I love my new Sennheiser 8060

Chris McCallum

We had an Rycote 3 and an Rycote 4. Most of the time, we used the Mic with the Nr. 3. But on realy windy days we had to use the Nr. 4.

The mic sounds great in an blimp. The problem is just, if you wana use it indoor, without an blimp. Than you should be awear of the fact, that with the foem you change the sound of the mic very rapidly. More than with any other mic+foam combination I have worked with (MKH416, MKH60 or Neumann KMR81) On the other hand if you use it just naked, you have to boom very carefuly and you can not make fast movements. I mean you have to move the MKH8060 realy realy slow to avoid wind noices!!! You have to move much more carefuly than with any of these other mices naked.

And the MKH8060 sounds great inside. We used it in many acoustical bad rooms (Kitchen, Bathroom....) and it performed graet!

So, If you have to follow an actor, while he is walking arround, or havo to swing between two or more actors and you don't wana use a blimp just the foem (indoors) you should know, that the mic is loosing a lot of its cool sound.

I've haven't found a reasonable way of mounting the foam on the mic with the MZL connbox attached, so have been using keeping the WS1 on indoors

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like my 8060 too!  It has a forgiving off axis, great reach, lightweight/small, very low noise and has the "punch" of my 8050/50.  It's not the best when it comes to directionality (for that I'd choose my CS3e) but it works wonders in an ENG situation where you need a decent amount of off axis attenuation but still need to be able to cue up unscripted dialog without loosing much dialog in the transitions.  It's a mic that has character, like all the MKH series.  Some like that, some don't :-)

I've also been very pleased with mine. I especially love the light weight of it. That said, I have got some mystery RF pickup from a certain set light dimmer that the 416p I swapped it for didn't exhibit. It was fine for a day and a half and then just popped up during one shot when the boom op moved.

16 hours ago, jhharvest said:

I've also been very pleased with mine. I especially love the light weight of it. That said, I have got some mystery RF pickup from a certain set light dimmer that the 416p I swapped it for didn't exhibit. It was fine for a day and a half and then just popped up during one shot when the boom op moved.

Defective mic.

MKH8060 does not exhibit any RF problems...

I chose the 8060 for my first ENG kit and I'm enjoying it a lot. Currently just using a Rycote Super Softie for wind protection and I'm loving how lightweight and low-profile it is, however it is a bit of a tight fit getting the super softie and the lyre grip onto such a short mic.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, MondoBurger said:

I chose the 8060 for my first ENG kit and I'm enjoying it a lot. Currently just using a Rycote Super Softie for wind protection and I'm loving how lightweight and low-profile it is, however it is a bit of a tight fit getting the super softie and the lyre grip onto such a short mic.

what mount are you using?

• 9 months later...