Sign in to follow this  
fieldmixer

Gps tracker

Any attempts or experiments made by members of this group with placing a gps locator inside their checked gear bags/luggage. Personally, i am growing tired of carrying on most all my gear but am way too weary of checking any of it for fear of it being lost/stolen.

but am way too weary of checking any of it for fear of it being lost/stolen.

That's what the insurance is for?

I'm currently working in a travel show and fly many times per week with 12 pieces of luggage. I check everything except cameras, wireless mics + receivers, batteries + chargers and a couple of discs. Airlines hate hand luggage and we often have to fight to get even our cameras onboard.

I do like the idea of a GPS tracker however.

Anvil makes a GPS tracking device for their cases. According to their press release information, it's a cooperative venture with LoJack. I don't know anything about costs; I expect there is probably an ongoing charge for monitoring over and above the cost of purchasing the GPS module.

Here's a link to their webpage explaining the system:

http://www.anvilcase.com/applications/anvil-case-tracker/

David

I just bought this a few weeks ago for that exact purpose. I will be placing it in my checked baggage this weekend for the first time. So far it's been remarkably accurate around the city.

http://www.pocketfinder.com/

Years ago, I decided against insuring my Kit. Iknow, risky perhaps, but ten years later, that's 15g saved. I insist my clients cover my gear under their production Ryder. It is awkward sometimes, I need cross out a couple lines in my contract and add a line stating: production agrees to insure kit against lost damage or theft. Ends up, 90% of the time I'm covered. Production needs their own insurance when renting camera kit, I feel, situation is no different when renting audio kit. Even if I am the operator. Note: I am

Not incorporated. Sole proprietor.

I'm not a big believer in double and triple insuring things... Seems like a scam.

I'm a firm believer in carrying gear on board the plane. They swipe it, look at it twice and let you go on with it.

Would you let a PA load your truck? Probably not...

Why would you let a baggage handler drop your pelican case with $30,000 worth of fragile gear 12 feet to the tarmac?

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Just reviving this topic but does anyone have experience with the latest GPS trackers? This would be mainly to place on bags in case something was stolen. 

Looks like it is $100 for the tracker and then another $100 for the annual service subscription? Has it been pretty accurate for you as far as location and does it have good battery life?

I've used one of their devices when outback travelling. It's pretty good.

But for the Spot trackers size, you may as well repurpose an old iPhone. Track it with 'Find my phone'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk