Red Epic Unbalanced Input "revisited" ERX1TCD Y Cable

RadoStefanov

I am making 2 Y cables for Epic from ERX1tcd. Lemo 4 pin tc goes to the Tip.

I want to send the Ring to the Epic 3.5 Left or right audio input at line level.

There is a lot of conflicting information and plenty of troublesome reports from the field.

Some people say you need the A-BOX from woodencamera.com or the epic will not record sound.

What would be the correct wiring for the 3.5 red audio input?

And also will the TC bleed in to the audio when they both share ground?

Senator's hat not an option since my shoot is early morning on Monday.

I insisted on a test run on Sunday which might happen but still would like to have the cables ready.

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Eric,

As always you are MVP...

The 3.5mm audio inputs are mic level and unbalanced. If your using an XLR to 3.5mm TRS or TS then you connect the shield to pins 1 & 3 in the XLR and the positive to pin 2. In the 3.5 end it's positive to the tip & ground/shield to the sleeve.

Eric

if i'm not mistaken, you'll need to pad the line to the 1/8" as the erx spits out a hot signal

if i'm not mistaken, you'll need to pad the line to the 1/8" as the erx spits out a hot signal

If that's the case a 150 ohm resistor in series with pin 2 in the XLR should pad down the signal. OTOH if you can't test the resistor mod before using it on the job then don't do it as you can't change it OTJ.

Eric

I stand corrected. FFJ is correct. The mic level inputs are balanced (very strange on a 3.5mm trs). Why an unbalanced connection wont work there is stranger still. Unbalanced connections into balanced inputs have always worked in the past ala Senn G2/3 rx out into balanced XLR mixer mic inputs.

Eric

Correction to the above:

The Hosa diagram is wrong for an unbalanced connection. There is NO connection to the ring only the tip & sleeve.

It is worth noting that the top cable configuration shown in the illustration James has provided is not an unbalanced input cable, it's a stereo to mono summing adapter. From what I've read on the Red users group so far, it seems most Red owners are unable to understand that the ends on cables aren't all wired the same way so you can't order an adaptor based solely on the plugs it has.

For what it's worth I've also read some posts regarding using the SD Pix 240 with various Red products where Red owners are asking Red to make software modifications in the Pix to suit their needs as if it was designed and manufactured by Red.

Best regards,

Jim

Can anyone who has worked with epic confirm if diagram above is actually correct. I am going to be feeding a epic via comtek next week and it makes no sense to me why I'd need to wired a cable from an unbalanced device stereo then sum it in order for it to work

Can anyone who has worked with epic confirm if diagram above is actually correct. I am going to be feeding a epic via comtek next week and it makes no sense to me why I'd need to wired a cable from an unbalanced device stereo then sum it in order for it to work

Ignore the word stereo in this context. To the poster on the Red user group, a mini TRS connector HAS to be a stereo connection because it's what is on his earbuds and they are stereo. Also note that the illustration James posted says explicitly that the top wiring configuration, the stereo summing cable, won't work with the Epic. The lower configuration, mini tip to XLR pin 2, mini ring to XLR pin 3, mini sleeve to XLR pin 1, will.

Red is using a mini TRS connector as a balanced mic connection, tip is +, ring is -, sleeve is ground. A cable wired with this in mind should work to get signal into the Red. Presumably you'll want a cable with a mini TS on one end and a mini TRS on the other wired tip to tip and sleeve to ring and sleeve. In theory, a mini TS to mini TS cable should work fine. The Epic audio inputs must be selected for either balance or unbalanced use in the setup menu. I'm going to do some testing tomorrow or Monday if I can get to a camera.

Best regards,

Jim

The test run was fine.

The wiring off the ERX1TCD was good.

Y cable 3.5 going to 3.5 "for scratch track and lemo 4 fr time code.

I used 2V time code by Tom Visser on right output and scratch to left.

The time code was bleeding a little in the scratch track but has nothing to do with my wiring.

It comes from the red. I tried 1 ERX1TCD for time code only and another ERX1TCD for scratch only and there was still bleeding.

The ERX1TCD is a great device for this application.

Too be continued:

I'd guess Tom suggested this setting (in the ERX Menus) in another Red topic ...?

On the ERX you can assign the outputs for TC and audio on either channel you want. In fact the audio passes through both channels then you assign TC on the channel you wish it to output ( the audio then remains on the other channel kind of "by default" unless you shut it off, also through the menus).

So since he made that cable (and knows what pin orders he used), he had to be sure he sent the right thing on the right channel to avoid sending TC into the 1/8 conn. on the RED while sending audio into the lemo... my guess again :)

... which leads me to a question for Rado: what's your pin order in the end for it to work ?