PSC RF Multi SMa - Part 2

RadoStefanov

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rado

I have posted a little over in the "bag pictures" topic.

The custom cables I had made arrived damaged - over heated when heat shrink was put on - the BNC isolation was distorted so I couldn't plug them in (50%)

Sorted that out and had 1st major production shoot from yesterday; six Rx with Alp620 and a coax antenna. 1st impressions are very positive. As I can only guess what reception would be like without the SMA I cannot put concrete markers on how improved the performance actually is. The most noticeable thing is that antenna switching seems to be reduced. I have also been able to change the 411a SmtNR to normal from full without any adverse effects. I also feel more comfortable in sitting back (from the talent) a little more; struggling for RF less.

Anyone else with user comments?

Chris, are you using you alp as a bag/eng setup or are you doing more stationary work. I'm wondering if people are doing run and gun type work with these larger antennas sticking out, if there's another way, or if the traditional whips are the way to go.

Maybe this is a new topic? :)

I'm using an RF SMA in the bag with an SNA600 and a Remote Audio Miracle Whip. I have 4 900lt feeding two QRX100Q receivers going in to a Fusion 12, outputting to an IFB100 and 900AA/STA100. I also have one Lectro 411a in the bag for the show I'm on until May.

Talent wireless are all block 21, Lectro Rx is block 22, camera hops in block 26.

I made all my cables for the RF SMA; RA SMA to RA SMA for my QRX receivers, a couple RA SMA to RA BNC for the Lectro. Parts are from L-Com; RG174 and each cable is 18-20 inches long. I may remake the cables using 316 cable to take advantage of the teflon coating and improved RF rejection.

Overall I'm getting great range out of the kit. The Lectro unit is setup to a UM400A transmitter in the casts' pickup truck and I have an SNA600 attached to that transmitter and positioned high on the rear window of the cab. At one point on the freeway I got between a quarter mile to a half mile range from the Lectro Tx in the truck with a clear line of sight. When other vehicles are between our chase vehicle and the cast truck range is reduced as would be expected.

The 900LT units are just using their whip antennas and are buried down in casts' pockets. Range while driving was a couple hundred feet. When not driving I'm easily getting 400-500 feet without any dropouts and a reasonably clear line of sight.

This show has us jumping from a car garage, where I use the new Zaxcom LPDA and an SNA600 dipole on the cart, to being mobile and driving long distances around the state.

Having the RF SMA has made it possible to quickly switch from the two cart antennas to the bag antennas and back again. The unit powers right off my BDS system.

Well worth the money and time to set it up!

www.matthewfreed.com

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Films, and Commercials

I'm using the Alp620 on the bag for most situations. It does poke out a bit so if space is tight I use a whip. It's rigged on mini magic arm so I can adjust so it is beside the bag rather than above. Makes booming easier. I wouldn't try and actually run with the sharkfin on

Interesting. I'm curious to how it actually looks in the bag. Do you have any photos and do you notice a worthwhile change in range compared to the whips? I suppose you do or you wouldn't use it. :)

I'd be curious to see this Zaxcom dipole antenna, do you have a picture ?

Looks like you found a good way to ease up your life on that gig Matthew

The dipole I'm using is a Lectrosonics SNA600. I also have the Zaxcom filter antenna but I haven't seen any change in my receiver scans so I usually don't use it in the bag. My talent Rx's are 5 blocks away from my hops. The filter antenna is handy on the cart, however.

www.matthewfreed.com

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Films, and Commercials

• 3 months later...

hi all,

i used the multi sma almost daily for the last 2 months and it worked like a charm. as i am working off a bag based cart, everything is crammed in a bag on the top shelf, so this small splitter comes in VERY handy ( basically a deva5.8, 5*411 and a BDS that powers everything from a 10ah-life-batterypack ). rf performance was rocksolid with sna600s attached on the cart and acceptable with coax-dipoles on the shoulderstraps in mobile configuration off the cart. i can only compare it to my previous ( and bulky ) audio2040/rk4/lpda setup and rf performance feels at least the same. there was only one shot where the setup came to its limits, but that was in a medieval castle with extremely thick walls and the actors played across 2 rooms, with videovillage being in the third...

the biggest advantage to me is the possibility to go mobile in a couple of seconds without changing anything on my setup. just unhook the mix8 and attach the strap with the antennas and on it goes :-)

i didnt update the multi sma yet, but as i am not using the antenna powering option, the rf-amp shouldnt blow, according to ron

greetings

marco

Mine worked like a treat for four days then developed a licking noise. Been back to be fixed BUT just found out I have to send again. PSC have been great but does leave me wondering....

Whats so bad about a licking noise?

Hope you made it ut of there reasonably early last night?

Cheers

Mega

Damn iPhone autocorrect! and my bad for not reading before hitting send.

Yep, clicking not licking.....

Not exactly sure what the cause is; believe to do with RF amp faulting.

Look forward to getting it back and in the bag.

I finished up same time as Dave and Tim do not last one out. You make it to the party?

Damn iPhone autocorrect! and my bad for not reading before hitting send.

Yep, clicking not licking.....

Not exactly sure what the cause is; believe to do with RF amp faulting.

Look forward to getting it back and in the bag.

I finished up same time as Dave and Tim do not last one out. You make it to the party?

Didn't make it to the wrap party. Had a 545am call time the next morning and couldn't face a seedy day hung over.

Apologies to everyone for socializing in this thread. BTW, I don't own a PSC RF multi thingy so can't comment.

See you soon (you too Rag)

Cheers

Mega

Mine went to the Mothership twice for RF amp issues (licking, I mean, clicking noise). Havent had a chance to really bang on it, but it worked in my bag for over an hour after I got it back. I took it out for my current gig as it (paired with 2 SNAs) was working TOO well in the 2 locations we always shoot in.

I think the recent recall of these units was due to a possible fault with the antenna powering function. PSC worked out this kink just as I was about to start a gig where the multi SMA was integral but Ron advised me that as long as I kept the antenna powering switch taped off I would be fine (I didn't need antenna powering luckily). He was right and the unit performed very well giving incredible range from Sennheiser SK5212-II Txs into Wisycom MCR42 receivers using centre fed dipole ariels. Basically I would say don't be put off the multi SMA by reading about these problems. Once fixed it really works well and is worth the somewhat pricey UK price tag.

I'm looking forward to getting my unit back, but not so much to shoe horning everything back into the bag. It's all a tight fit in there and if I can prefer to leave it all alone if it's working, as it should be :). The 788/CL8 and four or five Rx, zaxcom Tx, IFB Tx and two NP1s doesn't leave much plugging in and out space.

When I get the Multi back I might try mounting the Rx sideways to see if it makes the fit a bit better.

• 2 weeks later...

My unit is ampflying RF Leakage from my 788T and is making my block 19 SR useless. Ron has been very helpful so far and we are working together to try and fix the problem. The unit is working correctly for my other SR in block 21 and 26 and if I remote out my sharkfins the leakage goes away.

I'm interested to know what antennas people are using. I tried a dipole and a whip, no good. Great indoors horrible outside. Haven't had the time to setup 2 dipoles on my bag. And now that I 've switched to a different style I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do to mount it.