Wireless TC?

JDirckze

Sorry if this is a dumb question, Im still new to the industry...

Looking for a way of transferring TC from camera (Digibeta or similar) to recording device (SD744T or DA-88) wirelessly. Not sure if I am able to do this via normal radio kits or not?

Cheers,

Jason

jason,

check out the sennhieser G2 system. light and freuqency agile, the tx & rcvr are the same small compact size.

you have the tx tc out of the camera and have the rcvr at the 744t,

set the recorder to auto record. and when the camera is put into record the 744t is set into record mode as well via the G2 wireless.

hoped that helped a little.

jason,

check out the sennhieser G2 system. light and freuqency agile, the tx & rcvr are the same small compact size.

(forgot to mention $500.00 is a good choice for this system) saving the more expensive (2500-4000) wireless for talent

you have the tx tc out of the camera and have the rcvr at the 744t,

set the recorder to auto record. and when the camera is put into record the 744t is set into record mode as well via the G2 wireless.

hoped that helped a little.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, Im still new to the industry...

Looking for a way of transferring TC from camera (Digibeta or similar) to recording device (SD744T or DA-88) wirelessly. Not sure if I am able to do this via normal radio kits or not?

Cheers,

Jason

Any wireless will do.  I use an old Lectro 185 for this and it works great.

Philip Perkins

I preffer teh BlackBoxVideo TC link. Bigger than the G2 but battery will last much much more.

G2 is about 6 hours, BBV with a Lithium 9V lasts about 60 hours, about 30h with alkaline 9V

It has a receiving LED and a power LED and it's very rugged.

Comteks also work well for this, and have a good battery life, so you won't have to go near the camera operator ;)

Ahh...Camera operators arent that bad really, or maybe I've just had a string of good luck?

Im doing a "Mythbusters" style show over in SF in a month or so, and need to come up with a solution for our big "pay off" shoots, where there are up to 7 talent on screen, with 2 cameras. I was sent over there last time with only 2 wireless, which was interesting. Im considering using my Mackie 1402VLZ and getting a DA-88 so all talent will be ISO'd, and sending reference mixes to both cameras, but needed to sort out the Sync/TC issue, as the camera operators were buttoning off after we'd done a sync clap.

Ahh...Camera operators arent that bad really, or maybe I've just had a string of good luck?

Im doing a "Mythbusters" style show over in SF in a month or so, and need to come up with a solution for our big "pay off" shoots, where there are up to 7 talent on screen, with 2 cameras. I was sent over there last time with only 2 wireless, which was interesting. Im considering using my Mackie 1402VLZ and getting a DA-88 so all talent will be ISO'd, and sending reference mixes to both cameras, but needed to sort out the Sync/TC issue, as the camera operators were buttoning off after we'd done a sync clap.

From what Claudia and Alison (two regular soundies on Mythbusters) have told me it seems like sort of a fast moving show for a cartish sort of setup using a Mackie and a DA88 (AC only, both).....  If there are two cameras they'll have to jamsync to each other in freerun anyhow, so you could jam your TC own gen to them as well.  (Denecke SB2 is fine, or a Sound Devices recorder.) The Lockits/Deneckes are the most precise way to go, but if your post people can deal w/ a little slip and you are careful to rejam often you can get away with the onboard TC gens on the cameras.  (W/ Lockit it would be once a day only.....)

Philip Perkins

Crikey, you guys probably dont realize but most of what you said there just went straight over my head... I have alot to learn it seems.

I have been in touch with one of the regular soundo's on MB, he sent an email the other day with a couple of suggestions. The day to day runnings of the show will be fairly standard, up to 4 wireless mics + boom with each crew, all in a bag, it's only on the days where we are shooting a big event, with all crew + guests in the one spot where things got complicated last time.

The other soundo and myself split up the talent between us, but both camera operators were covering everyone and everything, so often times we found ourselves in situations where I didnt have a wireless on the talent we were covering, and we were on a wide so the boom was useless (big arena style finale, lots of crowd, noise etc) So the editors were complaining of "fishbowling"

I guess a bit more planning wouldnt have gone amiss... but in the heat of the moment, the operators were just trying to get as much coverage as they could.

I guess coming up with a solution that doesnt involve the production spending more money would be the best one. More time in pre production planning.

The 2 cameras were just using a sync clap, time of day wasnt used for some reason, request by the editors maybe.

The next part of the shoot (4 months!) is going to be a long one. They arent using the camera ops that they used last time, nor the same (other) soundo. Should be interesting. I know the cameraman thats going to Mythbusters in a couple weeks, so hopefully be able to pick his brain whilst I am there.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Jason,

Sounds to me like you've got a number of issues on this project from lack of planning by the producers, to a lack of understanding of the audio limitations by the camera ops.

As far as time code sync, I'm sure you understand that the two cameras and the audio recorder need to be in sync. One way of doing this is to assign the audio recorder as the master TC generator, using wireless links to each camera (one transmitter, two receivers), and slaving them to your master. Then it doesn't much matter if or when they start or stop, as long as the audio recorder rolls continuously.

For audio, I'd recommend a mic transmitter on each talent plus booms & guests. Audio from the receivers go direct to DA-88 tracks. Out of the DA88 to the mixer for monitoring and wireless audio camera links for guide tracks.

By my count, you're looking at 14 transmitters. Frequency coordination will be extremely important to avoid them interfering with each other (intermodulation distortion).

Since this is an ongoing show, and they do this on a regular basis, how much of the gear does the prod'n company own? If they own the wireless, I would suggest that this is a perfect application for (wait for it......) a new Zaxcom recording /wireless system! No frequency coordination, stereo transmit to the cameras, record iso tracks inside each transmitter, no time code sync issues, Snap! A no brainer!

Thanks for the reply Marty,

I dont know alot about the Zaxcom systems, but I have heard that there is a delay introduced which worries me. I know that monitor return would be a bonus, but I still feel more comfortable using Lectro's as a camera hop. Can you shed any light on the zaxcom systems for me? I've also been looking at the Ricsonix Camlynx

The show has just been completely overhauled now it seems. There will only be 1 primary crew, with a second crew when needed, which means for me I get to be camera assistant for the first crew. Yawn... label tapes and change batteries, as there are kino's mounted on walls and above in the workshop.

The production company still uses freelancers for the most part, so buying kit is not really an option.

Jason, my experience with this situation is for the normal days to just mix to camera and as you said, spit the talent between the two cameras. This is assuming that the normal low budget.  If the money is there to add a 744t to the bag to iso the wires as well as send mix to camera wireless, than all the better.  Add the lockit boxes and jam the whole system with a master clock.

For the finale I feel that a Deva V in a bag setup with wireless RX for each talent will take care of the iso's along with a wireless boom to cover strays.  The lockit's still apply and again jamming the whole setup with the master clock.  I you have more soundies for that scene than have them mix reality style to lens for backup.

Rob