My review of Petrol PS614 Bag

Tom Maloney

I order this bag mid December, only to find it wasn’t shipping till this month.

I currently have a Petrol Pegz1 bag which I have used with a 442 / 702 T and then a 552.

I was not happy with placing the 788T/ CL 8 in this bag with the hard sides the input connections seemed very jammed to me.

The first thing about the new PS 614 that surprised me is that there is NO carry straps or handle like their other bags. Not a big issue till your take it off your harness and want to carry it to another location, there is a long carry strap which I am going to shorten for carrying purposes.

The bag comes with the long strap, two removable interchangeable dividers, two clip on radio pouches, 4 soft pillows, two wide velcro straps, and a removable radio holder that has elastic for holding 6 radios and clear plastic cover.

The open sides give ample access to all cabling how ever you place the CL8 either top or bottom of the 788T, The pillows are nice , you can position them so there is no pressure on the CL8 connection on the bottom of the 788T. The 2nd supplied divider makes a nice little shelf to support the CL8, I found it is stronger to have the velcro support facing up and not down, it will bend either direction.

After placing RXs in the holder, there is plenty of room in the bottom for XLRs even if not using a 90 degree connectors. In front of the radio holder there is still another zippered compartment.

I really like the battery compartment, unlike the older bags you don’t have to unzip both sides and undo the velcro to get to the battery. There is a single zipper on the left side you undo for easy swapping.

The bag seems smaller than my Pegz1, not as deep , but plenty of room. I will try to post some pictures here if I can figure it out

Thanks

Tom Maloney

post-1502-0-63957100-1329942346.jpg

supplied divider

post-1502-0-64930300-1329942456.jpg

Divider for 788T / CL8

post-1502-0-31787200-1329942514.jpg

post-1502-0-09875700-1329942546.jpg

post-1502-0-89155000-1329942585.jpg

post-1502-0-99758900-1329942615.jpg

post-1502-0-57112000-1329942650.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some great features with this bag but i think its missing the large front pocket for accessories. if you're rocking a 788/cl8 and a couple of wireless you're probably going to have at some point, your tx's and lav mics stowed in your bag. it looks like it has somewhat of a front pocket but not quite enough to put away extra batteries, tape, cards, lavs, tx's, etc.. it does look attractive for a nomad user like myself. I look forward to checking one out but i still think it might not have enough room for my needs.

thanks for the photos and write up!

Alternatively, mount your NP1 under your CL8 and store all lavs, accessories, etc. in the back zippered pocket. Mount all wireless in front pocket (holds 6 SRa/411 perfectly. This is what I did when the PS607 couldn't "fit" this much stuff, especially when the back zippered pocked wasn't able to fit my NP1 batteries.

I unfortunately bought the bag without doing a demo first to see if everything would fit. For the Nomad, its a tough fit or not a fit at all cause there is NO ROOM for the Zaxnet antenna unless you use an extension cable. That alone is a deal breaker. In addition you can't put any cushions on the bottom of the unit to give it some protection. There is not enough space for Lav boxes/pouchs, lav accessories, AA/9v batteries, TX's, pens, etc.; all the gack you would need. Also not enough D-rings. Basically it needs to be bigger.

On the bright side the divider that gives you access to the inputs on the Nomad is nice and convenient and so is the wireless holder Tom mentioned. The section where the wireless holder sits opens up pretty wide for easier access (+1) and the zipper for the battery compartment is cool.

All in all, I would wait till they alleviated all the problems with this version of the bag.

Gabe

I really wish I could buy individual pieces for petrol .

I usually get them from "The ONE" from Israel most of us miss on this forum.

But would have been nice to be able to buy individual parts from the usual suspects.

I love this part:

IMG_0005.JPG

I agree. I really want this piece to. I don't see why they wouldn't sell it separate. They do with some of there pieces, like the receiver holders.

I unfortunately bought the bag without doing a demo first to see if everything would fit. For the Nomad, its a tough fit or not a fit at all cause there is NO ROOM for the Zaxnet antenna unless you use an extension cable. That alone is a deal breaker. In addition you can't put any cushions on the bottom of the unit to give it some protection. There is not enough space for Lav boxes/pouchs, lav accessories, AA/9v batteries, TX's, pens, etc.; all the gack you would need. Also not enough D-rings. Basically it needs to be bigger.

On the bright side the divider that gives you access to the inputs on the Nomad is nice and convenient and so is the wireless holder Tom mentioned. The section where the wireless holder sits opens up pretty wide for easier access (+1) and the zipper for the battery compartment is cool.

All in all, I would wait till they alleviated all the problems with this version of the bag.

Gabe

+1....Petrol if you're listening..

For a Nomad it should be a few cms wider for the zaxnet aerial and have a bigger front pocket. Ideally for me like a 602 but one unit less deep. I'll wait a while and keep using the oversized 602 for now.

Tom, thank you for posting this with the photos, very helpful. I emailed Trew audio about this bag when it was first announced.

I'm often in the situation where the PEGZ1 (601) is often just a bit too large. This looks like the perfect bag for my 552 and 4 radios.

The pegz1 is always too deep so I'm glad there is a new option.

So isn't this the first of a new series of lightweight bags? I guess we'll see what NAB brings. I would love something lighter for my Fusion than the PEGZ3 beast. At least for those jobs where I am not carrying EVERYTHING in a bag (that I am wearing) that's pushing 40lbs. There are days I even feel like my PEGZ1 with the 442 seems a bit heavier than it should be. I used a KATA bag with my 302, 2 x 411 RXs, and a zaxcom hop. I didn't really like the configuration of the bag (for my specific setup), but I liked how lightweight it was.

WRT handles, you might want to get one of these:

http://www.ems.com/p...677347.11360113

They make them in varying lengths. They are light, tough and you can clip them to the bottom rungs on the bag when not in use.

The one thing I liked about the Petrol handles was that they stayed out of the way a bit better than a handle that clips to the D-rings (like Portabrace uses on some bags).

• 2 weeks later...

So this is not a nomad specific bag? I heard somewhere on here that it was? NAB can't come soon enough!

http://www.petrolbags.com/node/1291

This appears to be their Nomad (and 788T) bag. Petrol has some specific inserts for the Nomad and 788T included with this bag, and shows those two devices in the pictures. I'm guessing it was a design flaw to not accommodate the Zaxnet antenna. Hopefully they will address that.... some day. Otherwise it's the bigger (heavier) Petrol bag, or the options from Portabrace and Kortwich.

I was speaking with the folks at Gotham Sound a few weeks ago and was told that the 614 was originally designed for use with the Nomad in mind, however the antenna was not taken into consideration. Petrol is apparently aware of this and is re-designing the bag to better fit. No time frame on when it will be released. However, that's just second hand information from Gotham, so time will tell if that is really the case.