FYI Ed Burns and $9,000 budgets. Movie Maker article.

Ray Collins

So if you can offer an actor or a crew member a project that they care about, that’s how you get talent to show up and work for peanuts. More and more people are going to see this as a viable alternative to how we’ve been told we’re supposed to make movies.

There is so much wrong with this viewpoint I am speechless.

I don't see this as a problem if nobody is making money up front and everyone involved gets a decent cut if any profit is made. It's nothing more than people making an investment (time, equipment, skills, talent) and getting a return. The height of Capitalism actually.

If the returns aren't distributed fairly then it sucks.

There used to be a thing called Junior Achivement (it's probably still around) and we'd form a "company", sell shares, make and distribute a product and then make a profit (or a loss) and we did this when I was in 8th grade...

I don't see this as a problem if nobody is making money up front and everyone involved gets a decent cut if any profit is made. It's nothing more than people making an investment (time, equipment, skills, talent) and getting a return. The height of Capitalism actually.

If the returns aren't distributed fairly then it sucks.

There used to be a thing called Junior Achivement (it's probably still around) and we'd form a "company", sell shares, make and distribute a product and then make a profit (or a loss) and we did this when I was in 8th grade...

That concept works fine if you can commit to X number of days with out an income. Personally I don't want to invest in "your" project nor do I want to be your business partner. I don't do what I do for "The Love of The Game" it's not personal, it's business.

Eric

Although I believe in getting a fair wage, if I am presented with a great script and I have confidence that the people involved will not screw it up, and I believe there is a realistic possibility the movie can become successful, I would be willing to "invest" in the project. (None of the above has ever happened). What would I expect in return for my share? Retroactive payment of the Basic Agreement IATSE 695 daily scale and a fair equipment rental.

This is how the Low Budget Theatrical Agreement should be set up. The crew should be investors and should be paid first dollar up to full union scale if or when the movie is successful. It's simple enough. A keystroke at the payroll company. It gets done when shows go over budget. Actors are given "producer" credit and are paid after the fact, therefore keeping the budget under the threshold. Why aren't we offered the same arrangement. The movie can be made for the same money it is now. If it's not sold or distribulted, we all go on our merry way. If it is sold or distributed, then we are paid. Done!

Robert

I just watched the trailer to The Ed Burns film they're referring to "Newlyweds".... And not surprisingly, It sounds terrible. Apparently they did not have a sound mixer at all and "Just used Lav mics".. Surely this has to be a anomaly in the professional world, it just sounds terrible and is an unpleasant experience to watch. Will the masses consume something like this and not notice!?

errgh

"the masses" consume massive amounts of commercial music that is compressed to the point of being a square waveform, and listens to it on shitty ear buds that are turned up too high so that they are ruining their hearing while listening to something that has no low end to speak of.

"the masses" also for some reason voluntarily choose to watch shows like "Whitney" or "Parks and Recreation" (coincidentally both on NBC) when they are utterly devoid of good writing.

I think with that rousing review of "the masses" ability to choose good products... we are doomed.

Amazingly, and even though we know this to be true (that you have to pay for good work), and even though the industry has survived for almost a century on that principle...

Someone always decides he's smarter than everybody else, can buck the system, turn out a terrific film for no money (like there aren't enough people in Hollywood trying that already)... which will magically become a success and turn them into a top producer / director working in that same system they're smarter than!

Doesn't sound like on camera mic to me. Maybe the echoey hallway scene. Did sound like lavs running a bit hot against limiters, giving that newsy on location/reality show sound. But dialog was clear and no clothes rustle...surprising for 1 person crew and talent moving around...of course, the full movie might have really rough spots that didn't make it into the trailer.

But I watched it a couple times and didn't really get the real point of it.

there are 3 questions I ask when someone calls me for a gig.

1 - what is the rate

2 - what is the schedule like (daily and shooting)

3 - what are the other major details of the project

my general rule of thumb is - if they can't get through these questions without saying "This is a really great opportunity for you" I probably am not interested in the job.

I think some people I talk to with these no budget projects tend to think im an ass, but the truth is I got tired of listening to people talk about their projects for a half hour only to find that it all comes down to me not getting paid.

That is a waste of a half hour. Now these questions need to be answered first before I waste a bunch of my time which could better be spent playing Skyrim. If you can't answer these questions first, I already know the answer to them.

there are 3 questions I ask when someone calls me for a gig.

1 - what is the rate

2 - what is the schedule like (daily and shooting)

3 - what are the other major details of the project

my general rule of thumb is - if they can't get through these questions without saying "This is a really great opportunity for you" I probably am not interested in the job.

I think some people I talk to with these no budget projects tend to think im an ass, but the truth is I got tired of listening to people talk about their projects for a half hour only to find that it all comes down to me not getting paid.

That is a waste of a half hour. Now these questions need to be answered first before I waste a bunch of my time which could better be spent playing Skyrim. If you can't answer these questions first, I already know the answer to them.

I agree, then there's those ones you think are alright and they turn out awful. I think I need to buy skyrim for when I'm done this show and not work for a minute.