Battery for recorder and mixer

Winter

Hi,

I need to feed my recorder (Tascam DR-680) and my mixer (SD442) and I really don't know where to start.

My idea (well, the only thing I can see clearly) is to find something small enough to be carried in the same bag.

Which kind of solutions do you use or suggest for that matter?

Thanks a lot in advance!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter, look into the Hawk Woods or BDS distribution devices. They are small and give a lot of power, specially when connected to a li-on battery. Pay attention to the kind of power connector you recorder and mixer need, to order the right set up for you.

http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A296Q4/Globalmediapro-SC1-1-channel-Mini-Charger-2-x-Globalmediapro-DCU95-Battery-95WH-with-D-Tap/

I have NP's right now. I'm selling them and switching to the batteries in the link I provided.

They are smaller, lighter, cheaper and will last longer then my NP's. I've heard good things about them.

http://www.globalmed...5WH-with-D-Tap/

I have NP's right now. I'm selling them and switching to the batteries in the link I provided.

They are smaller, lighter, cheaper and will last longer then my NP's. I've heard good things about them.

This is another very interesting info. So could I use one of those connected to a distribution device and have longer duration than NP-1 type , am I right?

Winter - if you are referring to the NP type batteries available in the market as of now, yes - these globalmediapro units have more capacity.

I brought this up in another thread recently - couple of days back. i am sure you can find it.

However, i have decided to go another direction - i am building a Li-Ion pack of using the standard 18650 Li-Ion cells. In fact I am building two of them.

14.4V ~ 8 Ah capacity

size 11 x 3.7 x 7.5 cm

weight ~ 600-700 gm

price 100 $ each

I don't think there is ANY need to stick to the NP format, i mean the physical shape of an NP. If one is using a distribution box like the BDS/Powerstar/Battery Bud, there's no reason why you HAVE to go with NP type batts.

Some recorders use the NP style for their internal battery, but even these could take DC in - IIRC.

-vin

Winter - here's the thread -

Thanks a lot for the useful infos! How many hours you have from a single pack in your setup? One of my issues is how long the power pack will last, since I work 99,9% of the times for doco-verité, so it can be very complicated dealing with short last lasting batteries if you're in the middle of nowhere during so many hours (you know, starting at 5:00 AM and go home at 5:00 AM again... )

Thanks a lot for the useful infos! How many hours you have from a single pack in your setup? One of my issues is how long the power pack will last, since I work 99,9% of the times for doco-verité, so it can be very complicated dealing with short last lasting batteries if you're in the middle of nowhere during so many hours (you know, starting at 5:00 AM and go home at 5:00 AM again... )

What are the current requirements for each of your devices? What are the specs of the batteries you are considering? From there, simply apply Ohm's Law for a decent estimate of run time.

Caveat: Cheaper batteries are more likely to have hyped specs.

Furnish the specs and many here can show you how to apply Ohm's Law to make these computations.

Furnish the specs and many here can show you how to apply Ohm's Law to make these computations.

Hi John and thanks for replying. From what I've found on manuals, the Tascam DR-680 has a power consumption of 9,5w while the SD 442...well, is'nt clear from the manual, because also depends from the use of phantom power and can change from mic to mic (but probably many people here is experienced with this unit).

From what I've read since now, it seems that the batteries that better fit my needs are the Globalmediapro, so i copy/paste the specs from their website:

Cell type: LITHIUM ION

Capacity: 6600mAh

Rating voltage: 14.8V

End voltage: 11V

Optimal Fast Charge Rate: 3.3A

Power limit including DC Connector: 55W

Maximum current: 4A

Guys, thanks once more for the priceless help!!!

I'm reluctant to buy anything from Global Mediapro, just because they don't take credit cards and appear to be a non-U.S. country with dicey support. I'm a lot more comfortable getting something conservative and supported like the IDX batteries and Trew's BDS system. I know for a fact those will work, even though you pay a little more for known reliability.

I'm reluctant to buy anything from Global Mediapro, just because they don't take credit cards and appear to be a non-U.S. country with dicey support. I'm a lot more comfortable getting something conservative and supported like the IDX batteries and Trew's BDS system. I know for a fact those will work, even though you pay a little more for known reliability.

Reliability has a cost, but known reliability costs even more, this is a fact we all know :)

But GlobalMediaPro seems reliable; copy/past from their website:

"Globalmediapro is a company registered and based in New Zealand.

Globalmediapro is a Talent Employer officially accredited by the NZ Government and is a member of the Auckland Chamber of Commerce."

Another consideration could be about the products they sell, i don't know if somebody here has a direct experience.

Obviously, products like IDX batteries, used by many and for many years have a very nice reputation, and yes, it's confortable buying something that you know it will work flawlessy.