okay, so whats the deal with Louisiana?

LA, NM, OR... all hot... all completely saturated with people looking for work... it's still who you know to a large degree... too much $ on the line to be any other way. It's a war of attrition, and even when you finally get somewhere comfortable, there's no guarantee you'll be staying there. Network, network, network...

~tt

This one is easy. "What's up", is that (unless a specific backdrop is needed) producers go where the best tax incentives are. I know that NYC has about 16 pilots going right now. Of those, I'll bet you that maybe... 1?... shoots here if/when it gets picked up. I know for a fact that the one I'm currently doing plans to move to LA.

Another big factor is actor availability. Some actors would rather stay close to home than live in Spokane for the run of a feature/series. No offense to Spokane.

This one is easy. "What's up", is that (unless a specific backdrop is needed) producers go where the best tax incentives are. I know that NYC has about 16 pilots going right now. Of those, I'll bet you that maybe... 1?... shoots here if/when it gets picked up. I know for a fact that the one I'm currently doing plans to move to LA.

Another big factor is actor availability. Some actors would rather stay close to home than live in Spokane for the run of a feature/series. No offense to Spokane.

I often jokingly call it "Spokan't" for that very reason... have been lucky to have a lot of feature work here in the past (usually tier 1, some tier 2) but with the WA St. Film Incentive on the chopping block, the writing's definitely on the wall, and I may wind up being more "nomadic" than I'd prefer -- knew the job was dangerous when I took it though...

What is "hot" today in the minds of the Producer may well be cold as a corpse at anytime. It is not up to us and the trend I'm seeing here, with people willing to be homeless while chasing the jobs, is truly sad.

I prefer to think of it as "away from home"...still have a home, and honestly, what does it matter when you're working 12 to 16 hrs. a day? You leave for work when your family is asleep, you get home when your family's asleep... If I have to spend 2 months in Louisiana, so be it -- better than spending those same 2 months waiting for the phone to ring.

~tt

It seems to be where the tax incentives are unless it's a project that calls for specific locations, and even then sometimes those can be faked. Your movie takes place in Chicago? Have and establishing shot of the El taken from stock footage and then shoot on a stage somewhere else. They did that with My Big Fat Greek Wedding....only the used the wrong skyline.

Who could forget "The Rumble in The Bronx" with Jackie Chan running around the streets of New York with the mountains of Vancouver poking up all around?

Diablo Cody's directorial debut was to shoot in Las Vegas, as scripted, but rewritten for New Orleans. One sin city subbed for the other.