Congress passes bill opening up TV spectrum to next-gen WiFi networks

RadoStefanov

This is not really new.... this has been in the works for years. (I have been posting about it as it crawled along...)

and now, they have a must pass bill to "attach" it to. This part of the digital dividend has been spent several dozen times already, but the current move is just playing politics, and manuvering as usual.

nothing to see here...

move along...

While I don't know if you've been seeing them elsewhere, here in Washington CTIA has bombarded the airwaves with ads suggesting spectrum sales can fund the payroll tax rollback extension for months. Their lobbyists have appeared to get what CTIA wants again whether it's good for the rest of us or not.

Best regards,

Jim

Just did a coporate meeting for a wireless technology company. It was made up of company employees and very bright consultants from various institutions from all over the country, and a few international. I was requested to bring 7 hardwire lavs for the discussions they were having. When I was wiring them up they almost all joked and said where are the wireless mics, isnt this 2012, how come your using hardwired. I told them thats what the producer requested. At the end of the day when I took the mics off I said it was fascinating listening to the concepts they brought up... I then asked what do they see for the future of wireless mics and where should they live on the spectrum. They immediately went into attack mode and said the wireless mic users are just a bunch of squatters that dont belong where they are. There was alot of snickering and I suddenly I felt like the enemy, I said in a very humble and friendly tone"ok thats fine we dont want to be squatters, so where should we go?" No one had an answer and just shrugged it off. One guy siad to me I guess the wireless thing is important in live concerts and such, do you really need wireless for much else? From the looks that I got from them I really felt like wireless mics to them are just a gimmick, nothing really serious that society needs, should be thought of last when it comes to big business. I really thought they would have had some type fo inteligent theory for our future. MAybe they just wanted to get to dinner. Really seemed like they didnt care.

Loved that the first thing they asked was "where are the wireless mics"

Made me really leave with thinking that the wireless mic users live on a little island that most people dont realize how often they visit.

Let's see. According to the Center for Responsive Politics...

In 2011, CTIA, Qualcomm, and other telecom services & equipment companies disclosed $58.5 million in lobbying expenses. AT&T, Verizon, and other telephone utilities spent $49 million.

Shure spent $60,000. Lectrosonics gave $5,200 to a New Mexico candidate for Senate.

Nothing against Shure and Lectro; they're doing more than I am. But the disparity is disparate.

Numbers from:

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/indusclient.php?id=B09&year=a

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/indusclient.php?id=B08&year=a

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000056689&year=2011

http://www.opensecrets.org/races/contrib.php?cycle=2012&id=NMS1

They need to realize that nearly every TV show, every movie, every concert at a theater, arena, or stadium, every single major sports team, nearly every single news station, and a whole lot of town hall forums use wireless mics.

We aren't squatting, we are a major factor in how entertainment, politics, and news is conveyed to those beyond earshot of the sound source.

www.matthewfreed.com

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Films, and Commercials

Jim Wrote

"Let's see. According to the Center for Responsive Politics...

In 2011, CTIA, Qualcomm, and other telecom services & equipment companies disclosed $58.5 million in lobbying expenses. AT&T, Verizon, and other telephone utilities spent $49 million."

I wont be specific but the company I was working for is in the list Jim Just Mentioned......

Makes a Whole lotta sence now.....

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a clear-spoken description of what's coming up for broadcasters that will scare them to their core. I have a hard time imagining that we will get any consideration whatsoever.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2012/02/27/57705/heres-whats-next-for-the-spectrum-auction?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Here's+What's+Next+For+The+Spectrum+Auction&utm_campaign=Here's+What's+Next+For+The+Spectrum+Auction

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

One approach I've been using that seems to resonate is to frame it as "content creation vs. content distribution". Content creation is what we do, and includes sports, news, touring, theater, TV, movies, theme parks, AV and the like (all of which involve heavy use of wireless microphones). Content distribution includes tradition means (broadcast, movie theaters, radio, DVD rentals) and the newer Internet and mobile wireless data devices. Perhaps if "they" understand that without content to distribute, the revenues for said distribution will be hampered. Look what is happening with Netflix now that Starz has pulled their catalog.

Just did a coporate meeting for a wireless technology company. It was made up of company employees and very bright consultants from various institutions from all over the country, and a few international. I was requested to bring 7 hardwire lavs for the discussions they were having. When I was wiring them up they almost all joked and said where are the wireless mics, isnt this 2012, how come your using hardwired. I told them thats what the producer requested. At the end of the day when I took the mics off I said it was fascinating listening to the concepts they brought up... I then asked what do they see for the future of wireless mics and where should they live on the spectrum. They immediately went into attack mode and said the wireless mic users are just a bunch of squatters that dont belong where they are. There was alot of snickering and I suddenly I felt like the enemy, I said in a very humble and friendly tone"ok thats fine we dont want to be squatters, so where should we go?" No one had an answer and just shrugged it off. One guy siad to me I guess the wireless thing is important in live concerts and such, do you really need wireless for much else? From the looks that I got from them I really felt like wireless mics to them are just a gimmick, nothing really serious that society needs, should be thought of last when it comes to big business. I really thought they would have had some type fo inteligent theory for our future. MAybe they just wanted to get to dinner. Really seemed like they didnt care.

Loved that the first thing they asked was "where are the wireless mics"

Made me really leave with thinking that the wireless mic users live on a little island that most people dont realize how often they visit.

I just read this again. A response might be: "Since the current crop of TVBDs are unlicensed, and I have an LPAB license for my wireless, by the current rules I am a "protected entity" in those bands and YOU are squatters. I registered my usage of my wireless freqs with the Spectrum Bridge site for this location on this date at these hours, and here is the print out of the email the website registry sent me to prove it. Please get your TVBDs off my freqs now, or I will report you to the FCC."

phil p

I'm guessing the FCC Enforcement Bureau would be in charge of dealing with TVBD interference. But they're a small group (about to reach 300 people) and haven't had to deal with TVBD stuff yet.

I've dealt with the Enforcement folks while covering FCC policy stuff (LPFM, pirate radio, etc). But pirate radio doesn't take up much of their time these days. My friend John Anderson writes:

"Over the last few years, field enforcement activity has increasingly focused on finding and shutting down cell phone jammers and bi-directional amplifiers, cutting into the already busy schedule kept by field agents dealing with ersatz two-way radio systems run by the private sector, leaky cable TV networks, and the inspection of licensed broadcasters."

Rest of his brief article, "FCC Budget: Enforcement Bureau to Get Some New Gear" here:

http://diymedia.net/archive/0212.htm#022312

So looking at the speed with which the FCC responds to existing issues, and the size of the enforcement staff, we should report problems...But I wonder how long it'll take to get a response if the TVBDer says "go ahead."

I have no idea...and my first guess about how these issues will be handled could be wrong. Anyone know how interference conflicts will be handled and resolved?

It seems that just like everyone else who isn't into doing production sound, they figure it's magic pixie dust that makes the wireless mics work. Or that the wireless mics actually use WiFi, Bluetooth, or CB frequencies, for all that it matters. Perhaps getting a WiFi-capable, 802.11e QoS-enabled wireless mic might be worth someone's time to create. Of course then you stride into the 2.4GHz jungle along with the unwashed masses...