Alternative to Rycote modular...

JDirckze

Hi all,

I'm currently using a combination of a Rycote Softie (which is fine for indoors and outdoors when there is a low wind), and a Rycote Modular windshield (for when there is a high amount of wind outdoors). I've been doing a shoot based in San Francisco, and as you are all probably aware, it can get very windy there, especially where this particular shoot is located.

The problem I'm having is that we are often moving rapidly from indoors to outdoors, and while the solution seems to be to keep the modular on at all times, I'm finding the weight of the modular, and it's bulky footprint to be an issue.

What Im searching for is a solution that is the same footprint as a Softie, but will give me the wind rejection of a modular system, without too much degredation to audio quality of my 416.

Does such a solution exist? Or am I living in a fantasy world?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks for the link Scott,

Although I was aware of the DPA Windpac, I haven't really considered it as an option. Perhaps the cost put me off, or the strange non-standard shape. Funny that the link you posted is to trew audio, as I emailed trew audio asking the same question more than a week ago, but they never got back to me.

I think I'm most turned off by it's size. Im looking for something no bigger than a Rycote softie

Any other options? How about a combination of windshields? One inside a Softie for example? Or a softie and a wrap around windshield?

John,

They do make a windjammer-type cover for the standard 416 windscreen.  Not sure if this is any better than a Softie, but it's not too expensive.  If I'm using a 416 outside, I like to use my PSC Universal Prower Supply.  It has two levels of high pass filter at your fingertips, which seem to work a little better than those on the board.

Robert

Yeah, I just went to my local audio distributor and found that Koala does a "Softcover" which is supposed to fit over a Rycote Softie and give similar results to Rycotes modular.

Can anyone out there confirm this? I think I'll pick it up and give it a road test when Im in San Francisco next month.

On a side note, I also had a look at Sanken's CS-1 and CS-3 as an alternative to my 416. Im picking one up next week on loan to give it a road test. Cheaper than a 416, but Im not sure if the Sanken's will be as robust or last as long. Should be interesting

Thanks for the replies! Hopefully I've found my solution in the Koala Softcover

Jason,

Why don't you make one?

Go to a local air con shop and buy some white P400 airconditioning filter.Cut it to fit over your softy,glue the edges,then slide it over the existing softy and secure with what ever is at hand.I'd be surprised if it took more than half an hour.Its totally acoustically transparent and resistant to even the highest winds that you could hold your pole up in.

I made one up for my Rycote modular windshield and it worked a treat.The only thing is that it will be subject to wear and tear but then it is so cheap you could make up several at a next to nothing cost.

Regards,

Brian

Jason,

Why don't you make one?

Go to a local air con shop and buy some white P400 airconditioning filter.Cut it to fit over your softy,glue the edges,then slide it over the existing softy and secure with what ever is at hand.I'd be surprised if it took more than half an hour.Its totally acoustically transparent and resistant to even the highest winds that you could hold your pole up in.

I made one up for my Rycote modular windshield and it worked a treat.The only thing is that it will be subject to wear and tear but then it is so cheap you could make up several at a next to nothing cost.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks for the tip brian!

I actually have some stuff lying around in my garage, dont think it is the same stuff you are talking about, it is called "acoustisorb" or "Tontine". Might be a good little project to take on this weekend

On a side note, I also had a look at Sanken's CS-1 and CS-3 as an alternative to my 416. Im picking one up next week on loan to give it a road test. Cheaper than a 416, but Im not sure if the Sanken's will be as robust or last as long. Should be interesting

Jason,

I use a CS-1 and am very happy, It's now my standard ENG mic. small,light and good reach / side rejection. Mines been from -10c to 40c & high humidity without any problem. Fantasic for IV's in noisey offices where you would usually have to resort to a lav and also matches well with the cos-11 too.  (BTW, it's in my old 416 rycote blimp)

Grant.

Thanks for the info Grant,

I'll be testing one out for one of our green screen host shoots, which is in a particularly echoey studio. Should be a good environment to compare the CS-1 to the 416.

I have COS-11's too, interesting point about the matching qualities.

I will be split tracking the CS-1 and COS-11's, but due to necessity. We have 2 hosts, one male one female, both wearing tight long sleeve shirts, and I can only hide the mic on the female talent. So the COS-11 will be on the female host, CS-1 covering both talent. Im keen to hear the results...

Will also be borrowing a CS-3e after I've put the CS-1 through it's paces.

Cheers,

Jason