Fostex FR2 Recorder and ARRI Alexa workflow

tong

Hi, might lend myself a small gig that involves shooting with the Alexa. From what I heard from many, it is a double-system workflow shooting with it. Since the budget does not justify in investing myself with a Nomad, I'm just wondering if the Fostex FR2 with Timecode option will be able to work with Alexa, timecode compatiability wise.

Much advise is needed. Thanks a lot!

" I'm just wondering if the Fostex FR2 with Timecode option will be able to work with Alexa, timecode compatiability wise. "

yes, of course.

OTOH, the audio on the Alexa is about the best of any camera and more than up to the job. So you could bypass the Fostex and just feed the camera if that works for this project.

Eric

Hi, might lend myself a small gig that involves shooting with the Alexa. From what I heard from many, it is a double-system workflow shooting with it. Since the budget does not justify in investing myself with a Nomad, I'm just wondering if the Fostex FR2 with Timecode option will be able to work with Alexa, timecode compatiability wise.

Yes, that can work. You could jam the camera from the FR2, maybe every so often (twice a day, more if the camera crashes or reboots). I've had good luck with the Alexa in jam mode.

I would also send a backup feed to the camera "just in case." Never hurts to have an extra recording, provided you run a cable or send a wireless feed to the Alexa and have a cooperative camera crew.

Don't forget to do a workflow test: shoot a 3-minute scene, clap at the head, clap at the tail, then sync up the picture and sound files and confirm that they stay in sync. Note that sync (obviously) does not work in high-speed mode (slo-mo).

• 5 months later...