Boom Danny

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i boom, i bring:

-My personal Sony headphones

-Metal Clipboard with paperwork, documents, ect

-Tool belt thing. (Flashlight, medical tape, pen, topstick, rycote stickes/under/overcoast) Got this at Lowes, fits in and hangs over the back pocket, then clips onto your belt. Its low weight compared to the Set bag stuff.

-Lectro remote phone app

-Personal loon boom pole (i sometimes bring it depends on the mixer, and his gear)

-Utility Knife

-Lectro screwdriver

-Breathmints

- Soldering iron (Keep in car if needed)

Location work,

-Low Cut mud boots. (Keep in car)

-Rain Gear

-Extra shirt and socks

-Work Gloves

-Hat

-Sunglasses

-(other weather stuff if needed )

I dont bring any of my Mics or wireless stuff because normally that is in the Mixers kit, found on the follow cart.

A lot of boom opt use a boom caddy, or some sort of boom holder on set. Talk Back boxes are great help, that give you a private line back to the mixer. Ifb to listen to the mixer.

Attached is the image of the tool belt.

post-2620-0-98483200-1329601608.jpg

I don't boom as a rule (unless I'm forced to), but I concur with a lot of Colin's suggestions. I would add: 5-hour Energy Drinks, Aspirin, breath gum, and Tums. (Plus bandaids and a First-aid kit in the truck.) Couldn't survive 14 hours on a set without them.

Danny's lav mount case looks about 75% like mine! Lots of different kinds of tape, pads, elastic wraps, safety pins, small windshields, topstick, you name it.

In my case is:

Rycode windcovers softis

Undercovers

diferent tapes medical,gaffatape,topstick,stickystuff

Mostly from the german pharmacie my wife is a nurs and she brings me difetent test pices from work and i can test wire she :-)

I used hushheels (self made with molton and dubbletape)

And gliders in diferent size for chairs

Hd 25 headphones

My one sennheiser intercom mostly the mixers have only one stystem running not for privat line ..

Gill gloves for booming outside with open fingers

Siccors

Bostik

Showerhats for make wirelessboom waterprof

Maglight lamp

Diferent srewdriwers

On my iphone (lecromote,tonegenerator,PDF reader for the skript

In my toolbox i have all to repair cables and boompole and micspiders and clean the cart and my pole with desinfection and wd40 ... I hate stinky boompoles

I have monting clamps and adapters to rig a boom

Clothing is mostly black to hide reflections and

I wear military funktion pants

Sunglasses when i stand direkt to lamps .. And i see nothing but light :-)

Multitool

Maybee i bring a chair to relex with my mixer

Deo :-)

When booming I bring my boom, headphones, LectroRM, tape roll, lav bullet, coffey mug, water bottle, and a smile. Anything else I provide at mixers request.

Oh, yeah, the Lav Bullet is a killer product. I once used it 20 times in one day on 20 different women for an infomercial project. (I found out it's nice to warm it up before, uh, dropping it in place.)

The LectroRM is great, but I always, always back it up with the iPhone app version. It seems like half the time I need to sleep the Xmitr, the damn RM is back at my bag -- but the phone is always with me (in airplane mode).

No one is bringing their own monitoring? Interesting. Are your mixers always providing? I use an MM-1 and always bring it with me. Or is everyone just listening off a comtek or other wireless receiver? Just curious.

As a mixer, I provide monitoring -- either a duplex cable when possible or a Comtek when we need to go wireless.

I may try wireless monitoring through a Zaxcom transmitter but I'm afraid it's likely to deplete the battery pretty quickly.

• 1 month later...

Regarding sunglasses: I've found the best option for use with headphones are official American Optics pilot's sunglasses. Government issue for over 50 years, fantastic optics, and straight temples allow you to take them off and put them on without taking off or putting on headphones since they are designed for pilots to take off and put on without removing helmets and headsets. It's a really nice feature when you're sweating your ass off in the 105 degree sun. Plus, the lenses are real glass, and the optics are pristine. No distortion any way you look out the glasses and they are sturdy. Just don't drop them on concrete. The weight of them will surely not be good for the fall since the lenses are real glass.

