AF100 note

Did a simple sit down interview with a colleague's production company recently, recording single-system to the AF100 plus back-up.

Monitoring the camera from my breakaway cable's return, it seemed there was a slight delay (although sounding fine). I thought I was JW Professional-grade reading up on the camera manual and posts here, yet missed an additional menu setting:

http://www.dvxuser.c...p/t-241555.html

Best,

Steven

According to the DVX link you provided it's an in camera menu setting that apparently lets you monitor the incoming signal or the recorded signal. Much like the "source/tape" switch on old analog recorders. Source is instantaneous, recorded signal is delayed.

Eric

A lot of people got burned, myself included (though my case wasn't critical), when the AF100 first came out, before Panny updated the firmware to show that audio was not being recorded in VFR mode. They've yet to address the -12dB line though, and seem to have abandoned the camera altogether :/

They (Panasonic) seem to have abandoned the camera altogether.

As an AF100 owner, I don't have the same impression. It's more viable today than it ever was with some of the new lenses coming out for it. That, and the fact that it can use almost any lens available that covers at least a 4/3" sensor makes it a really useful camera. Even several of my Arri lenses from my 16mm film camera work on it.

On a side note: Speaking only of the video world here, most of the people seeming to have issues with the camera are beginners who have yet to learn even what that white balance thingie is for. A lot of pros really like the thoroughness of features, and the quality of image, at its price point. Most comparisons made of this camera are between it and cameras costing between three to ten times as much (Sony F3, Red, Alexa) -- since those are its closest competitors in a full-featured video camera (Sony's camera that is near the AF's price doesn't have as complete a feature set since it's victim to Sony's practice of releasing a lower cost version of a product by removing features, so as not to compete with itself. -- Hmm, and Sony Corporation has been losing money the last few years.)

The AF100 makes excellent pictures and actually has decent sound. Checking playback of both picture and sound is quick and easy. A test playback check is a good practice to get into on any production no matter what video camera is used.

One other thing: an early firmware version allowed the AF100 to display active audio meters and return audio through the headphone jack, WHILE NOT ACTUALLY RECORDING THE AUDIO.

If the camera (with the early firmware) is engaged in "VFR" mode, it will stop recording audio, but not indicate that it has stopped in any way. Apparently, you can engage the "VFR" mode by pressing a button on the side of the camera. I'd run a BU recording as well as verifying that the firmware has been updated recently.

And, yes, I did find out about this the hard way.

Glad to hear they fixed this, as I, like many others fell foul of that on an AF101 shoot last year. We managed to do half a day's filming before the first card went to DIT and the fault was discovered.

It's also good to know that timecode can be dealt with and it holds okay with regular jams. I have another shoot in a few weeks on this one.

~Mark.

Before you shoot just roll a quick test. For playback you press the MODE button (at the back, just above the AUDIO LEVEL controls), then press in on the joystick. It even has a built-in speaker (unplug your return from the headphone jack to hear it -- or plug in your headphones). When the test clip is done, just press MODE again to return to camera mode.

It's quick, it's easy, and then you can relax -- that is, until the talent leans into the mic and yells.

Before you shoot just roll a quick test. For playback you press the MODE button (at the back, just above the AUDIO LEVEL controls), then press in on the joystick. It even has a built-in speaker (unplug your return from the headphone jack to hear it -- or plug in your headphones). When the test clip is done, just press MODE again to return to camera mode.

It's quick, it's easy, and then you can relax -- that is, until the talent leans into the mic and yells.

This is good practice, to be sure. But with the early firmware bug, it is technically possible to do a good record test first thing, but then during the course of the day, bump that button (forgot which one) that engages the VFR mode, and then still lose your audio. Best bet is to still do double system backup while checking to ensure that the AF100's firmware is up-to-date.

AFAIK, even with the updated firmware, the meters still bounce and the headphone still returns audio in VFR, even though it isn't being recorded. The only difference is that there is a new icon on the display indicating "no audio" . If you're working with an inexperienced/inattentive cam op who doesn't tell you, you still might not know that the camera's audio was disengaged.

