the Nomad post from Rado removed ???

filmsalang

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened? Just curious cause I have been thinking of ordering Nomad and trying getting informatation from users.

That post was worth to solve the current problem openly.

Uhmmmm...

Rado deleted his original post (he is the author) and all of the replies/comments went with it. Had he not deleted the post, followed the appropriate course of action for his specific problem (which, judging by many of the replies, appears to be a problem unique to his particular Nomad) and then reported back to this forum that his problems have been solved, that would have been a good thing. It is not enough for us to just listen to one person's rant about a specific problem they are having with a new piece of equipment --- the expectation is that people will chime in with useful suggestions and the original poster will follow up with the outcome.

" and full blame for "

see, it really isn't about that...

It isn't about "blame", it is about solving the issues, and that requires clear thinking, sometime that we sometimes don't do as well when we are under stress, like experiencing a meltdown of some sort. That is, frankly, why I just keep (politely) mentioning: <hat>, reminding folks of the obvious.

and, yes, it even happens to me. ::)

I think it's too bad the original post was deleted. There was some very useful information in it.

When the intention of a posting is to be truthful and helpful (rather than harmful), I think we should feel free to post negative and/or positive comments. It's true that a negative posting about a product can be misleading, but I've seen positive comments that are equally misleading. The only criteria should be that the comments are truthful and helpful to our profession. The only exceptions should be sentences that have unbiased entertainment value, such as this one.

A few days ago Rado posted his real-time play-by-play video of receiving his new Nomad package and setting it up, (which IIRC was entirely positive). Everyone seemed to enjoy it, no one seemed to mind, and he was not asked to take it private. So it makes sense that the next in his series would be about his first on-the-job day with it, in a similar style (sans the video). It happened to be a very frustrating experience, so he got some grief for the post. But if everything had gone beautifully, would anyone have complained about his play-by-play account?

Everyone knows that a single experience - good or bad - is not enough to judge a product. In both cases, Rado was not suggesting that everyone would always have the same experiences; he was only relaying his experiences, both of which I believe were informative and helpful. When someone posts only positive or only negative comments about a product they are very familiar with, you can bet your entire package they are withholding something. So, when Rado talks about his good experiences (which I bet will happen again), we can believe him.

Having seen both sides of every product that is typically used in this industry, I can tell you that they have all had multiple problems. I also know first hand how it can make a manufacturer cringe when a negative experience is posted about a product. But in truth, it is a golden opportunity for them to show the world how well they respond to the inevitable, and a golden opportunity for us to find out.

Glen Trew

I don't care who the manufacturer is, there is always an issue now and again. (most of mine are self induced) Stress can kill you, hearing of other peoples calamities helps reduce the stress in some ways. If you know somebody else went through a problem you are having, and they survived, there's a good chance you will survive it too. Also venting helps steam come out the ears.

One thing I have found valuable about forums like this is being able to post about a problem with gear and getting responses from end users. Yes, I agree, call your dealer and manufacturer first..if you can, but what if it is during off hours? Sometimes a forum is the only place you can get help if you need it right away. I know I've been bailed out with failing DigiDesign gear on forums late at night when I HAD to fix the problem right away, and not wait a day or so.

It is not CF cards. They worked great all day today in 702T.

Sandisk 32gb CF tested twice with HdTune.

I was following the thread all day, and it was suggested that the cards might be the problem, but that was before Rado clarified that he was using the recommended size and brand of card. I don't think we ever did get to what the issue could be before that. I didn't get to hear the audio file he posted. I have a Nomad too and it would have liked to hear what it sounded like.

I can sympathize with Rado here, especially in relation to Zaxcom gear. The only piece of equipment I've had completely fail on me out in the field has been a Zaxcom QRX100. And it's failed on me twice. Both times the internal antenna had come loose. The 2.4gHz antenna locking nut has failed and the locking nut on the TRX900AA antenna has failed.

My first point of call was to my dealer though, and like Rado on both occasions I had a backup link I could use.

Here you go.

http://soundcloud.co...na/nomad-freeze

I have been playing around with the Nomad for the last 25 minutes with the same CF cards but the new 3.77 firmware that I updated last night. It seams to be working fine.

Thanks Rado. Have to say I've never heard anything quite like that before. Glad to hear things seem to have straightened out.

