suggestion for new section - How was it done?

When watching TV I usually can more or less tell how the sound of a certain scene was done, be it boomed, lavs or ADR. But from time to time I watch a scene where I have no idea how they could have gotten the sound they did, so I wonder "how did that sound person pull it off?"

I remember that probably the thread that I learned the most from on jwsound was the Classic Perspective thread in which (among much more) I think Jeff described how the sound of those long walks in Woody Allen's Manhattan was achieved.

So I thought it would be great to have an entire section on jwsoundgroup where people post scenes from an episode or movie they watched which hey're curious about how they were recorded. Since there are many experienced mixers on this forum maybe some would speculate on how it was done, or perhaps even the mixer of that scene or someone who knows him/her could give some insight. I think that would be a very interesting section and great for learning about the tricks of the game.

Good idea, Christian, but I am not so sure I would want to have a special dedicated section for just this topic. It is always difficult to decide just how many sections or categories we should have here. After things have been going for awhile, it is often revealed that a special section might have been a good idea (for example, the "Who I Am Today..." could easily have been its own section, expanding the "Member Directory", which doesn't really get used very much, stuff like that). For now, I would encourage anyone who is so inclined, to post descriptions or video of scenes of interest --- comments and replies will follow and we'll see how it goes. It would be fine to start with these posts in "General Discussions" I imagine.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Good idea, Christian, but I am not so sure I would want to have a special dedicated section for just this topic. It is always difficult to decide just how many sections or categories we should have here.

I wonder if War Stories might be a good title for a section like this, just to swap info on challenging projects from our past. I can think of a few I could tell, only because the statute of limitations has passed...

" not being able to tell if it's ADR would mean either it's extremely well done ADR or it is no ADR. "

well, maybe, butr it depends...

especially since there is actually a lot of extremely well done ADR + Foley + SFX out there...

remember, SFX is not just about the big stuff...