This story is too funny to pass up..

Richard Ragon

Last Saturday.. I'm asleep in my nice warm bed. The phone rings about 5am. A producer calling. I couldn't make it out of my bed fast enough, but I called him right back.

He says that his sound guy just got into a bad accident, and just totalled his car on the freeway. Can I make it there by 8am? So, this makes my brain start searching, trying to think about all the stuff I wanted to get done that day, or appointments that I had, or any other commitments I might have made.

I asked him about the gig, and what does it entail. And I then asked what does the gig pay?

The voice on the end says, $50 bucks.. I said, 50/ per hour? He says.. no, $50 bucks..

I reach my window, and look outside.. It's pouring down rain..

So, I say.. "Hey, you know what.. I've got some stuff to do today.. But thanks for calling me anyway.." I then promptly got back in my nice warm bed.

Somewhere out there, was a sound mixer, working for $50?? And he crashed his car on the freeway? I don't even know what to say...

-Richard

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Just... wow.

This reminds me of a call I got at around 6AM a couple months ago. This is a re-post from my FaceBook page so I'm quoting myself:

‎**Really? MOS all day?**

8:30AM

Caller: (flustered) Hi, we're looking for a last minute sound mixer for today. We're about 20 minutes outside of NYC and need you now. Are you available?

Me: I might be able to help you, but it's going to b...

Caller: (interrupts) Yeah, we're working with $100. That's what I have to tell you.

Me: ...

8:31AM

Me: I'm so sorry, I won't be able to work with that.

Caller: Yeah, okay, thanks anyway.

Somewhere out there, someone either took that gig for $100, drove 20 or more minutes with their gear and worked a 12 hour day, or they shot MOS all day. Either one of those outcomes is despicable.

Speechless ... Producers know you've been on the top ropes and he calls for you to help out down in the trenches on a rainy day, and whoever this $50 guy that took the gig thumbs up to him! Karma bites.

I mean, last week I was down in OC shooting a SAG film and the only crew outside of SoCal to be coming in for this gig. The AC, who used to do sound before with a 744/302, had some ego problems and thought it was such an easier position than doing AC. Kindly asked him if he had any boom ops helping him and he replied with a certain "NO." Some people just don't get it. Reading these kinds of war stories makes you appreciate the amount of No's you say to productions every year.

Keep these coming Richard.

Last Saturday.. I'm asleep in my nice warm bed. The phone rings about 5am. A producer calling. I couldn't make it out of my bed fast enough, but I called him right back.

He says that his sound guy just got into a bad accident, and just totalled his car on the freeway. Can I make it there by 8am? So, this makes my brain start searching, trying to think about all the stuff I wanted to get done that day, or apointments that I had, or any other commitments I might have made.

I asked him about the gig, and what does it entail. And I then asked what does the gig pay?

The voice on the end says, $50 bucks.. I said, 50/ per hour? He says.. no, $50 bucks..

I reach my window, and look outside.. It's pouring down rain..

So, I say.. "Hey, you know what.. I've got some stuff to do today.. But thanks for calling me anyway.." I then promptly got back in my nice warm bed.

Somewhere out there, was a sound mixer, working for $50?? And he crashed his car on the freeway? I don't even know what to say...

-Richard

sounds a lot like the call I got around 5:30 last saturday...

a couple months ago I helped a friend out with a film for a really low rate. I was only able to do a few of the first of 8 days. about 2 weeks ago I got a call from their post guy asking where sound for day 7 and 8 was. "I wasn't there" I replied. "It is probably with whoever recorded it" After arguing with them for a good 15 minutes about why I don't have a copy of the sound for days I wasn't there I finally hung up.

A different person from that production calls me every couple of days asking about what they can do about the missing sound.

a couple months ago I helped a friend out with a film for a really low rate. I was only able to do a few of the first of 8 days. about 2 weeks ago I got a call from their post guy asking where sound for day 7 and 8 was. "I wasn't there" I replied. "It is probably with whoever recorded it" After arguing with them for a good 15 minutes about why I don't have a copy of the sound for days I wasn't there I finally hung up.

A different person from that production calls me every couple of days asking about what they can do about the missing sound.

Hahaha that is really funny.

