Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

• 3 weeks later...

Recent bag for a doc I'm working on using the unsung hero of sound bags- the Kevlar soft Portabrace. Needed something really light since I was on the run all day. Trimmed the fat from everything I could on my regular bag. Left my Petrol 617 behind, my 633 (gulp), no BDS, and definitely no NP-1. I had this bag (Portabrace 'RM- Multi' which should be the same as the current SD 7-series bags) since my 744 days almost 8 years ago and have used it on other jobs with my 633 (which fits nicely with NP-F750s on the bottom, albeit a tad bit too snug). I blew the dust off of it and to my surprise it fit everything I needed and its frameless shape let me squeeze things in a bit. At around 4 kg with batteries its much, much lighter than what I had before. I was wary of using the Tascam on jobs, just.....because...., and recently began very slowly easing it in developing a workflow and getting a feel for the quirks and sound of it, but it has turned out to be great. The new mixpres would definitely fit right in here. I am powering the Tascam through the usb port with a 10,000mah phone battery pack which lasts longer than I do on a shoot day. Of course I use 4 AA in the unit just in case it gets unplugged which, as I tested, does not interrupt the recording in anyway while switching power sources. A right angle mini-USB to right angle USB cable really helps keep the profile down and has a very tight connection. There is enough room under the Tascam to fit the battery which supports it from the bottom of the bag. On the other side of the battery is a ACL204 which fortunately enough is the same height of the battery (Xiaomi) and together are the same length as the Tascam. The rest of the bag is run on rechargeable NiMH AA batts which I swear by (because I never run out of batteries). The 401s are amazing and last at least 6-7 HOURS on a single set! Great job Lectro! Also using a Sony for camera send which is in the middle flanked by two SMQV. I was so amazed that everything fit as perfectly as it did. My back is very happy with me. I definitely have a new respect for these smaller recorder units coming out these days and will definitely look at them for future purchases. P.S. I am currently working on an even lighter 2.5-3KG audio bag (hopefully less!) and am looking to complete it by the end of the year. Stay tuned!

Bag 01.jpg

bag_2.jpg

bag_3.jpg

On 11/6/2017 at 9:14 PM, Bivouac said:

I was wary of using the Tascam on jobs, just.....because...., and recently began very slowly easing it in developing a workflow and getting a feel for the quirks and sound of it, but it has turned out to be great.

As someone starting out whose primary is a Tascam, I’m surprised to hear of a 633 owner being happy with a 701D. How’s the timecode on that thing treating you?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:31 PM, Daniel Ignacio said:

As someone starting out whose primary is a Tascam, I’m surprised to hear of a 633 owner being happy with a 701D. How’s the timecode on that thing treating you?

No problems since I have the ACL204. I did test the internal clock against the ACL one time and it was around 5 seconds off after 1 hour. Its mostly my back that is happier and its sounds fine for the jobs I use it for. Upgrading soon though!

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2012 at 2:38 PM, Jack Norflus said:

Zaxcom Nomad, 4 Lectrosonics 411 receivers, Zaxcom TRX900AA with STA adapter for camera hop, all powered off of a Peter Engh power distribution system running on a IDX Lithium NP - L7S. Bag is a Petrol PEGZ-2.

post-1067-0-32163800-1329683858.jpg

She's a beauty!

On 2/19/2012 at 2:38 PM, Jack Norflus said:

post-1067-0-06571300-1329683871.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

15 hours ago, VAS said:

So, you have that bread, actually, David. Hehe

Haha! Yeah the profile pic I have on this forum is about a year out of date. So the beard (assuming you don't mean bread. Haven't touched that stuff since 2011) has grown longer since then. But not by much! Seems my beard grows quite quickly for the first couple of years, but then the next years or so it just slows down a lot. I've reached my "natural length". 

(my GF *hates* my beard, but whatever... my body, my choice!)

On 11/7/2017 at 3:14 PM, Bivouac said:

I am powering the Tascam through the usb port with a 10,000mah phone battery pack which lasts longer than I do on a shoot day. Of course I use 4 AA in the unit just in case it gets unplugged which, as I tested, does not interrupt the recording in anyway while switching power sources.

From memory this wasn't always the case? As I did a feature with a Tascam DR70D just after it came out, and I think it needed a firmware update to fix the USB powering as it wasn't shipping with the latest firmware yet? Or at least the Tascam DR60Dmk1 I started out with had that issue which needed a firmware update (the newer DR60Dmk2 had this fixed from the start):
http://ironfilm.co.nz/firmware-update-for-tascam-dr-60d-mk1-fixes-recording-interruptions-when-running-on-external-usb-power-packs/

Anyway, the DR70D had other oddities with USB power, such as showing battery levels at full even after unplugged, that it is worthwhile updating to the latest firmware to be safe if you're using USB power (which I reckon is kinda essential, as the Tascams have a fairly short life if only on AA batteries). 

On February 16, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Jim Rillie said:

Hi Bernie, 

What do you use for RF distro?  I have been happy with Stridsberg. Very neat looking, organized bag.

Thanks Jim!  I'm using the PSC RF Mulit SMA.  It lives in the bottom of the bag to the right side as you're wearing it in the same cavity as the receivers.  There's a lot of room in there with the receivers being so small.  I'm not familiar with Stridsberg. I'll have to look it up.

I looked up Stridsberg.  Which model do you use with what wireless?

On my cart I use MCA 208Ms, Bag not set up with multi couplers yet, but earlier config, I used MC 204s. Very robust, but i noticed filtering is only below 25 MHz - should be higher for our purposes, although interference has been minimal in my experience here in Nova Scotia, mileage may vary elsewhere. They were out long before small distros like the PSC Multi, when I was first setting up UHF distro and didn't want to bring the Lectrosonics big six pack around on portable setups.

Separate units for each antenna. 

• 3 weeks later...