How to best collapse a boom pole...

OmahaAudio

I almost hate to ask this as it's probably obvious but since I've just got my first boom pole with an internal coiled cable...

Is there a "best" way to expand or collapse the pole (K-Tek Klassic) to avoid kinking the internal cable as much as possible? Is it best to start collapsing at the top (the end with the mic) or the bottom?

i just (this morning) got a PSC internally cabled pole. ive found that if the cable that comes through the top where the mic screws in gets pulled too far back in to the pole when you are fully extended, the pole doesnt fully collapse unless i pull a the cable back out. i wonder if this is the same for the k-tek pole?

if I have a long fully extended boom like a Loon or something, I collapse starting from the top and turn the pole upside down as you collapse the last section at the bottom. (if there is room to do that)

For the most part in small or tight areas I will start to collapse the section closest to me or whatever is easy.

Just take care to not twist the pole sections around as you are making length adjustments,otherwise the cord will get twisted up. If it happens it wont collapse fully and you have to disconnect the cable by unscrewing the shroom base and detach the ta connector. Although It is good practice to do it every now and again.

Congrats on your new pole! What length did you get?

Rich, Perhaps a zip tie around the cable exit or simply wrap the cable to the pole to prevent slipping down.

Best,

Matt

If these boom pole manufacturers would start implementing Anti-Leg Rotation setups like most CF tripods have this would never be a problem AND it would be easier to loosen, tighten, expand and collapse these poles. Its extremely easy to do, couldnt possibly cost that much more and doesnt add a noticeable weight increase. I have written K-Tek about it and of course didnt get a response.

If these boom pole manufacturers would start implementing Anti-Leg Rotation setups like most CF tripods have this would never be a problem AND it would be easier to loosen, tighten, expand and collapse these poles. Its extremely easy to do, couldnt possibly cost that much more and doesnt add a noticeable weight increase. I have written K-Tek about it and of course didnt get a response.

+1

My first pole was a gitzo, and although the last two sections are too skinny for a coiled cable to work well, I loved the fact that the segment never twisted against each other. I was dismayed when I started using other poles and found out they don't do that. The single thing I don't like about my ambient poles is the intersegment twisting.

+1

My first pole was a gitzo, and although the last two sections are too skinny for a coiled cable to work well, I loved the fact that the segment never twisted against each other. I was dismayed when I started using other poles and found out they don't do that. The single thing I don't like about my ambient poles is the intersegment twisting.

I know its pretty surprising to find. I guess if youve never owned a quality photo tripod you wouldnt notice a difference, but when I expanded my $700 K-tek only to find out it didnt I instantly felt a little cheated, especially since I own two Gitzo tripods each around the same price and know how easy it is to implement ALR (anti-let rotation) having taken the gtizos apart.

I know its pretty surprising to find. I guess if youve never owned a quality photo tripod you wouldnt notice a difference, but when I expanded my $700 K-tek only to find out it didnt I instantly felt a little cheated, especially since I own two Gitzo tripods each around the same price and know how easy it is to implement ALR (anti-let rotation) having taken the gtizos apart.

Maybe you and I should start making boom poles? It's a simple groove and channel that stops the rotation.

I wonder if the difference is that Gitzo makes their own tubes, and other manufacturers buy tubes already made? I don't know if that's the case or not, but there are several carbon fiber tube manufacturers, and buying their existing tubing would be a lot cheaper than custom spec'ing ordering tubes unless you can do the volume that Gitzo does.

Maybe you and I should start making boom poles? It's a simple groove and channel that stops the rotation.

I wonder if the difference is that Gitzo makes their own tubes, and other manufacturers buy tubes already made? I don't know if that's the case or not, but there are several carbon fiber tube manufacturers, and buying their existing tubing would be a lot cheaper than custom spec'ing ordering tubes unless you can do the volume that Gitzo does.

Ha Im all for it! Lets do it! That being said you are probably very right that K-Tek and others are just buying ready made CF tubing and using that as its Id imagine much cheaper.

I received an e-mail from someone (don't know if it was from you) a while back asking about this, and I did send a reply. Without going into a long and detailed explanation on the intricacies of boom pole manufacturing, I'll say that we are exploring this idea, but we have new products we are working on for NAB and we need to concentrate on those right now. We will explore this issue soon.

I received an e-mail from someone (don't know if it was from you) a while back asking about this, and I did send a reply. Without going into a long and detailed explanation on the intricacies of boom pole manufacturing, I'll say that we are exploring this idea, but we have new products we are working on for NAB and we need to concentrate on those right now. We will explore this issue soon.

Gotcha. And makes sense if K-Tek is working on other stuff right now. Its also good that the company is looking to add the functionality as its much needed IMO. What does suck though is that Ive already made my $700 investment. lol Ah well, hopefully I can resell it and recover a good amount of the cost to help cover an upgraded version. We shall see.

Argh I agree this would be great! Especially for straight cabled poles. Unfortunately I own two kteks and an ambient. All of them are great and I don't feel the need for another yet. Please hold off on this feature until I feel like I want another one:) next year maybe?

• 1 month later...

Just adding another vote for this. I'd happily pay more for a boom pole with this feature.

Just adding another vote for this. I'd happily pay more for a boom pole with this feature.

Eeeeeek! MORE? Id say it should be a standard feature and shouldnt be charged extra for. Nearly every CF tripod on the market now days has anti twist legs in it, even the cheap knock offs. I think re-buying the $700 and $350 K-Tek boom poles I already bought would be paying extra enough!

I see your point, but that is tantamount to saying, "No upgraded, more advanced product should ever cost more because I already own the old one that is less advanced." If the product is better, I'm happy to pay a bit more. And to develop something as 'simple' as a groove for anti-twist in a boom pole will require R&D from K-Tek, which costs them time, which equals money. It's tempting to say that the technology or design exists, but not for this specific purpose, and testing to make sure it translates to our field will cost K-Tek time and money, which they must recoup in order to remain profitable.

I'd love it if K-Tek could add that features and still remain profitable with their current pricing model! But I'm also willing to pay more if they can't.

Bring on the best products you can K-Tek!

8)