Who's the BEST looking sound mixer in our group?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now for a complete off topic post:

This thread brings up an interesting issue with more serious ramifications. Why are all these offerings men? Where are the women? And I don't mean this is a sexist sense. I think, sadly, that our sound profession, seems to concentrate on males. I know several very competent sound women who look way better than the "train wrecks" that have been proposed here for "best looking". And those women really know what they are doing in the sound profession. Seriously, the sound women that I have worked with in the past have been wonderful additions to any crew, which for me is mostly documentary style. They have all been totally excellent in their knowledge of equipment and work flow, and, more importantly, they have superior people skills that are sadly lacking in many of my male compatriots. I would love to see more women contribute to this site. I hope that any of you who constantly bombard this site with various opinions will try and get some of your fellow sound women to post on this wonderful site.

Ciao, Sully

And now for a complete off topic post:

This thread brings up an interesting issue with more serious ramifications. Why are all these offerings men? Where are the women? And I don't mean this is a sexist sense. I think, sadly, that our sound profession, seems to concentrate on males. I know several very competent sound women who look way better than the "train wrecks" that have been proposed here for "best looking". And those women really know what they are doing in the sound profession. Seriously, the sound women that I have worked with in the past have been wonderful additions to any crew, which for me is mostly documentary style. They have all been totally excellent in their knowledge of equipment and work flow, and, more importantly, they have superior people skills that are sadly lacking in many of my male compatriots. I would love to see more women contribute to this site. I hope that any of you who constantly bombard this site with various opinions will try and get some of your fellow sound women to post on this wonderful site.

Ciao, Sully

I'm curious what you mean by, "I think, sadly, that our sound profession, seems to concentrate on males."

The few females we do have here, from beginner to well-established, have experienced the same acceptance as their male counterparts. I speak from my perspective, of course, so I hope the women here step forward and either verify or deny this assertion.

I think what's actually at play is the reverse of your above statement -- males seem more drawn to this profession (it's a "geek" thing) than do the fairer gender. Personally, I consider "geek" a positive trait and I love female geeks.

No offense meant, but to me your comments -- while, no doubt, well meaning -- do come off as a bit sexist. Saying that, "Seriously, the sound women that I have worked with in the past have been wonderful additions to any crew" has an underlying patronizing tone to it. When I work with another crew person, I care how competent they are and how well they work with the rest of the crew. I see no advantage to calling attention to their gender which only seems to say, "they're really good even though they're a woman."

As one of the many, "who constantly bombard this site with various opinions" I would love to see more female sound geeks do the same. All are welcome regardless of gender.