canon c300

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Raising this topic from the Dead...

About to start a new project shooting on 2 C300s. The original plan was to shoot double-system, with a stereo mix sent to the "A" camera for reference, and ISOs of Talent #1/#2 going directly to the "B" cam for backup.

Now I'm being told that the DP wants to lose the LCD attachment with the XLRs, and just use external viewfinders, as they found it to be annoying to operate with. But now i'm wondering how I get audio into these cams, even if its now just gonna be a scratch track. I see there's a mic input on the side, assuming on a 3.5mm connector? Does anyone know if its 2-channel or 1-channel? Has anyone used this input, and can you confirm if it is manually adjustable or not?

Thanks in advance,

e.

Raising this topic from the Dead...

About to start a new project shooting on 2 C300s. The original plan was to shoot double-system, with a stereo mix sent to the "A" camera for reference, and ISOs of Talent #1/#2 going directly to the "B" cam for backup.

Now I'm being told that the DP wants to lose the LCD attachment with the XLRs, and just use external viewfinders, as they found it to be annoying to operate with. But now i'm wondering how I get audio into these cams, even if its now just gonna be a scratch track. I see there's a mic input on the side, assuming on a 3.5mm connector? Does anyone know if its 2-channel or 1-channel? Has anyone used this input, and can you confirm if it is manually adjustable or not?

Thanks in advance,

e.

2 ch, adjustable gain

Did my first shoot with one of these today. Thanks to this thread, I avoided skid-marks when I requested a playback for assurance, and no audio played back.... put the camera in "media mode", and all was well.

Funny thing - the headphone level goes to 15. Also had to get into the menu to adjust hp level, since cam op had customized settings, so the +/- level buttons had some other function.

No issues. Sounded just fine for interviews. Headphone return is a bit hiss-y (no surprise).

• 2 weeks later...

Shot on one yesterday. Was easy to hookup. Timecode on BNC showed a lock as soon as the cable was plugged in. XLR guide track was easy to set up and adjust. Camera was quiet. Never did get headphone out to work on the body, just from the SDI monitor that was onboard.. Oh well... The camera guys seemed a little underimpressed, but the image I saw coming from it looked nice enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Having a lot of problems with the c300.

Edit told us we HAD to shoot 24.00 to match 5D and 7D.

That was wrong, and now we're paying for it. (see comments above re: 24 on 5D is 23.98, and be aware that 24.00 on c300 is true 24- not 23.98). I did read the manual and saw the warnings, but the warning read: "only use 24.00 if your editor is sure that's what they want. And they were. Until now.

Not my problem.

I do have another problem, though.

When playing back on camera, the two audio meters are separated - and listening, I get lav on Left and boom on Right.

When importing into final cut x, they are summed. Both meters match identically.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Audio menu on cam is: input - CH 1; output - Ch1/Ch2

Thank you!

John

When playing back on camera, the two audio meters are separated - and listening, I get lav on Left and boom on Right.

When importing into final cut x, they are summed. Both meters match identically.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Audio menu on cam is: input - CH 1; output - Ch1/Ch2

Thank you!

John

That's a FCsP problem...tracks open panned to center. Editor cannot handle?

Edit told us we HAD to shoot 24.00 to match 5D and 7D. That was wrong, and now we're paying for it. (see comments above re: 24 on 5D is 23.98, and be aware that 24.00 on c300 is true 24- not 23.98). I did read the manual and saw the warnings, but the warning read: "only use 24.00 if your editor is sure that's what they want. And they were. Until now.

banghead.gif

• 5 months later...

Working on a three-day shoot with a C300 and 5D. Camera Dept. literally took it out of the box and started using it so no time for a workflow test.  ::)  Jamming the C300 from Nomad at 23.98, cam has a Rode NTG-2 on it for scratch. C300 looks to have a slight drift ahead over time so I've just been jamming it each setup change. At least that is a painless procedure.

post-4514-0-01782800-1363178886_thumb.jp

post-4514-0-33816300-1363178888_thumb.jp

Working on a three-day shoot with a C300 and 5D. Camera Dept. literally took it out of the box and started using it so no time for a workflow test. ::) Jamming the C300 from Nomad at 23.98, cam has a Rode NTG-2 on it for scratch. C300 looks to have a slight drift ahead over time so I've just been jamming it each setup change. At least that is a painless procedure.

Shot with a c300 for 10 days a few months ago. Jammed the C300 with Nomad at 23.98 - I re-jammed at battery changes and lens changes and post reported no drift issues.