This story is too funny to pass up..

Richard Ragon

They should know the "boom" is included, boom pole extra. Actually..depends on how loud of a "boom" they want.

Sound guy,

Out of masochistic curiosity, what market is this? Sounds like mine.

"

LA

it's for the guy who does a lot of crazy herbal pills and supplements.

I don't see myself taking this gig.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that we get "whatever is left in the budget?"

I remember a few months ago, I was doing a gig (not as sound recordist) just to pass some time between a couple of other gigs I had lined up. It was only like a 2 day shoot or something. Anyway, they were shooting on an alexa, I was just sitting around DITing it up, and, while I was there the steadycam op rocked up. He was a mate of mine and we got talking, and I asked him how much he was getting for this gig. He told me it was $600 for the two hours he was scheduled to be there. I was like, oh, nice.

Later the rest of the crew came in and, me also being a soundie, went up to the soundie and started talking etc etc. I found out he had only really been doing for a few months, that the producer had told him there was no money for a boom op, that he was only being paid $150 for the gig and that some of the gear hire would come out of that (because, their rationale was, he didn't have gear up to their expectations so they "persuaded" him to hire a SD 744t and a sanken cs3e)... So in the end he probably got.... nothing?

So, I can really understand how misunderstood soundies can be to producers. I kinda feel sorry for people like this guy, who for the want of getting experience have come to be massively exploited, he's probably going to come out of the experience for the worse, and who knows, maybe give up on that dream of being a sound recordist (and I know of heaps of other guys in the same position just lining up). I'm pretty new as well, and, what I've come to notice (Im sure you guys all know about it well already) that it always comes down to camera dept gets priority, then electrics, then art dept, then everything else, now.... who have I forgotten... Oh right, sound... what have we got left? hrmm.... lets just get your cousin to do it. Since last year, I've just become a lot firmer when negotiating with producers. I know there is basically bugger all work in Melbourne at the moment, but, even then, I can't accept despicably low rates as shown in the production I told u guys about above. I let the producer know that sound is just as important as vision, if not more so, and because its only going to be me, a boom op and possibly an assistant, MORE money should be allocated in our dept to make sure they get the sound that will really benefit the sound, and save time in the edit.

I think it's just another case of being upfront with producers about where their priorities SHOULD lie.

After investing in all the sound gear, now have to budget for bells and whistles. I suppose I could whistle while I boom..an unorthodox slate of sorts. Playing bells poses more problems:

Need Sound Guy with lavaliers (Chicago)

Date: 2012-02-15, 3:42PM CST

Reply to: 7rsxd-2853298892@gigs.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Need sound guy with bells and whistles and lavalier mikes

for 5 minute short

shooting 3-4 non-consecutive days

on canon 5D

$50-$75.00 per day(depending on if its 4 or 8 hour shoot) plus food plus parking (shoot mostly DT chicago)

Must be reliable, ethical, diligent, not a flake, work well with DP's and director

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A number of responses, including the CL translator

After investing in all the sound gear, now have to budget for bells and whistles. I suppose I could whistle while I boom..an unorthodox slate of sorts. Playing bells poses more problems:

for 5 minute short

on canon 5D

$50-$75.00 per day(depending on if its 4 or 8 hour shoot) plus food plus parking (shoot mostly DT chicago)

Must be reliable, ethical, diligent, not a flake, work well with DP's and director

I love how all these lowballers offer a lower hourly rate for longer days. 12.50 if it's a short day, 9.38 for a full day.

for 5 minute short

on canon 5D

Not sure whether to laugh or cry when I see "gigs" like these posted. Maybe it's because I'm primarily a doc guy who works out of a bag, but I have'nt seen many of those here in the Toronto market. Maybe I'm just fortunate to not be involved in the art film scene.

I especially like the part about not being a flake....perhaps it should say something more appropriate to the rate...something like:

"Must be desperate, dim-witted, and not currently institutionalized"

Yikes.

I understand the twinge of pain that some of these listings and requests cause. I find humor in many of them, too. However let's look at it another way. If you were a master carpenter and saw an ad:

"Wanted, someone to help me build a bird feeder. Must have your own tools. No money, but the great satisfaction that comes from building a nifty feeder for pretty little birdies."