Richard, you're totally right, and I know you didn't, but part of me just wishes you had just said it to them. I always bite my tongue as well, since this is a small world we work in and being professional is all part of the gig, even when they make you nuts, but man that would have felt good, huh?

It reminds me that just like it is our fault when we accept projects at low rates, it is the producer's fault when they accept projects that are under-funded and cannot be completed adequately.

But alas, the entire industry (read: world) is pressed right now, and most people lose their senses when they are under pressure. And so the most wicked amongst us take advantage, and these The Lions roam the streets in search of prey.

"Oh deer, what shall we do?", people think...

Not negotiating with the metaphorical terrorist is a good way to start. As Crew and others have said time and time again.

Saying 'No' is the only power we have.

I got a call a few weeks ago, to do a Boom/playback gig on a puppet show. They told me it was 4 days of shooting, and 3 days for set up and dance rehearsals. I would also had to supply the playback audio gear. I asked what was in there budget for all of this and they said. "400". I quickly did the math and said thats under 60 bucks a day(57.14 per day which will probably be about 12hr day) Knowning that it was gonna be about 12 hours per day, means i would be only making 4.75 an hour...... I think thats illegal. haha Let alone insulting.

Plus to throw the play-back gear in for a free kit rental. No thanks, i could use the 400 bucks but, i think i will sit around and work on my taxes instead.

I got a call a few weeks ago, to do a Boom/playback gig on a puppet show. They told me it was 4 days of shooting, and 3 days for set up and dance rehearsals. I would also had to supply the playback audio gear. I asked what was in there budget for all of this and they said. "400". I quickly did the math and said thats under 60 bucks a day(57.14 per day which will probably be about 12hr day) Knowning that it was gonna be about 12 hours per day, means i would be only making 4.75 an hour...... I think thats illegal. haha Let alone insulting.

Plus to throw the play-back gear in for a free kit rental. No thanks, i could use the 400 bucks but, i think i will sit around and work on my taxes instead.

Tell them you're better off buying a Southwest Airlines ticket to take a minimum wage gig @ McDonald's in Wyoming.

They pay more than the puppet gig.

R

He says that his sound guy just got into a bad accident, and just totalled his car on the freeway. Can I make it there by 8am?

Oh, I've gotten a few of those calls. Usually what happens to me is, they call at 10PM at night and say, "ummm, our sound guy just cancelled, we remembered your resume... do you think you could make our call time at 6AM?"

I ask how much, and it's typically lower than I'll get out of bed for (raining or not), and I tell them, "I mean no disrespect, but the gear rental alone costs more than that." I try very hard not to be hostile about it, tell them to please keep me in mind if and when they get a bigger budget, and I'll be glad to work out a reasonable rate for both of us.

I figure, I'm probably the fourth or fifth guy he's called, and the guy's probably gotten his head bit off already. I try to be nice that way.

I asked what was in there budget for all of this and they said. "400". I quickly did the math and said thats under 60 bucks a day(57.14 per day which will probably be about 12hr day) Knowning that it was gonna be about 12 hours per day, means i would be only making 4.75 an hour...... I think thats illegal.

Is that with or without the Subway Tuna?

In a few extreme cases, I've sent producers the link to my little cartoon. The nice ones will tell me, "hey, that's pretty funny and very true! Sorry that we have no money."

Oh, I've gotten a few of those calls. Usually what happens to me is, they call at 10PM at night and say, "ummm, our sound guy just cancelled, we remembered your resume... do you think you could make our call time at 6AM?"

I ask how much, and it's typically lower than I'll get out of bed for (raining or not), and I tell them, "I mean no disrespect, but the gear rental alone costs more than that." I try very hard not to be hostile about it, tell them to please keep me in mind if and when they get a bigger budget, and I'll be glad to work out a reasonable rate for both of us.

I figure, I'm probably the fourth or fifth guy he's called, and the guy's probably gotten his head bit off already. I'm nice that way.

You're smart that way.

How much do you want to bet the $50 mixer looked out his rain-spattered window at 5am and said to himself, "I wonder if they'll believe I crashed my car?"

You know Robert.. That thought had occurred to me.. I've heard.. "previous Sound Mixer had a family emergency" one too many times now too already.

-Richard