Things we must know...

studiomprd

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, there's not a successful way to boom and mix at the same time.

when doing both, booming take priority for me. you can at least pre set some levels and hope for the best. chances are you're not going to clip especially if you know what the dialog is going to be and if you have limiters set to "on". i usually worry more about low level signals than hot signals.

A known pet peeve...

Know how to prep for your 2nd/A2 units when it's your project on the line and you're several 100/1000 miles away.

Yeah. As I get more into doing 2nd Unit stuff, I feel like getting the necessary information is sometimes like pulling teeth.

When I host, I prepare an information sheet that includes tech specs, media delivery, the kind of mix and to what/how many tracks, APOC email (and how to get expendables), accounting email, kit rate, camera make/model, what needs audio/time code, and other stuff (like who always gets wired) I don't feel like listing right now.

Day of, I provide an envelope with the expendables I'm able to provide from our inventory, sound reports, and start work.

Sigh.

Here is a simple one but I would say that in addition to the soldering stuff mentioned above we all should have and know how to use a Multi Meter for electrical testing. I use mine to check connections, batteries and occasionally troubleshoot equipment. Last year I even used it to save a uplink shoot where they couldn't figure out why the hmi would not strike. Turns out the house power they were tied into at the stadium was a really weird voltage I mean not even close to the 115 that the ballast was set to.

Ooh yes and don't forget knowing when and how to over under the heavier cables give a slight turn to light xlr cables to keep them properly coiled. I can't count the number of times I have wanted to throttle some yokel who thinks it is appropriate to wind over his elbow.

• 5 months later...

Ooh yes and don't forget knowing when and how to over under the heavier cables give a slight turn to light xlr cables to keep them properly coiled. I can't count the number of times I have wanted to throttle some yokel who thinks it is appropriate to wind over his elbow.

You gotta "eight" them, man!