canon c300

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, do you recall if you were sending audio at line or mic level?

Line. I admit that I do not know if the "Line" input is the same circuit as the "mic" input just padded down. (Probably?)

I simply do not understand the ergonomics of this camera. The only way a solo shooter/filmmaker could use it to do sound even of the quality of most solo types I work with would require that goofy top piece/monitor thing with the cables, and you'd need to reach up and open the little clear plastic trap door to change the audio levels. And once you mount that thing, where does their shotgun and RX go? I guess they will widgetize like RED etc to do what they need to do.

phil p

For better or worse the camera is not really designed with ergonomics in mind. At least not where traditional shoulder mount operation is concerned. It seems like it is mainly designed to be compact. The C300 does allow for a massive amount of button re-configuration though.

I'm working on a verite type show now with 2 C300s and the operators have built shoulder rigs that are very modular and can accommodate just about any accessory you would want to put on it.

Just did a gig with 2 C300's... hard lined to both, also jammed TC @ 23.98 from SB-t... seemed to go well, but also noticed some "drift"... this might have been comparable to the drift experienced with Red Cams and/or Alexis though (it appears to be off, but it's just visual latency)... haven't heard from post yet...

I didn't experience any RF weirdness, was using 2 SMa's and an HM (for boom) all in BLK 26...

recorded to SD702T, so after setting

levels, didn't bother monitoring returns much, but yes the HP return is characteristically weak (already expected it to be, so no surprise there)

The camera seems... "tall"... compared to others, and I agree that it's not gonna win any ergonomics awards.

I have to admit I was pretty enthrawled with our interviewee, so once I set everything up and started monitoring my return from the 702T, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what was going on sound-wise at the cameras. We were interviewing Burt Rutan, and I was amazed at how quickly the time went by. What an incredible history that guy has! I guess my point is that whatever shortcomings the C300 had, they went pretty much unnoticed -- I will say it's a Godsend compared to the Red Scarlet and it's stupid cooling fan -- had we used the RedCam, I imagine Burt might have gone into flashbacks of being out on a tarmac somewhere.

All in all, things went well... I give the C300 a C+/B-

~tt

I also just found some support/contact numbers for Canon:

Canon Hollywood Professional Technology & Support Center

6060 Sunset Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90028

(855) CINE-EOS

(855) 246-3367

cinemaeos@cits.canon.com

http://www.cinemaeos...ice-support.php

I bet for sure they'd be able to advise about the timecode drift / line input questions. The camera is still pretty new, but in the past, I've found that Canon is actually pretty forthcoming about their limitations and issues.

BTW, there's about a half-dozen 4K cameras coming out next week. I have no doubt that Red will be concerned...

I also just found some support/contact numbers for Canon:

Canon Hollywood Professional Technology & Support Center

6060 Sunset Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90028

(855) CINE-EOS

(855) 246-3367

cinemaeos@cits.canon.com

http://www.cinemaeos...ice-support.php

I bet for sure they'd be able to advise about the timecode drift / line input questions. The camera is still pretty new, but in the past, I've found that Canon is actually pretty forthcoming about their limitations and issues.

BTW, there's about a half-dozen 4K cameras coming out next week. I have no doubt that Red will be concerned...

I called--they said that the line/mic switch bypasses the mic pre (good for them). They guy had no info on TC drift or if the camera had a TXCO clock, and suggested using external sync (as in Lockit) to be sure of accurate sync. Total time on hold, 3 min. Pretty good.

phil p

I emailed them and was told that that part of the c300 is proprietary info that he didn't have access to. He did say that it seemed unlikely that the line-in is just a pad switch but could not confirm.

He also said he would pass on my suggestion for AES inputs.

With 2 of them right now. No external power output on the camera, though the mount your camera ops provide may have a big battery option.

That's one of my biggest annoyances with giving the camera department a TC slave box and a wireless hop. They get a blank look when I start to ask about available DC power outputs from the camera battery. This forces us to use battery adapter boxes, which add yet another element of uncertainty to the shoot. (At least in the case of the SB-T, the batteries last for days, plus it's self-contained.)

I notice that the Alexa has an interesting 2-pin 12VDC "accessory" output normally used for an external viewfinder. I'm sorely tempted to make a Y-splitter and see if I could adapt it to a Lectro D4 or SR receiver.

Meanwhile: there's a lot of chatter about the Canon C500 (the "4K" big brother of the C300), but the size and shape of the camera looks goofy to me. For $30K, I'd expect something a little less "prosumerish." Much noise being made about this over on the Red discussion group. I kind of think that the old Red One might actually be a better buy at this point; many are now selling for about $10K (as people dump them in favor of the Red Epic), and the Red One still can make beautiful pictures. At least now, four years after its debut, crews know how to deal with them, and the software is now fairly stable and reliable.

• 1 month later...

For a camera that is thousands of dollars more than a 5D, it is a little dissapointing that there is no Hirose power tap, the headphone monitor amp is for crap, the controls are 'facing heavenward,' and the timecode is either in or out, but not both.

With no 5 pin audio, you are relegated to a hissy headphone amp, how can a fancy schmancy camera be sooooo short sighted?

Because it's made to please the DP not us.

Figure out a work around or convince production, and the DP, to shoot on something more "traditional".

Pick your battles, as mentioned above it's a good excuse to convince them to rent your multitrack rig.

I'm on a doc with a C300 now (as well s an Alexa and a 16mm camera). They had to mount a gold mount battery on back of the rails to power a monitor and wireless follow focus. We're not the only ones lamenting the lack of power output. Fortunately the workflow is letting me use a G2 instead of my Zaxcom hop, so that doesn't bother me on this one.

I wish I had taken a picture when I had my K-tek hot shoe plate with a RX900S, my external battery, sync box, Teradek, and some other camera stuff all stacked up on the top. It looked like a giant Scooby-Doo sandwich.

I wish I had taken a picture when I had my K-tek hot shoe plate with a RX900S, my external battery, sync box, Teradek, and some other camera stuff all stacked up on the top. It looked like a giant Scooby-Doo sandwich.

Yeah, same deal with the Red Epic. They make a big fuss about how cool and small the camera is, but by the time you bolt on a video assist transmitter, external battery, TC box, camera hop, and all the cables, it can be a pretty big mess. Always fun when it's on Steadicam and they have to flip it.

• 1 month later...