Jack Norflus

Solderable BNC

Any other ideas? I'm curious where SD sources the BNC connectors in their cable, to wit:

post-5748-0-92445500-1343361477.jpeg

The fact that the barrels are shrink-tubed makes ID'ing it a bit more challenging.

... if the issue is you're using a non-standard coax so the crimp BNCs don't fit... how about soldering to a good quality RCA plug, and then soldering (or even shrink-tubing) that plug to a BNC adapter?

... if the issue is you're using a non-standard coax so the crimp BNCs don't fit... how about soldering to a good quality RCA plug, and then soldering (or even shrink-tubing) that plug to a BNC adapter?

The issue is primarily that BNC's are really a coax-only connector, despite the connector being used for timecode. And trying to solder a coax to a 5-pin LEMO sounds like a little slice of heaven.

The goal is to duplicate the ridiculous $90 cable with parts I already have, or can source pretty cheaply and easily. Already have the 5-pin LEMO's and cable, just need the BNC's.

So the "solder an RCA, then glue/shrinktube it to a BNC adapter" idea is worth trying. I'll post the result here.

Because I can't leave it alone, here's the Remote Audio version of the same cable, the BNC's are even longer....

rem_catciobnc.jpg

I don't suppose anyone from Remote Audio will chime in and say where these connectors are from.

All of the following offer BNC connectors of all types. Kings, Canare, Connectronics, Neutrik, Amphenol & Trompeter. Whitneys suggestion to contact Dean at Remote Audio seems like a great time saver.

Eric

The issue is primarily that BNC's are really a coax-only connector, despite the connector being used for timecode. And trying to solder a coax to a 5-pin LEMO sounds like a little slice of heaven.

The goal is to duplicate the ridiculous $90 cable with parts I already have, or can source pretty cheaply and easily. Already have the 5-pin LEMO's and cable, just need the BNC's.

So the "solder an RCA, then glue/shrinktube it to a BNC adapter" idea is worth trying. I'll post the result here.

I've been using the solderable bncs from Redco, and I've been very happy with them. Especially great for making timecode cables.

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=686&bc=no

K

I don't suppose anyone from Remote Audio will chime in and say where these connectors are from.

You can buy them from Trew Audio. $7.17

I also prefer the shorter BNC connector from Redco that Kelsey posted above. $2.50

Mark O.

I agree that the solder type BNC cable connectors used on the Remote Audio cables are often unnecessarily long. They were built to accommodate some of the larger audio cables and to accommodate circuitry for pads, etc, but most of the cables they are being used on could use a smaller connector. I'll see if I can help make that happen. Regarding the retail price, there does seem to be a discrepancy, so I'll look into that, too.

Glen Trew

I agree that the solder type BNC cable connectors used on the Remote Audio cables are often unnecessarily long. They were built to accommodate some of the larger audio cables and to accommodate circuitry for pads, etc, but most of the cables they are being used on could use a smaller connector. I'll see if I can help make that happen. Regarding the retail price, there does seem to be a discrepancy, so I'll look into that, too.

Glen, I didn't see the BNC connectors on Trew Audio's web store. Searched "BNC" but got adapters, and then cables and other bigger-ticket items.

This is the same connector Kelsey and I posted about above. It is very nice and the price is right.

Mark

+1 These are my favorite bncs i've found so far. I'm always looking though.

Wandering Ear

As for the BNC connectors you can simply select your blade of choice (hack saw/band saw) and reduce the shell (and ground leg) to whatever length you like. I've done this many times for custom cables. Then find the correct size grommett for your cable and a small plastic cap that you can find at any supply shop. Punch (drill) a hole into the cap for the cable, thru the grommett, place grommett inside of shell, secure cap over end of shell (I always used a little glue around the edge of the cap) and you have your very on custom cable.

Its actually a lot easier than it sounds, or just call Remote Audio and they can make one for you if you just want a shorter connector.

Also I'm no longer at Remote Audio and as far as supplying sources it would not be correct to do so, but as in above statements its not hard too find what you're looking for with your friend Google. With that being said I'm sure the guys at Remote will be more than glad to help out.