Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

I'm very surprised it's that heavy. These bags need to get lighter!

It's all very relative. I find anything under 10lbs to be light, but that's just me. The bag does add to the weight, but it's a compromise I'm willing to take for the rigid frame and protection it gives my gear in the bag. The battery I'm using is also about 1lb, but it's another compromise I am willing to take because it lasts me the whole day.

How come I see many people that have Zaxcom wireless with the QIFB installed and/or nomads, but still using a comtek transmitter? 

I think the reason probably is to be able to give a low cost (and relatively lo-fi) monitor to others who need to listen and have greater range than one would have with 2.4ghz transmission. The IFB option is used for high quality monitoring with ERXs and for Zaxnet control.

Maybe they already had the Comteks when they got into the zax system ? Or price: Comteks are cheaper. Or the range.

-...now... Jeff just beat me  with that answer.-

Also, when you hand an ifb pack to 10 people and know 3 of them are probably gonna drop it on the floor, comteks are the way; built tougher and cheaper, like said. But you can buy phone cases to protect your ERXs to some extent if you wish... And even when I hand out a Comtek, I know there's a potential for it to be destroyed...

The ERX sound way lot better, flat out ; I use one to monitor my camera link with a QRX100 (in fact, to be sure my QRX is still on if I can't see the lights on the side; it doesn't give me the camera out, just the signal received at the QRX stage). Some muffed ''plunk...plunk'' in the sound here and there but a good way to monitor nonetheless. And I'd rather have it protected, tucked into my bag than in someone's hands.

As for the bags we see here: so much nice rigs !

I'm waiting for my Stingray now. Since using a 633, the access to the memory card door, these side pockets and the fact the bag is designed to put weight closer to my body made my decision to give it a try. I think Dave and the team did great work.

The frame on my K-Tek Stingray just broke. Its a snap on the right hand bend on top front.

Has anyone else had this problem. Not even a year old.

Contact K-Tek directly. Their customer service is one of the best in the industry, and they will definitely get you sorted out.

How come I see many people that have Zaxcom wireless with the QIFB installed and/or nomads, but still using a comtek transmitter?

Like everyone else, I already had the Comteks. I was using a Fusion, and didn't take the ERX plunge till I got a Nomad. The Comteks don't sound nearly as good, but they get good range (bag situations). I also spent a lot of the last couple years working in wide-open outdoor spaces. I think the physics of the Comtek frequency gets better range than 2.4 GHz in those situations. At least that's what I understand. I need to test that more. I have 4 ERXs (2 modded) that are first for cameras, then go to somebody that needs critical listening like a director, if requested, or somebody wanting to see timecode.

I don't find Comteks to be all that durable. All of mine have hairline cracks from being dropped (in Winter?) I don't hand out ERXs the same way. When they're for a person, I use a case, but it's possible they would hold up better anyway. It's a better grade of plastic.

Range.

I would not use ERX if I am not sending from my cart 2.4 amp. 

In the bag I only use them to camera. Producers and directors always get a comtek.

Maxx with QRX200 and IFB200 and LMa for IFB. ERX feeding Amira guide track and TC. No more than two cast this day. The bag configuration changes a little depending on needs. 

Two TRXla2 in the small pocket. There is a bunch of stuff in the larger front pocket. Double pencil case (contains 11 lavs in one side and all other accessories in the other), double sided tape, snot tap, over covers, spare batts, tweakier and a small pair scissors.

post-2000-0-56864500-1425861440_thumb.jp

post-2000-0-48746400-1425861722_thumb.jp

The ERX range outside is not good, so I can understand people using the Comtek. The case material on the ERX is surprisingly tough though - I've had producers drop them from a height onto a concrete floor with no ill effect. What isn't so durable is the screen - all of mine have failed within a year and were mostly very carefully handled. Zaxcom need to rethink their use on any future 'ERX 3'. I rather suspect that the headphone knob is also prone to damage.

The ERX range outside is not good, so I can understand people using the Comtek. The case material on the ERX is surprisingly tough though - I've had producers drop them from a height onto a concrete floor with no ill effect. What isn't so durable is the screen - all of mine have failed within a year and were mostly very carefully handled. Zaxcom need to rethink their use on any future 'ERX 3'. I rather suspect that the headphone knob is also prone to damage.

And further to that I would like to add that the 1/8" socket on the ERX's is appalling and has failed on all three of mine. The exposed delicate power switch should be rethought too! Vent over!

And further to that I would like to add that the 1/8" socket on the ERX's is appalling and has failed on all three of mine. The exposed delicate power switch should be rethought too! Vent over!

My sockets have been fine (good luck I guess) though it really should be a locking connector. I concur on the switches. Get's knocked into the 'off' position too easily by camera ops.