It sound like the effect called 'BitCrusher' in Pro Tools. Which despite its name actually affects the sampling rate (or 'resolution' as they call it) of the audio file, not its bit depth. I'd say malfunctioning ADC. I'd be interested to know if it was on all channels, but I don't know if Rado checked that or just immediately swapped to the 552 (what I would have done too).

The only piece of equipment I've had completely fail on me out in the field has been a Zaxcom QRX100. And it's failed on me twice. Both times the internal antenna had come loose. The 2.4gHz antenna locking nut has failed and the locking nut on the TRX900AA antenna has failed.

Me too. In fact my QRX and LT's are both about to make their 3rd trip back to the factory to fix an issue with them not being able to write new firmware. And my IFB is crapping all over my wireless frequencies, I get double the range with the IFB turned off. And yes, before anyone asks, I've checked the antenna and it's not that.

I've got to say that although Zaxcom is a pioneer in terms of features in their product line (or proposed features), they seem to have a higher percentage of lemons than other manufacturers. Also a higher percentage of user error caused perhaps by a bit of over-engineering, and manuals written by engineers and technicians and not "the rest of us".

It's clear if you've got one of the "good ones" that you do have a spectacular piece of gear. There is great loyalty from those who have had good luck, our host included. But it seems that if you have one of the less good ones, that you are riddled with problems. Simply sending it back for service is not a good solution for some people around the world.

This, and a failure to support some older equipment, may or may not offset the advantage of the advanced technology. That's up to each consumer to decide.

Robert

Edited by RPSharman

I've got to say that although Zaxcom is a pioneer in terms of features in their product line (or proposed features), they seem to have a higher percentage of lemons than other manufacturers. Also a higher percentage of user error caused perhaps by a bit of over-engineering, and manuals written by engineers and technicians and not "the rest of us".

It's clear if you've got one of the "good ones" that you do have a spectacular piece of gear. There is great loyalty from those who have had good luck, our host included. But it seems that if you have one of the less good ones, that you are riddled with problems. Simply sending it back for service is not a good solution for some people around the world.

This, and a failure to support older some older equipment, may or may not offset the advantage of the advanced technology. That's up to each consumer to decide.

Robert

Points out how important it is to have a dealer that you can rely on to go to bat for you if the need arises. Advanced technology is all around us today and when it works there is nothing more wonderful. When it doesn't it really sucks. I'm on a shoot right now with a piece of video gear that didn't work right out of the box. Back it goes to be replaced. We're working around it but you would think something brand new would work.

Do you pay insurance when you send it back?

Everytime I pay insurance it hurts me.

I was quoted $193 by UPS and $156 by FedEx to send my nomad and my erx1tcds back.

I might just take a ride and deliver them myself middle of march when I go to NYC.

Me too. In fact my QRX and LT's are both about to make their 3rd trip back to the factory to fix an issue with them not being able to write new firmware. And my IFB is crapping all over my wireless frequencies, I get double the range with the IFB turned off. And yes, before anyone asks, I've checked the antenna and it's not that.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

This, and a failure to support some older equipment, may or may not offset the advantage of the advanced technology. That's up to each consumer to decide.

Robert

Very well said

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

I was quoted $193 by UPS and $156 by FedEx to send my nomad and my erx1tcds back.

I might just take a ride and deliver them myself middle of march when I go to NYC.

I insure it, but not for the full value, as that's way too expensive. The last time Zaxcom sent my two LT's and the QRX back to me, they valued the whole package at $800. I know that's one way to get it past customs, but if it got lost, it would only be covered up to $800. For a package worth around $6000... I valued the whole thing at $2500, as that's the maximum our postal service would allow. Cost about $215 if I remember correctly.

I'd love to go visit them in Jersey again (the last time I had something repaired I walked into the office - I was on a vacation at the time) but unfortunately I'm in Australia. Not only do I have to send it across the world, but I lose it for about 3 weeks minimum.

Edited by soundslikejustin

$156 for FedEx - that's crazy. I've shipped and insured gear with FedEx for significantly less than that. Sign up for a FedEx account -it's free and you can get a discount on list prices.

The other thing I do is my insurance policy covers any item in transit - so I just insure it for the deductible.