Sound Shoes

Edmond Smith

Yesterday a friend and I went to the Sports Chalet to just browse around until we wondered into the shoe section. Now, a few months ago I was looking at all kinds of different shoes, Vimbram Five Fingers for example, but that would have looked odd on set ALTHOUGH FUNCTIONAL.

SO! My question is what best shoes should an aspiring Boom Operator like myself and others wear?

Thank you for the suggestions!

There's JUST been a thread about this:

If you're doing a lot of outdoor stuff, a good pair of hiking shoes (I find boots too heavy) can save your feet and legs by the end of the day.

I wear Merrell Chameleon Axioms. They're a bit creaky when you first get them, but once they soften up they're great.

http://www.merrell.com/AU/en-AU/Product.mvc.aspx/19245M/40478/Mens/Chameleon-III-Axiom

Rockport is an excellent brand - great inner sole support - strong built, comfortable and sturdy. I have many pairs of different styles from gortex lined boots, dress shoes to sneaker types-. A little pricier than most but you get what you pay for and they always last the distance. Great for all day on concrete studio floors and tarmac with no foot fatigue, jungles, mountains, swamps.

Cheers, Malcolm

New Balance 993 or whatever the latest model is. You can sometimes find 992 model on line for less.

They are made in USA.

They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, by far. The support is great. I used to hurt as a boom/utility standing all day until I bought these. As a mixer, I still wear them if I am going to need to bag it.

A good hiking boot for poorer conditions is smart, or you can get waterproof over shoes for the 993, unless it's too hot.

Essential piece of gear, like any other. Don't cheap out on your comfort and health.

Robert

I love Merrells with great inserts...biggest thing is they never end up smelling as bad like New Balance did at least with me. It is most likely because of the gortex, but god they feel amazing. I even work out in a pair now. I get back and knee problems the minute I have to go back down to a dress shoe of some sort.

skate shoes provide good grip, but can be squeaky. That's hard to sort out in the store. running shoes are good for keeping your feet happy, but some are not great for side by side support. In general it depends on the job environment. When I am running and gunning through alleyways with broken glass and garbage, i wear boots.

I *usually* wear Vans with a thin running insole for a bit more support and comfort, or boots (a vegetarian, non-sweatshop, version of Doc Martins that I just like). I do have a pair of summer lightweight hiking boots (mesh in places) that I can wear all summer, grippy off road traction and comfortable. I forget who makes them, but I found them on Zappos. I wear a 15 or 16, so shopping in a store is not usually an option. I also have what I can describe as Merrell canvas running shoes (low tops). Running shoe-like comfort with, traction soles and grey. So many running shoes look goofy with anything but running clothes. :)

+1 I have a few pairs of New Balance running shows I rotate and 2 pairs of timberland boots

Haven't had to get a pair of outdoor hiking boots (yet), but I do like New Balance running shoes, and wear them everywhere. I found it helps to get the Dr. Scholl's air cushion -- especially for long hours working on concrete studio floors.

I did literally buy a pair of hip boots for a project, but the ground turned out to be dry and we didn't have to wade through mud after all. But I'm ready if it happens! (I have been inclined to wear the hip boots when negotiating for a rate, especially with the bullsh!t spewed by certain producers I've met.)

Yesterday a friend and I went to the Sports Chalet to just browse around until we wondered into the shoe section. Now, a few months ago I was looking at all kinds of different shoes, Vimbram Five Fingers for example, but that would have looked odd on set ALTHOUGH FUNCTIONAL.

SO! My question is what best shoes should an aspiring Boom Operator like myself and others wear?

Thank you for the suggestions!

So Ed what did you end up getting?

On set I usually rotate through two different pairs of Merrells, one with more firm, aftermarket insoles and often skate shoes. I try to swap shoes at lunch, socks too sometimes just to be comfy when it's warmer. Neos for rain but weary of them since a friend slipped on the gate of a truck wearing them in wet weather.

Winter shoots, electric socks and foot warmers!