SMPTE (LTC) To MTC converter?

slemaker

Hi All,

I'm running a Pro-Tools 9 system for a shoot in addition to my normal 788 recording system to satisfy a request from post... I'm receiving smpte LTC from an external source into my 788. Going from there into the LTC input on a MOTU 828 mk3 interface and then firewire into PT9. My problem is that PT9 can not use smpte LTC (although the program clearly can see the timecode - one of those ways Pro Tools tells you you should have bought Pro Tools HD). The post people are content with me recording the smpte onto an additional audio track, but I would like to be able to convert it to MTC anyway. Anyone know of any inexpensive hardware that can do this? I've been searching without much luck thus far.

Thanks for your input,

Charlie

My problem is that PT9 can not use smpte LTC (although the program clearly can see the timecode - one of those ways Pro Tools tells you you should have bought Pro Tools HD).

Actually, you can feed timecode into Pro Tools with a Sync I/O HD box. I've seen older PTHD systems go on eBay for well under $1500, just because a lot of people are dumping them in favor of the newer HDX systems. And the Digidesign Sync I/O boxes are going for $300-$400 on eBay. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had to do something on a budget -- I think you could still get several more years of use out of them, and there's still many thousands of HD systems all over the world.

Bear in mind that Pro Tools 9 still has a problem with timecode going over hour 12, which is an inherent limitation in the program. This could be a killer problem on location, especially if you try to use time-of-day code.