Delay to Comteks

Phil Palmer

This topic was just posted over on RAMPS, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while.  When shooting HD and in a studio environment, it's somewhat regular practice to use a delay unit for IFB to director/script and the village.  My set up is more a rough and tumble location show, that just happens to shoot with F900's.  Last year we went through 18 camera bodies (that I know of) over an 8 month period.  We brake 'em, they send out a new one.  Crazy...

Back on subject.  There is a slight delay to our monitors at video village due to the down-converters.  Our video village has at least 2 monitors going, sometimes 3, with different down-converters on each monitor.  Last year A camera was a bit faster than B camera.  I'm thinking about adding a delay in my signal path to my Comteks so tighten up the visual sync at the directors monitors.  Anyone using a DC powered delay unit?  Thanks in advance!

~PWP

Anyone using a DC powered delay unit?  Thanks in advance!

~PWP

Wolf Seeburg recommended and used a product from Behringer called the Shark. It is a multipurpose DSP device which you can configure to introduce delay (commonly used when setting up P.A. systems). I think it is DC powerable from an external source (but does not take an internal battery) and is really inexpensive. It is possible that the external power is low voltage AC (not DC) as some of the Behringer products are.

you can look into it here:  < http://www.behringer.com/DSP110/index.cfm?lang=eng >

Can you have the camera send the audio to video Village? This will match your picture since all the information will travel thru the dc. you should be able to pull the audio out of the DC box.

This is a complete double system set up.  There is no audio going to the camera systems, nor do I want there to be.  The sound is matched to picture in Telecine.  The sound through the down-converter back to the Comtek system is not a convenient way to solve this.  Good idea though.  I think our DC's were picture only anyway.

Would something like this work?

This would probably work just fine.  12 volt supply is convenient.  Not a big fan of the terminal block connectors, but I've rigged them before with pigtails.  They seem to be discontinued by Kramer, but there is a pile of them on ebay for $476 or so.

Good find, thanks.

Still like the Shark if we can easily modify it for 12 volts.

~PWP

This topic was just posted over on RAMPS, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while.  When shooting HD and in a studio environment, it's somewhat regular practice to use a delay unit for IFB to director/script and the village.  My set up is more a rough and tumble location show, that just happens to shoot with F900's.  Last year we went through 18 camera bodies (that I know of) over an 8 month period.  We brake 'em, they send out a new one.  Crazy...

Back on subject.  There is a slight delay to our monitors at video village due to the down-converters.  Our video village has at least 2 monitors going, sometimes 3, with different down-converters on each monitor.  Last year A camera was a bit faster than B camera.  I'm thinking about adding a delay in my signal path to my Comteks so tighten up the visual sync at the directors monitors.  Anyone using a DC powered delay unit?  Thanks in advance!

~PWP

Hi

Get the Shark great piece of kit for toolbox used it first on Harry Potter 4 doing some green screen for 1st AD PA it has a antifeed back which learns the howl round freq's and keeps in memory plus gates,compression, and cheap

Don

Can the Behringer Shark be used with 12VDC? The spec sheet on the Behringer website claims 120VAC, but I suspect this is just a bad translation from the German manufacturer (who actually imports the product from China).

I hate buying Behringer because their consoles are junk (in my experience), but they do have one or two decent products that fill a niche. One of them is their digital Ultramatch, which I've used to correct and re-clock flakey AES/EBU or S/PDIF audio signals, and it's been a champ.

Phil,

I just bought a Shark last week. Turns out we don't need it on this feature but I'm gonna keep it around for my next show.  I did a pilot a few months ago and had a bad delay to the comteks.  I bought a Boss DD-20 guitar stomp box from Guitar Center. It's about $220. It runs on 6 AA batteries and you can dial a delay up to 23 seconds.  We ended up using a 55ms delay and it worked great.  I would give that a try.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_boss_dd20_giga_delay?full_sku=102080140

Jon Ailetcher