TC distribution.

Bartek

Hello,

I just wrapped a show for sony, and I had a question with regard to the propper procedure for TC distribution.

The requested setup:

Jam a master Denecke sb2a from the Deva  (free run)

connect the Master sb2a to a passive distribution box (mult)

send TC back to the deva (cont jam all)

send TC to backup recorder (744T)

jam the slate from the distro.

jam consecutive sb2a's from the distro, attach them to cameras and send TC to an audio channel.

As far as I understand it (please correct me if Im wrong here) so long as I use the same sb2a (master) to jam the slate and any other sb2a's I should be fine, right. What exactly does te distro achieve??

Could I also use a lemo to XLR M and XLR F wired for tc in and out, to loop out of the master sb2a and into my primary recorder and into backup, or is there a very specific reason why sony likes to send two separate but identical TC lines to the recorders?

Bartek

This was requested by sony. Does a loop through have any flaws?

Your set up is the same as mine, though I'm not on Sony show.  I have had interesting weirdness, frame offsets and the like when doing loop through.  There can be some "re-shaping" going on, though it is supposed to be a loop through.

When going with the distribution method, I've encountered no problems.  It also gives me the confidence when powering up or down anything...that the master clock stays on all day at the top of the chain.

~PWP

I recently used a Denecke GR-1 master clock for a project, using it for a TC source for a Fostex DV-40 and a PD4 backup, and just used a Y-splitter out of the box. There's only 3dB loss using this method (no DA), and that's not enough to cause any meaningful difference for a TC signal.

When I needed to jam the TS3 slate, I just momentarily unplugged the PD4, gave a burst to the slate, verified it was OK, and restored the connection. Worked fine, and had 0-frame offset for the entire shoot between the DAT and the DVD-RAM.

Because the GR-1 and the newer Denecke slates all use the same TCXO crystal, they're very stable. But if I had to feed four devices simultaneously, I'd use an audio DA, like one of the little 12V Burst ADA-4's (or a similar device). I agree with Phil that you never know when you go through a loop-through if something funny is going on. Reshaping TC shouldn't be necessary if you're coming from an original TC source (as opposed to tape).