Auto Mixer Suggestions

Whit Norris

Thanks everyone,

I am try to help our Local in Atlanta purchase some equipment for recording our membership meetings. They are interested in purchasing the equipment there is no rush and there would only be six mics. I have not used a auto mixer in many years and wanted to ask for some input from this group in addition to my research. Again thank for the input and the continued input.

Whit

Does anyone have any experience with any auto mixers or any suggestions? Just needed to be able to record a round table type meeting for transcription no picture involved.

Thanks,

Whit

Whit,

From what you describe, I would think the SCM810 would be quite adaquate. It's true the Dugan is probably a better unit (and MUCH more costly!), but the SCM810, once set up, is simple and nearly "idiot" proof.

I regularly use the SCM810's FP410's and the Dugan card in my 01V96i and LS9. If this was a situation where the recorded ambience needed to match as it switched from one talker to another, I would probably push you toward the Dugan. In your application however, I think the 810 is the way to go.

Tom

Hey Whit, it was great to see you last weekend.

I like the Dugan E1 as well. If you have access to the Yamaha mixers such as the 01V/96 or the LS9-16 there is a Dan Dugan YGDAI card available. It is called the Dugan MY-16. This is essentially the Model E1 in a Yamaha card. You can easily route your board DSP insert points to the card. The card also has an Ethernet port which allows access to the PC or MAC Dugan software. The rack version of the E1 also has TOS-LINK connectors built in. So you can also connect direct to the built in TOS-LINK ports on the 01V/96.

Gary Vahling

Rental Manager

Coffey Sound

From what you describe, I would think the SCM810 would be quite adaquate. It's true the Dugan is probably a better unit (and MUCH more costly!), but the SCM810, once set up, is simple and nearly "idiot" proof.

That's what I've used, and if it can survive an idiot like myself, the 810 can survive anything. I was able to pick up a lightly-used unit on eBay for $100 (!!!), but then had to spend another $250 on the XLR add-on option. Works fine, though configuring the dip switches takes time and testing.