I want to start at the bottom

• 2 months later...

Oliver's a good guy (and an acquaintance of mine). He's been editing for a long time (30+ years, iirc), does nice work, writes for industry magazines (so he gets paid to rant, check out equipment, and such), and for some odd reason thinks FCPX is OK for some jobs (and he therefore uses it for some jobs).

Oliver doesn't update his blog every day or week (a good thing), but what he does post is usually worth reading (and sometimes worth disagreeing with). So his blog is worth following...

• 7 months later...

*********UPDATE**************

Still trucking along, been very busy w/ some union gigs here and there. I started the process w/ Contract Services, been handing in pay stubs and letters from production companies. I still feel like I could be busier but I'm making, ok $$. At the end of the year ill be upgrading my whole cart w/ a laptop & boom recorder.

I still don't know many Union Mixers, but I'm networking harder then I've ever been. Im still willing to be Utility w/ the right Sound Mixed

NEVER lower your professional standards in favor of a paycheck. You will deliver a product that is crappy and over budget, usually at your financial and emotional expense.....The client will still say it is your fault, and you will hate everything about the whole experience.

A big +1. I have experienced this -sadly- firsthand, both with big-time corporate projects and dinky indy productions.

Do your best, walk away from the questionable jobs, earn the industry's respect and watch your standing grow. It may not be right away, and this advice may not be helpful in the short term, but you'll be glad down the line.

HTH,

BK