Headphone cable clip?

bendybones

I often find my headphones being partially or totally pulled off by their cable catching on clothes.

Do any of you use a clip that attaches to your headphone cable to clip it to your clothes?

I have been looking on Amazon and so forth and can only find clips that seem to be sized for very thin (earbud style) cables.

Any recommendations?

I often find my headphones being partially or totally pulled off by their cable catching on clothes. Do any of you use a clip that attaches to your headphone cable to clip it to your clothes?

Not me, but I did customize my headphone cables to go with straight cords rather than curly. I find it gets in the way a lot less that way.

+1

I never understood why people use curly/coiled cables for headphones and boom jumper.

I worked with production rented gear and it took one day to start hating coiled cables.

The second day I got my own straight cables.

Not me, but I did customize my headphone cables to go with straight cords rather than curly. I find it gets in the way a lot less that way.

+1

I never understood why people use curly/coiled cables for headphones and boom jumper.

I worked with production rented gear and it took one day to start hating coiled cables.

The second day I got my own straight cables.

It takes years of experience to learn how to use coiled cables correctly (I think IATSE Local 695 even conducts classes on this), but when you do, you'll never go back.

I much prefer coiled headphone and boom cables -- tidy and easy to sling.

(I also like Mirror's solution to a clip -- simple and effective -- and can even end the complaining.)

Just did the opposite. Went from a straight cable on my HD25 which was catching on every door handle, c-stand, pony-clip that I walked past, to a coiled cable. Now my headset doesn't fly off my head like a bad comedy skit.

http://www.customcans.co.uk/ccstore/cables/41-leightweight-curly-cord-for-sennheiser-hd-25-35m-12-black.html

I've had both curly-cord and straight cords get caught on something and either rip them off my head (with ears) or almost pull something down, like a C-stand. On a suggestion from Blake Wilcox, I cut the length of my straight headphone cable on my bag system to about 4 feet, which is just about perfect. On a cart, I can go either way, no clip necessary.

I don't mind the coiley for boom to mixer connection. I don't like them for headphones but I attended a seminar a few years ago and the speaker had a cool idea to share. He put a piece of black tie off cord down the center of the coils and then electrical taped the ends so the coils stay closed keeping the overall length only as long as the coiley is unstretched. I modified that approach and used an elastic cord so there's still a bit of stretch available if needed. Since the coils are closed most of the time they don't catch on stuff and get stretched out ten times longer than they need to be.

+1 to Marc's post,

Methinks the main problem with headphone cords is they are excessively long for our typical use...and the coiled cords add weight. Probably better to have it short, straight and have an extension for the rare times more is needed. Need to do this with my cans. For my boom when bagging, went with a 5 ft. straight cable.