Did I mention they look amazing and girls will love them on you?

8)

Regarding sunglasses: I've found the best option for use with headphones are official American Optics pilot's sunglasses. Government issue for over 50 years, fantastic optics...

This is the sort of weird, yet amazingly useful, information that makes this board so damn amazing. Google does not have the answer if you don't know the question that you should really be asking.

You guys are great to bring all those expensive expendables with you when working as a boomista. As a mixer, I really only expect boomists to bring their own cans, maybe a little tape, some tools, their personal weather gear etc and a great attitude. If I need some of their gear (boom, mic, monibox etc) I rent it from them. I figure all that pricey sticky stuff comes out of my rate, really.

phil p

You guys are great to bring all those expensive expendables with you when working as a boomista. As a mixer, I really only expect boomists to bring their own cans, maybe a little tape, some tools, their personal weather gear etc and a great attitude. If I need some of their gear (boom, mic, monibox etc) I rent it from them. I figure all that pricey sticky stuff comes out of my rate, really.

phil p

This is my way of working as well. I'm getting the rental, I should bring the gear. A lot of Ops have their own pole and stands etc, but I feel I should have all that and more myself. I want my team mate to give their all to running the set and being my point guard.

I have said this before and I will again, I wish we had more boom Ops posting here and bringing their POV to the craft of sound recording for picture. That is the art of the craft IMO.

CrewC

When I boom, I bring tape, a smile, cans, hat, Oakley shades, water-bottle, and a sixth sense of how to help my mixer during hard times on set (good sleep the night before). I do usually bring my booms poles and boom mics, but they sit in the car as backup. Monitoring, Phil brings his wireless MM-1 kit so I get a direct feed of what I'm doing and he can still talk me in to position if needed. Its such a great rig I own one as well.

I bring

2 or 3 poles (Panamic Mini, Midi and Maxi)

Enough Panamic detachable tips to cover the number of mics my Mixer will have on set

My cans

Sennheiser G3/G2/ other wireless receiver if mixer hasn't enough to give me a feed.

Transmitter for boom pole + receiver (it's to my convenience to have one if the Mixer doesn't - I'm not a fan of unnecessary cables)

Chewing gum

Leatherman (now being gradually superseded by a D-Ring-handled utility knife incl flash light)

Re-useable cable ties

Velcro ties

Carabiners

Bongo Ties

Clothes with enough pockets / loops to hold everything I need (haven't rigged up a belt yet)

Sunglasses

Peaked cap

Buff

Gill fingerless gloves

iPhone with script saved to iBooks

Waterproof trousers and jacket

Shorts

Waterproof hiking shoes

Spare socks

Spare t-shirt

2 x DPA boxes for holding stickies, under/over-covers etc

Frisbee

Regarding sunglasses: I've found the best option for use with headphones are official American Optics pilot's sunglasses. Government issue for over 50 years, fantastic optics...

Personally, I wouldn't consider plastic lenses "fantastic optics," and most of their stuff is polycarbonate.

Randolph Engineering has also long manufactured the same type of sunglasses for US government and military pilots, and they're still made in the USA, with glass lenses for relatively low prices. Ray-Ban was a supplier, as well, when they were made in USA.

A lot of that is marketing babble. Imported polycarbonate lens Oakley's are doled out to troops in Afghanistan. But they, and pilots, can usually wear the glasses they prefer or carry the light they prefer or the knife they prefer or the watch they prefer - though often with restrictions.

Regarding sunglasses: I've found the best option for use with headphones are official American Optics pilot's sunglasses. Government issue for over 50 years, fantastic optics, and straight temples allow you to take them off and put them on without taking off or putting on headphones since they are designed for pilots to take off and put on without removing helmets and headsets. It's a really nice feature when you're sweating your ass off in the 105 degree sun. Plus, the lenses are real glass, and the optics are pristine. No distortion any way you look out the glasses and they are sturdy. Just don't drop them on concrete. The weight of them will surely not be good for the fall since the lenses are real glass.

Did I mention they look amazing and girls will love them on you?

8)

They are awesome. the Matte color works for me.