Would you, as a master carpenter, give it a second thought? No. It's something entirely apart from what you do as a professional. Heck, on your day off you might even drop by to see if you could give them any pointers they could use. What you wouldn't reasonably do is get upset that someone is building a bird feeder without hiring a professional, fully-paid, crew.

It's called, perspective. Someone who dreams of being a filmmaker, and gives you a call, may not have the experience to have this perspective. You, as a professional, should.

I love how all these lowballers offer a lower hourly rate for longer days. 12.50 if it's a short day, 9.38 for a full day.

Well, they also pay for parking. I'd just tell them I need another $550 a day for parking my van. (I have a very, very expensive parking lot.)

That "Translator" glossary is terrific:

Sometimes the language used on the Craigslist "crew" page can be a bit... well.. vague. I have come up with this helpful translator to help folks navigate the posts. I hope it helps.

"Horror film": We are shooting a movie in my Mom's basement in the 'burbs.

"Zombie Movie": We are shooting a movie in a muddy field in the 'burbs.

"Meals will be provided": My Mom is making us sandwiches.

"Could lead to more paying work": It won't lead to more work.

"Reality show pilot": Shoot this for me for free so I can sell it and hire a real crew.

"Will be submitting to festivals": We will blindly send this out to Sundance where it will be thrown into a pile of DVD's from other non-connected filmmakers.

"Seeking Producer": I'm too lazy to raise funds to shoot my movie.

"Must have pro gear": I'm too lazy to raise funds to rent pro gear.

"Great addition to your reel": There is no pay.

"Recent Graduate": There is no pay.

"This would be great for a student": There is no pay.

"Sketch comedy troupe": There is no pay.

"YouTube": There is no pay.

I would add a few more:

"We're doing it for the love of cinema." There really is no pay.

"We're shooting a sizzle reel." The only sizzle you'll hear is when you visit the producer cooking fries at McDonald's.

"We're shooting it on the Red." We don't care about paying anybody, but by god, we have 4K. Even though the only thing anyone will ever see is a crap YouTube copy.

"We have a great script." Provided I can figure out how to print from this stolen copy of Final Draft.

"We have a dedicated crew." People even more desperate than you to work for free.

Do I sound bitter? smiley_angry.gif

I think if you want to get "bells and whistles" and demand professional qualities for low pay, would be good to sell the project first. They come across less like film buddies and more like jerks who know enough to know how to get something for next to nothing. Not sure a master carpenter would do a bird feeder on a day off with an ad of similar tone.

Sorry...wouldn't add anything further except this is very creative financing:

IMDB credit offered for $10 donations (loop)

Date: 2012-02-16, 3:09PM CST

Reply to: k57b3-2854982290@gigs.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hello,

I'm producing a short film, CRITICAL MASS, and seeking donations to fill the $2,000 budget. I'm offering "special thanks" credit with a donation of $10.

Once my film is released in September, I can do one of two things

1) create an IMDB page to your name using the special thanks credit (if you don't already have a page to your name)

2) give your IMDB page with a special thanks credit

Either way, it is an excellent way to build your online background. IMDB pages cannot be made without you working on an IMDB qualifying project!

IMDB is the number one online resource for all things cinema, and most professions jobs will not hire someone who doesn't already have a page to their name.

My film is titled Critical Mass, and will be shooting in a month.

Visit the Kickstarter page for more details:

http://kck.st/t03lgo

Or our homepage

http://www.CriticalMassmovie.net

Just hung up the phone from a gig offering 150/day. They told me they do a lot of productions in vancouver and they could get me more gigs later.

I told her I couldn't come out for that little

She then gave me a whole lesson on how the industry works.

When production can't answer the question "what are the details", you know you are in for an interesting conversation.

she mostly just rambled for a while and told me how I need to work for 150/day to get started.

I don't think she had actually looked at my resume or gear list.

I should also mention that arguing with and disrespecting the guy you are trying to get to do your sound is probably not a good way to talk someone into believing in your project, and probably not a good start to your filming weekend.

If we can not have a productive conversation for more than 10 seconds, chances are we will not have a productive shoot.

Just got off the phone with a fellow (newbie) mixer in Sweden. He had gotten a commercial offer ($250 for the day, all rented gear). The location: downtown Stockholm in snowy slush car hell. He asked "so my job is basically guide track then, considering the pay?" producer answers: "no, we want it to be good". My guy replies: "there's no way" and producer answers: "yes, I've seen it work in other movies". Holy crap