anyone know if phase inversion is possible on the sound devices recorders? i know you can do it on zaxcom's deva series but i was curious about how to do it on the 702t/744t recorders from sound devices.

i did a quick google search and found nothing.

just a curiousity more than anything...

thanks in advance.

C

• 5 months later...

I would like to know what are the situations that you need to change the phase of a mic,

mixing mics in a single recording track like raido + radio or radios +boom,...

what if you are recording each mic in it´s own track, in a multitrack recorder? do you correct the phase? or you just leave it to postproduction crew?

I would like to know what are the situations that you need to change the phase of a mic,

mixing mics in a single recording track like raido + radio or radios +boom,...

what if you are recording each mic in it´s own track, in a multitrack recorder? do you correct the phase? or you just leave it to postproduction crew?

You only correct phase BECAUSE you have multiple mics interacting with one another. There is no reason to correct phase for an iso track, but seeing as phase inversion USUALLY takes place pre-fader, the phase you decide on for the mix will be the phase that the iso gets as well. If you're not attempting a mix and are recording each mic individually to it's own track, then just leave the phase up to post.

Phase Inversion switches are usually on the INPUT setting and are used to correct for sources that are out of phase ELECTRICALLY (wiring) with each other. For example, two different microphones (internally wired differently for whatever reason) plugged into your mixing panel and combined (mixed) to one output bus, you will have phase cancellation (level will drop at the null point) and this cancellation is corrected by use of the Phase inversion switch. It is important to have everything in phase, electrically (not to be confused with acoustical phasing), even when recording to individual isolated tracks ("isos"). It is important as well that the MIX track in phase with the ISO tracks. I would not leave it up to post to sort this out. There is the possibility that when mixing the iso tracks that have signals out of phase with each other, the cancellation will not be noticed and it will be assumed that there were just level disparities.

You can be thankful that most professional gear, microphones, etc., will be wired in phase with all other industry standards, but there are times when electrical phase may be an issue. For example, I use Zaxcom wireless transmitters with DPA lavs almost exclusively, but I do have a few Sanken COS-11s which I use ocassionally. For reasons that I cannot explain, both microphones are wired properly to work properly with the transmitters, but they end up being out of phase. So, when I use DPA lavs and Sankens together, I have to flop (or invert) the phase on the output of the receiver that is using the Sanken. Flopping the phase gives me the ability to mix all the wireless (lav mic) sources and possibly the boom mic (hard wired but in phase with everything else) without any cancellation problems.

I always thought that if you theoretically had two signals that were exactly 180º out of phase acoustically, that this could be corrected by flipping the phase of one of the signals (electrically) in your mixer. Is this not the case? Is the phase switch then really only there to correct for incorrectly wired cables?