How to Spot a Rookie at 100 Paces

Jan McL

"The picture editor can already see the slate on the image; the assistant editor can hear the sound mixer's audible slate prior to the scene. "

The shoot I've been on the audible slate is done by the AC. I know this is a bit of topic, but who is used to the Mixer slating and who is used to the AC doing it?

I do an audible slate for every take before I say "speed". Must be a holdover from my analog days with a Nagra. It may not help but it can't hurt.

Eric

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixer who rode in a car's trunk, when the actor driving just got her license two days ago.

No process trailer and the director wants a moving in car scene. The mixer had a 1973 VW bus that we had to chase a Cadillac with, I'm driving. This was at a University where we had permission to shoot exteriors in a limited area, driving was not part of it. Had to drive through a boulevard area where profs were playing volley ball. Director insisted on going well over the speed limit, so to keep signal I had to go like hell, 2nd pass through a volleyball comes sailing out and lands under the drivers side wheel, that spits it 50 feet. Third pass through the profs get in front of the VW and give me an earful.

I will never follow with my own vehicle, as if someone does get hurt or killed, it is on me not on the production. Nowadays I set up a feed to camera, put a Comtek TX on the camera, boom op rides in the make up, hair van with script. (safer)

" It should be required to say the full scene and take! . " vs. " "Marker" is all they need to say, unless it's multi-cam, "

as noted, it depends! thus it is not necessarily up to us to decide what is required!

" habit of saying the entire scene & take number, "

A lot of folks doing sound on a lot of projects, particularly one-person bands do not have the capability to readily "voice slate".

" Now, even with digital cameras, it makes sense to avoid using up 15 seconds of data files at the start of the take. "

after all, there is so much other crap to waste the data on! ::)

" Using a coiled cable. ;D "

sorry, but that is a personal choice, not the sign of a rookie!

the wrapping up of a coiled headphone cord is the sign of an audio rookie, and " grabbing the pole, putting the mic right up to their mug like its a beta 58 and saying something stupid into it " is the sign of a general rookie, also an a-hole!

" single-system projects where the sound is going direct to camera. But most of those are documentaries, "

unfortunately, I don't believe that is the situation..

AC reads the slate for me too, for a couple reasons that I think are just as valid now, as the mixer doing it to save film in the film days:

1. The AC knows exactly which scene / take it is. I know this sounds silly, that the mixer should always know which scene and take, because they have a script or the scripty is telling them whenever we move on, what we are moving on to... Or that the mixer has seen an accurate shot plan for the day.

I have to stop with that first reason now, I'm laughing too hard about all the things that I don't get on ultra-low budget shoots. The times when I have had ANY of those things, it has been a very pleasant surprise.

2. The AC is right in front of the camera (obviously) and also nearby the boom or an actor's mic, while my sound cart might be on the other side of a wall / door / outside because we are filming in yet another closet. Yes, I have a slate mic that I can use on my mixer... But see the list on reason one of things I don't have.

3. I will do my best to keep the file names correct as to scene / take according to what is on the slate, but since I might not know what it has on it at any given moment... If my digital names get out of sync to what I hear from the AC's mouth... I can just rename it right after that take, nothing confusing will arrive at post, and no extra film / space was wasted having them fix it at the slate. I'll catch it, then confirm where we are with both the scripty and slate, b/c it might not be me that is out of sequence - I had that happen on just this last shoot. The AC jumped a take number, and both scripty and I adjusted our notes b/c it wasn't caught until she said it into the camera.

4. The biggest reason: Digital space is cheap, time in post isn't. Let the AC who has the info read the dang thing, it will make life easier on the post people, especially if the mixer didn't get the file renamed properly.

This is usually the producers from my experience..... they love to believe their $H!t doesn't stink or something, and my mics aren't good enough to pick up their noisy keyboarding during their precious interviews we spent 3 hours setting up.

Oh man, I worked with an... overweight... AD in a 100 year old house with creaky floors that could not stop moving. He would pace during scenes (even where actors are seated) and constantly check his cell phone. Infuriating. Needless to say, he was 0 help to my department. He was BFF with production, so we hit a wall when trying to get it to stop. What can you do.

In my experience, AC's don't always know what the proper scene and take info is... on a properly functioning set, the Script Sup. usually provides that info to the necessary departments, and if things happen as they should, everything matches up -- AC's occasionally don't get the memo, or simply forget to replace the info on the slate. It helps for everyone to be vigilant in this respect, but I will always provide an audible scene/take # at the head of each file just in case -- and if there's a discrepancy, there's usually time to key up the slate mic and document it before the director calls action -- thorough sound reports help too.

~tt

" the scripty is telling them whenever we move on, what we are moving on to..."

assuming there is a SS, as even the poster noted...

" Or that the mixer has seen an accurate shot plan for the day. "

I don't believe that either exists (there are always some variables) or would provide that information (like take numbers?)

Nope. Did a shoot just last week. Had the info that doesn't change written with sharpie and it was on tree for 3 days straight, no staining.

yeah, there was a thread about this a while back. We tried it on a film for info like film name, director etc that didn't change. Camera may have cleaned it once a week, or may have left it for the whole shoot (4 weeks). Either way they got the sharpie off at the end. NOTE! if you try this, use the traditional sharpie and NOT the industrial permanent ones

" the scripty is telling them whenever we move on, what we are moving on to..."

assuming there is a SS, as even the poster noted...

" Or that the mixer has seen an accurate shot plan for the day. "

I don't believe that either exists (there are always some variables) or would provide that information (like take numbers?)

Ya... im a total noob if this is the case. Maybe if I got to work on a production that has a real budget to develop an accurate shot list I wouldn't have to ask anyone wtf is up next. When things always change at the lower budget level productions you just have to ask, or you end up having everyone waiting on you (which is a bigger sign of a noob IMO).

We were in a private home with a big heavy dolly, noticed that as the dolly moved the floor would move up and down. Looked in the basement and some idiot had removed a main support beam at the bottom of the stairs, dolly then did the perimeter of the room only.

Doing a survey for another mixer, went into a house and saw a carpenter laying 3 inch tongue and groove wood flooring. No big deal but he was laying it on top of 1/2 inch carpet. Slightly noisy, and it moved around a lot. Director shows up and says " oh we won't be seeing the floor".

I'm rude enough that when the director yells cut, I'll yell back "we got some set noise on that one" and glare at whoever was moving. Sharp ADs usually stay right on top of this, but on no-frills shoots, it's a free-for-all.

I do this too. :D Its super annoying and in the end, no matter how big a fuss I make or who I piss off, I'm right.

Shooting and I hear a continuing noise, that I ask to be shut down, turns out it is the producers roof top trailer air conditioner and the PA's were too shy to get him to turn it off. Of course only found that out after the scene. We were shooting on the second floor and his trailer was next to the building. It was also a western so it would have been hard to mask.

Another one is not actually being asked to roll sound...

Good Lord, this drives me insane. I have a 10 second pre-roll for a reason, but I shouldn't need it because the AD is asleep at their job!

How about rolling a rehearsal without any slate, because the actors are "nervous" and this way they won't know its an actual take? I've had that happen on 2 different projects now... I can only imagine that sync for those shots was fun for post...