Oklahoma - film tax incentives

FSBELLA

hello everyone,

Just shipped 4 lectro's w/sanken lavs, some schoeps components  and  comtek's to compliment the local mixers sound package to yukon

Oklahoma.  apparently that state is now "pushing " real hard for the film & tv market.

fyi,

OK. state has a 27% tax break for filming in the state. it seems all the states but Cali is doing this. when will cali get this going??

I know "we" tried doing pushing this fact with runaway production to Canada, but can we do anything like petitions.  anythoughts on this?

where is Arrnold?

hello everyone,

Just shipped 4 lectro's w/sanken lavs, some schoeps components  and  comtek's to compliment the local mixers sound package to yukon

Oklahoma.  apparently that state is now "pushing " real hard for the film & tv market.

fyi,

OK. state has a 27% tax break for filming in the state. it seems all the states but Cali is doing this. when will cali get this going??

I know "we" tried doing pushing this fact with runaway production to Canada, but can we do anything like petitions.  anythoughts on this?

where is Arrnold?

Daydreaming about being President....

Philip Perkins

first a disclaimer: One of my former students is now OK film commisioner.

Arnold is just back from Europe: Austria (patching things up with his old hometown), France (meet and greet the new Prez) aned England (saying good luck to Tony Blair!).

but as for incentives, etc. This from our Actors' guild:

" June 29, 2007

Dear California Screen Actors Guild Member,

There are currently three film incentive bills in the California legislature.

While these bills are all in different stages of amendment, committee review

and analysis, it is critical that your state senator, assembly member, 

Governor  Schwarzenegger and Senate Leader Don Perata know how 

important entertainment industry jobs are to you and your family, 

and all California residents.

We need your help. Please use the links below to send your personal email

letters urging lawmakers to support meaningful legislation to keep and

attract film, television, new media and commercial production in our state. 

Please feel free to add your personal perspective to the letters, and remember

to keep your comments professional and to the point.

Together our voices can make a difference. So please email your letter

sometime over the next week. 

If you have any questions, please call SAG’s National Policy & Planning

Department at (323) 549-6572.

To write your Assemblymember and Senator:

http://www.legislature.ca.gov/port-zipsearch.html

To write Governor  Schwarzenegger: http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

To write Senator Leader Perata: Senator.Perata@sen.ca.gov

We’ve included sample letters that you may use as templates for your letters

to each elected official.

YOUR ASSEMBLY MEMBER:

RE: California Film Incentives

Dear Assembly member_______________:

I am a proud member of Screen Actors Guild, and I live, work and vote in

_________________, California. I  urge you to support the passage of

meaningful film, TV, new media and commercial production incentives during this legislative

session.

According to 2005 statistics in the Economic Impact of the Motion Picture & Television

Report issued by the Motion Picture Association of America, the entertainment industry

generated over $42.2 billion in economic activity in California, and over 266,000 jobs. That job

number is declining as productions continue to leave our state for locations outside the state – and

outside the country.

Most states now have enticing film incentives, while my state does not. I rely on wages earned in

California to support my family and to qualify for my union health and pension benefits. 

There are 60,000 SAG members in California and we need your help. Please support

efforts to create and pass meaningful production incentives in our state.

Sincerely,

YOUR SENATOR:

Dear Senator_______________:

_________________, California. I  urge you  to support the passage of

meaningful film, TV, new media and commercial production incentives during this legislative

session.

According to 2005 statistics in the Economic Impact of the Motion Picture & Television

Report issued by the Motion Picture Association of America, the entertainment industry

generated over $42.2 billion in economic activity in California, and over 266,000 jobs. That job

number is declining as productions continue to leave our state for locations outside the state – and

outside the country.

Most states now have enticing film incentives, while my state does not. I rely on wages earned in

California to support my family and to qualify for my union health and pension benefits. 

There are 60,000 SAG members in California and we need your help. Please support

Sincerely,

GOVERNOR:

The Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger

State Capitol Building

Sacramento, CA 95814

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger

Like you, I am a proud member of Screen Actors Guild, and I live, work and vote in

_________________, California. I urge you to support the passage of meaningful

film, TV, new media and commercial production incentives during this legislative session.  As an

actor and our Governor, it’s imperative that you help fight for our entertainment industry jobs.

outside the country.

Most states now have enticing film incentives, while our state does not. I rely on wages earned

in California to support my family and to qualify for my union health and pension benefits. 

Sincerely,

SENATOR PERATA:

The Honorable Don Perata

State Capitol, Room 205

Sacramento, CA  95814

Dear Senator Perata,

_________________, California. I urge you to support the passage of

session.  As a leader in California, it’s imperative that you help fight for our entertainment

industry jobs.

outside the country.

Most states now have enticing film incentives, while our state does not. I rely on wages earned

in California to support my family and to qualify for my union health and pension benefits. 

Sincerely,"

You might want to modify the sample letters!!

sorry for the misspellings, my daughter is on my knee trying to type as I am.

if you see a typo from me, I do not have dyslexia (my co-workers would probably argue that) it is because my daughter likes this group as much as me and want to type just the same.

thank you every one for "hearing" me out.

we really should do something more than what is happening now about the tax incentives the other states are offering and the cali film & tv infrastructure is losing out on.

• 1 month later...

I've watched similar bills go before the state here in MT over the last couple years and although a few projects have been launched as a result [that otherwise might have gone elsewhere?] by and large the main draw seems to be pretty low budget productions. It seems to me that the tighter the budget, the greater the incentive to film in a location that supports rebates, tax incentives, etc. The scenery may be world-class, but I'm not so sure this is a good thing in the end, for the industry or local economies. Residents are often hired as department add-ons to meet quotas or other times as as keys, but with expectations of sweatshop wages.

This may not be the case elsewhere and there are exceptions here, but more exception than the rule. Just and observation, subjective as it may be...

EB

I hear "Oklahoma is OK" - Way to capitalize on your postal code and strive for mediocrity in your slogan!  Come film in Oklahoma, we're OK.

But seriously, everyone realizes the positive impact of bringing film production to a region.  Unfortunately, the California general public has forgotten the negative impact of losing it.  Remember the big slow down around 2000, and how empty it was in restaurants, clothing stores, specialty shops, and all over Los Angeles?  People forget how a slow down in the earning of the middle class (most of us working in the film business) can impact the entire economy of a region.