This is good practice, to be sure. But with the early firmware bug, it is technically possible to do a good record test first thing, but then during the course of the day, bump that button (forgot which one) that engages the VFR mode, and then still lose your audio. Best bet is to still do double system backup while checking to ensure that the AF100's firmware is up-to-date.

AFAIK, even with the updated firmware, the meters still bounce and the headphone still returns audio in VFR, even though it isn't being recorded. The only difference is that there is a new icon on the display indicating "no audio" . If you're working with an inexperienced/inattentive cam op who doesn't tell you, you still might not know that the camera's audio was disengaged.

Your description of the firmware changes is correct.

However, I don't rely on the camera person to frequently check any camera's display -- I do it. I'm there to protect the sound. The camera person has other things to focus on.

If the AF100 is being operated with included safe guards, it would take quite an interesting "accident" to "bump" the VFR on. Here's the procedure:

1) You press in on the recessed DIAL SELECT button on the rear of the camera to unlock the dial

2) You press the button again to select DIAL FRAME RATE

3) You press in on the recessed SHUTTER/F.RATE wheel located below the DIAL SELECT button

That puts you in VFR mode and you then adjust the dial for the frame rate desired. Note that even 24fps is considered VFR when this mode is selected. The icon on the screen will indicate this.

NOTE: To turn VFR off, you:

1) Press in on the recessed SHUTTER/F.RATE wheel and the screen will read VFR OFF.

2) Press the DIAL SELECT button to select DIAL LOCK.

Now, if the camera person you're working with leaves the DIAL LOCK off, and has DIAL FRAME RATE selected on the DIAL SELECT button, then you would only need to press in on the recessed SHUTTER/F.RATE wheel to turn VFR on (or off).

I suggest working with your camera person to always keep the DIAL SELECT button in the LOCK position to eliminate the remote possibility of someone accidentally pushing in on the recessed SHUTTER/F.RATE wheel.

Yes, it would be ideal if the meters didn't register and the sound return was muted when in VFR mode. However, every camera has its gotchas and it's our job to know how to deal with them. That's why professional productions hire an experienced sound professional rather than a newbie with a Nomad. Being a pro is largely about dealing with issues and avoiding gotchas and the longer someone has been at it, the more of these they'll know about and be prepared for. Kinda like the singer who thinks they're ready for the big time because they sound great when vocalizing in the shower -- but, the test of a pro is, can they deliver the goods when facing a full house at Carnegie Hall?

As an AF100 owner, I don't have the same impression. It's more viable today than it ever was with some of the new lenses coming out for it. That, and the fact that it can use almost any lens available that covers at least a 4/3" sensor makes it a really useful camera. Even several of my Arri lenses from my 16mm film camera work on it.

I've owned one within the first week of release, and still love it, I just wish Nappy (better, Senator?) would continue to tweak the firmware, or better yet, make available an upgrade like they've done with the AC160 (the other serious camera I own). As you've probably seen yourself, DVXUser is awash in great, entirely doable ideas (1:1, dual-slot recording, audio in VFR, etc.).

On a related note, someone used my camera (not in VFR mode, mind you), and was then upset with me because it didn't record any audio. The mic switches were set to external, and they mistook the focusing bar for the audio meter. I almost literally facepalmed myself when I heard that :blink:

I've owned one within the first week of release, and still love it, I just wish Nappy (better, Senator?) would continue to tweak the firmware, or better yet, make available an upgrade like they've done with the AC160 (the other serious camera I own). As you've probably seen yourself, DVXUser is awash in great, entirely doable ideas (1:1, dual-slot recording, audio in VFR, etc.).

On a related note, someone used my camera (not in VFR mode, mind you), and was then upset with me because it didn't record any audio. The mic switches were set to external, and they mistook the focusing bar for the audio meter. I almost literally facepalmed myself when I heard that :blink:

Yikes!

The biggest problem this camera has is that it's at a price point where too many amateurs have tried to use it.