5-F) cable. In the transmitter menu, you would set the lav mic preset to "Phantom" and adjust your gain level.  Look under the accessories tab on the webpage.

http://www.wisycom.com/www3/products/category/bodypack_transmitters

I want to wire the CUB directly to the lemo 3 pin. I already have one like that and works perfect. Any ideas about how to wire it? It should be the same as for the senny's SK50

Diego,

We are working on building one this week and will get back to you with more info.

Gary

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 10:56 PM, Apcki said:

Curious, has anyone soldered a cub to lemo 3 for zaxcom zmts? 

"It Depends"  

I'm sure its possible but I cant seem to find the specs on the sanken website about its operational voltage. BH give me 3-14 so I would assume yes for now.