QRX100 External Power solution

JDirckze

Thanks Jack, are these from Mingston actually a perfect fit? I remember reading that the Zaxcom gear is pretty finicky regarding length of the plug. Hence the need for two different connectors for the receivers and the STA. Even though they're just a mm or two different

That looks awesome Greg. Nice find...

Edit: Just checked out the prices... wow. over $600 for their charger.

Yeah there gear is pricey, but looks real good. Their mono charger is about $355AU and they have a smart charger for about

$150AU. I guess it depends on how often you will need to use it.

Have a look at Hawk Woods Hot Bloc adapters you might be able to use your swit batts with them.

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/hot_shoe_system/hot_bloc_adaptors/hot_bloc_adaptors.php?mainMenuItemToSlide=7

Greg.

2.5 hours or so with alkaline? More with hi cap rechargeables and even more with lithiums. Just a guess. I can get 6+ when using 12 Eneloop XX. Then there is always lectro's version that uses 2 9V. I just personally have decided to stop using gear that uses 9V.

• 8 months later...

Bringing this thread back... anyone have any new ideas? I was wondering about using these:

https://www.globalme...5WH-with-D-Tap/

The smaller version of what some people use to power their bag (*Cough* Justan *COUGH*).

Pro side: battery level indicator, can be dropped into a 2 bay charger, relatively cheap. 2 batteries and a charger for $293 seems pretty good for a pre-built solution.

Dimensions (W x L x H) : 42 x 70 x 95 mm (1.65 x 2.76 x 3.74 in)

Weight : approximately 415 g (0.91 lbs)

4400mAh (that's about the charge in a full sized Li-Ion NP-1)

I've been doing some work with mid sized cameras. They have been mounting the RXs on the shoulder support. They do that with an SR or 2x411s, and the camera ops are fine with it all. In that situation, these GMP batteries sound pretty decent.

My bigger issue with the AllBattery stuff is that the chargers are not made for what we do, so they require a lot of setup and there is no sort of 2 or 4 bay setup.

That should work fine as would the original Sony BP-U style batteries with a sled. QRX doesn't like to drop down much below 12V depending on the battery chemistry and seems to be happier at something like the higher voltage of the EX style batteries, like you link to. By the way, those little plastic AA cases in this thread, they are pieces of S$%t. I think that a typical C-300 operator would want to put rails on and a V-mount solution that you can tap off of, though. You can place your hops and the battery in a more balanced configuration for the poor guy, rather than putting it on that stupid handle accessory. Everyone will be happier.

A few months ago I was in the same boat; looking for a compact powering solution for the QRX. I ended up ruling out the Sony style L-Series 7volt batteries because of the voltage issues. Also, I wanted to avoid having to introduce a regulator into the situation.

For a long time I pursued 'making' my own pack using a Li-Ion or Li-Poly pack made by Tenergy (pre-made packs and chargers sold on http://www.all-batte...tterypacks.aspx )

I ended up ruling this out as well for a number of mechanical and cable construction reasons, but I still feel like it would be a viable option if you can come up with a more robust housing. I may revisit it later.

Ultimately I sourced some small Chinese-made Li-Po battery packs from a vendor in Michigan. Could not find anything USA-made that was equivalent. They are 12VDC, supposedly 4800mAH, about the size of a cigarette pack and each includes its own wall-wart charger. They include a standard 2.1mm coax connector for equipment connection and charging and has an on/off switch and LED indicator. The vendor stocks them for use with CCTV camera systems and other portable recording/surveillance gear which he also sells.

So far they have been working perfectly for me, they're the right size, weight, and have been powering my QRX in single receive mode all day long with a little help from the camera op turning the unit on and off when not in use. I have not run them through any marathon 14 hr days or extensive run tests, but I did buy four of these and it's easy to carry around a spare in the bag.

I've attached a few pics for those interested. The weight is low enough to allow for reliable velcro attachment to whatever surface is available.

Contact info for the vendor I bought from:

Dennis Gramza, qualityvideocameras@gmail.com, (616)205-5440

"Quality Video Components, INC" in Sparta Michigan. He sells online via an eBay store and an e-commerce website.

post-821-0-00432300-1331150548.jpgpost-821-0-02469700-1331150563.jpgpost-821-0-63124100-1331150568.jpg

i went with this system as well. it's okay but not 100% reliable. i had one die then slowly start expanding with an ominous hissing sound... also no level indicator so you have to be organized. I'v had them die an hour after putting them on cam but that was in hectic situations so maybe i switched charged/discharged batteries... but i'm normally very organized so i blame the battery :)

i've done some tests recording to protools until the battery runs out and the runtimes are quite different depending on the individual battery. one went for 7hours, another only for 4!!

but it is an affordable solution and i only need it for the lower budget days. I have three of them and I switch out at lunch to be sure.

If I was buying again I'd probably go for the BP-U because it's reliable and easy to find.

Holy heck, ordering from the USA ends up adding $100 to this bundle. Shipping to Pennsylvania is $69 and my bank charges $40 for international wire transfers. My bank also told me it could take 10 business days for my money "to be delivered" (deposited I guess). There are other version of these batteries, but I am not sure about the charger. B&H sells an iKan version, and a distributer in NJ sells some on Ebay that are about $100 and have a built-in on/off switch and a LCD power indicator. They lack the D-Tap, but still have the built-in DC plug on a short cable.

I don't know much about these batteries, so I'll keep researching. They do seem like a viable option though.

Worked with C300 couple of times...Really difficult to talk to the cameraman, while I am holding my small brick (QRX100) and trying to find a place to put it on with an external battery attached on the QRX.

However, there were for occasions on the C300 shoot, cameraman extended his rig and using a Vlock battery powering his camera. That might be a good chance to mount.

I normally talk to the post guys straight to get permission to only send a reference audio (G3 wireless) to the camera... then will sync in the post.

Good luck on that!