iPhone report

Jeff Wexler

AT&T just jetisoned the ridiculously-long bills for iPhone owners, after numerous complaints.

BTW, there's a big Apple press conference on September 5, which will no doubt announce several iPods. The rumor sites are predicting at least one "iPhone without the phone," which would be a deluxe iPod with the "touch" interface.

--Marc W.

AND they just cut the iPhone price today (9/5/2007) by $200. Doh!  Get my lawyer on the phone!

Update: and 24 hours later, Jobs has agreed to give all previous iPhone customers a hundred bucks Apple store credit. Why, it's as if they deliberately stirred up the controversy to get more publicity...

--Marc W.

interesting article comparing the former perception of Microsoft as the industry bully, and the reversals that have some thinking that is now Apple's status:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136949/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

I agree with the authors conclusion, BTW.

Microsoft wasn't being bad, and Apple isn't being bad!

interesting article comparing the former perception of Microsoft as the industry bully, and the reversals that have some thinking that is now Apple's status:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136949/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

I agree with the authors conclusion, BTW.

Microsoft wasn't being bad, and Apple isn't being bad!

I read that article 'Apple is the new Microsoft" and he got a lot of things horribly wrong with his analogies to how he sees Apple roping people into one way of doing things. I am going to write an analysis of the article because it gives the appearance of being very insightful but it does not delve into in any proper detail the history of how Microsoft behaved --- and I can assure you, Microsoft DID behave badly (actually criminally) and Apple has not. The relationship of Apple to the music business, the iPod, iTunes and the iTunes Music Store, and the music consuming public, bears little resemblance to what Microsoft did to ALL the hardware companies (who make all those PC's that you could think of as iPods) with their Windows software --- any one of the examples brought up during the monopoly anti-trust cases will serve to illustrate this --- for example, the revelation that Microsoft was in a position to drive any one of these companies completely out of business --- whether it be Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, whatever. This is a power that Apple has never had and will never have (and I would contend would never exercise even if they had the power). There is a big difference between being dominant and number one through illegal and monopolistic behavior and being number one because you are the best.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

interesting article comparing the former perception of Microsoft as the industry bully, and the reversals that have some thinking that is now Apple's status

Well, I don't have to write an analysis of this article, the editors at Macworld wrote a very good detailed response. Anyonew interested can read both at the Macworld site:  http://www.macworld.com/

-  JW

AND they just cut the iPhone price today (9/5/2007) by $200. Doh!  Get my lawyer on the phone!

Update: and 24 hours later, Jobs has agreed to give all previous iPhone customers a hundred bucks Apple store credit. Why, it's as if they deliberately stirred up the controversy to get more publicity...

--Marc W.

I just signed up for the $100 Store Credit as one of the early adopters (paid full price) for my iPhone. I think Apple did the right thing on all of this and in typical Apple fashion, the issuing of the store credit was a simple, elegant and straightforward online experience --- go to a page on Apple site, fill in iPhone phone number, serial number, Apple sends immediate SMS text message to the iPhone with an authorization number, put the number in, store credit issued. Nothing like trying to redeem a rebate at Staples or get the online rebate for $20. for some printer.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 2 weeks later...