Cleaning My 01V96

I just finished the second film on which I used my new Yamaha 01v96.  Well, I really love using this board, but its not looking so new any more.  On this last gig we spent several days in a very windy, dusty, desert location.  The dust (more like really fine silt) got into everything, including the faders of my 01V.  The faders are really rough and gritty to move now and compressed air isn't doing enough to clean them out (I spent an hour using a compressor this morning).

Before I start taking this thing apart, I wanted to poll the collective wisdom of this group.  Should I just rip my board apart and go at it or should I take it to a professional?  What's the best way to get my faders moving like new again?  I will be buying Pelsue immediately.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the exact same experience; episodic TV in the New Mexican desert.  I called Yamaha USA and they told me that $300 wouldn't cover the cost of a "major" fader replacement.  The faders are something like $60 each and the labor to replace them is intensive.  They quoted me an estimate of around $1000! 

The good news?  I L&D'd the panel to production and they wrote me a check for $1000!  I called Sweetwater Music and ordered a new one.  Now, for $1200 or so, I have a spare panel, albeit a gritty one<g>.  BTW, even with the gritty faders, the really harsh environment didn't seem to otherwise bother the 01V96 in the least.

Also, Yamaha Japan sell the whole fader board, all 17 faders on a PC board.  I didn't price this but if you can do your own labor, it will be much less than $1000.  I am guessing $600 or so, and I have had the panel apart (to really blow the dust out of it) and it doesn't seem very daunting.  Call Yamaha USA service and talk to them about it.

D.

The good news?  I L&D'd the panel to production and they wrote me a check for $1000!  I called Sweetwater Music and ordered a new one.  Now, for $1200 or so, I have a spare panel, albeit a gritty one<g>.  BTW, even with the gritty faders, the really harsh environment didn't seem to otherwise bother the 01V96 in the least.

D.

This is good to hear, Doug. I always like to see production paying something for the really harsh environments we are required to work in. Also good to hear the 01V held up okay since it was never really intended to work in this manner.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 4 weeks later...

Care to share the name of the Shop? I might want to take mine there if they were good to you.

Thanks,

Tom

I took it to Audio Design and Service, Inc. in North Hollywood, CA, 818-754-0467.  They were good about calling with updates and stuck to their time estimates.  Mark, the tech, was nice to deal with.

• 10 years later...

After years of covering unused slots on my 01v with 2" tape motivated by a couple of expensive trips to Yamaha, an A-Ha! moment hit me.  For most of that time I'd been keeping my ballpoint pen handy by taping a little disk magnet to it and letting it stick to the mixer's side.  Why not find magnetic strips that sucked themselves down over the slots on top?

The essential features were 3/4" width, and non-adhesive on any side.  5 linear feet is more than enough.  An outfit named Magna Visual, Inc. (9400 Watson Road, St. Louis, MO 63126-1596 1-800-843-3399) produces it, and sells it locally here in SoCal through a handful of dealers.  I used Economy Office Supply Company (EOSC. eos@economyofficesupply.com). 

PLAIN MAGNETIC STRIPS -- Non-Adhesive

Item #                    Size                        Pack                      Roll                 List Price

P-0675-5              1/16" x 3/4"               5'                           No                  $5.55

And despite all the nostalgia about how good we had it during the Nagra days, I'm glad not to worry about magnets around my 1/4" tape reels any more.

(And yes, in the photo that's my new Venue 2 with three channels in A1 and three in B1.  It's proving to be the next best thing to solid copper...)

Cheers to all,

Fred

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

Great tip!

Most of my outdoor use is for rotating acts at music  festivals, so used channel faders are rarely static. I am going to put a few of these in the kit to place on channels when at rest and on unused channels during a show.

Luckily my mixer has never had a fader issue in the 8 years it has been in action. I hit it with Deoxit and Fader Lube every six months or so.

It's a great little board. Alan Parsons uses one in his studio.