Working in Senegal - Tested radio frequencies for Dakar needed.

resonate

Hello All!

I've been asked to work for a documentary shoot that's happening in Senegal, Dakar to be exact. I've never been to Africa, but have seen the thread about 'mixer going to Africa'. Valuable information indeed. My workflow is going to be two Canon cameras 5d and 7d which i will feed wirelessly with sennheiser systems, and i will record double system on my mixer&recorder combo. (442&680). My biggest gripe is radio frequencies. I have two Micron Explorer 100 systems on UK69 freqs (841-864) and a sennheiser radios that work on similar frequencies for Europe - 830-866) That corresponds to lectro block 33 roughly. Can i safely and reliably use those in Senegal?

Also, is it true that i should bathe myself in the ocean so i don't get sick with any of the possible diseases i can get there? My doctor said so, and I was pretty sad to hear that :)

Thanks for all the info around here, really invaluable stuff.

B

it's deja vu all over again...

OK, can you use them safely where you are now ??

then you can probably operate them safely anywhere...

reliably ??

well, with any wireless, the answer is "it depends", and this stuff is discussed here endlessly. there are many factors at work, and some say Voodoo is included...

legally ?? that is something you need to find out from an authoritative source, and of course interference issues vary greatly, but are typically less in less developed locations.

In regards to the OP, I have no concrete info but I have been to Dakar and elsewhere in Senegal and I would say not to worry too much about finding yourself in an RF crowded area. Dakar is a big city but it's no NYC and I doubt they have the kind of wireless regulation that England does requiring you to register your freqs, etc.. But feel free to prove me wrong.

I'd be most concerned about getting all of your gear in and out safely and timely. The international airport in Dakar is not the most foreign friendly airport in the land. I would insist that the production company have a good fixer hired and be sure to fill out the proper Carnet or whatever else you need in terms of paperwork.

As far as bathing goes.. I would just use your common sense based on what kind of digs you end up in. I would only drink bottled water though for sure.