Board for manufactuers, dealers and companies

This Board has been established for any and all individuals who, by reason of affiliation or ownership of companies, have encountered difficulties posting to discussion groups and Usenet newsgroups. It is open as well to any and all of those individuals who have NOT had difficulties but would like to post things here. This Board is open to all postings of any kind, either under the banner of a company (an equipment manufacturer, a dealer, a rental house) or as an individual who may be associated with a company. The only restriction I will mention at the outset is that this is not the place for companies to use for free advertising as would be appropriate on a company run website or paid advertising venue. This is NOT to say, however, that announcements of up and coming products, reports on initial testing of unreleased products, mention of links to dealers for the availability of products and so forth, are restricted, they are not. Such postings are appropriate and welcome.

The extent to which this Board becomes an extension to a company or dealer support structure remains to be seen. We will see how it all goes and I personally guarantee that I will do everything in my power to prevent the sort of nasty antics that have become all to prevalent in other groups.

Sincerely,  your host, Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

Nice job!. I am sure this newsgroup will be usefull to all.

This Board has been established for any and all individuals who, by reason of affiliation or ownership of companies, have encountered difficulties posting to discussion groups and Usenet newsgroups. It is open as well to any and all of those individuals who have NOT had difficulties but would like to post things here. This Board is open to all postings of any kind, either under the banner of a company (an equipment manufacturer, a dealer, a rental house) or as an individual who may be associated with a company. The only restriction I will mention at the outset is that this is not the place for companies to use for free advertising as would be appropriate on a company run website or paid advertising venue. This is NOT to say, however, that announcements of up and coming products, reports on initial testing of unreleased products, mention of links to dealers for the availability of products and so forth, are restricted, they are not. Such postings are appropriate and welcome.

The extent to which this Board becomes an extension to a company or dealer support structure remains to be seen. We will see how it all goes and I personally guarantee that I will do everything in my power to prevent the sort of nasty antics that have become all to prevalent in other groups.

Sincerely,  your host, Jeff Wexler

EB,

hello there. I no longer work at lsc's rental dept. I am now working at the "new" coffey sound.(in sales) please visit after nab, or come by by the booth at nab.

cali should present a few more business opportunities for you. also, it should release a little stress when you get that last minute phone call for work in the l.a. area and you will now be a little closer and ready to take the gig.

just remember to always record on the 744t. (for a piece of mind & "leverage")

gl with that situation.

later,

FS

EB,

hello there. I no longer work at lsc's rental dept. I am now working at the "new" coffey sound.(in sales) please visit after nab, or come by by the booth at nab.

cali should present a few more business opportunities for you. also, it should release a little stress when you get that last minute phone call for work in the l.a. area and you will now be a little closer and ready to take the gig.

just remember to always record on the 744t. (for a piece of mind & "leverage")

gl with that situation.

later,

FS

I had heard you had left, but didn't know to where. Thanks for the update. I'll drop by the booth. I'm still not 100% on NAB, but unless some big can't-pass job comes up I'm planning to be there. Told Eric T to count me in for the RAMPS Firefly party too.

EB

I had heard you had left, but didn't know to where. Thanks for the update. I'll drop by the booth. I'm still not 100% on NAB, but unless some big can't-pass job comes up I'm planning to be there. Told Eric T to count me in for the RAMPS Firefly party too.

EB

EB,

what wireless hops are you using?? 

has anyone tried the 401's yet? we seem to be getting a few phone call requests for them.

just wondering how they are doing in the "real world". thanks

FS

EB,

what wireless hops are you using?? 

has anyone tried the 401's yet? we seem to be getting a few phone call requests for them.

just wondering how they are doing in the "real world". thanks

FS

Most often UM400 to UCR411A...if I have the systems to spare. Otherwise, depends on what's avaiable at the time. I haven't tried the 401, but I think I remember Larry F saying they aren't as battery hungry as the 201. Good thing...

EB

oleg,

we are in the dealers and manufactorers forum. if you dont want to be "sold" something you really dont have to be in this particular part of the forum. thats why jw set it up this way. I was just asking a very honest question about a new product here in the states and I know that eric usually has the latest greatist in gear. thanks

oleg,

we are in the dealers and manufactorers forum. if you dont want to be "sold" something you really dont have to be in this particular part of the forum. thats why jw set it up this way. I was just asking a very honest question about a new product here in the states and I know that eric usually has the latest greatist in gear. thanks

OK boys, speaking of grills, I'm running from the flames here.

Back to FS' original "product related" question Re: 401

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that the 401 (like the 201) is not as robust in RF shielding as the *11 series. Granted, the *01 series are smaller and cheaper (always good) and offer many of the features of the *11 series, but for something as critical as a camera hop I want as much beef (bison?) as I can get. Also the *11 allows base-mounting the Rx on Mini DV (or other horizontal placement) using RA BNC adapters.

I don't have much issue with EMI up here in the mountains (with the exception of some large arrays found at the top of some peaks), but when I get into highly congested RF areas, I want to know that I have done everything I can to ensure that my stuff will work. I try and do my homework on local freqs, IMD, etc. before every gig and I can't afford to worry about proximity issues nor stray RF getting into my systems if it is at all avoidable.

OTOH, sometimes it is not avoidable. I started a thread on RAMPS last summer after I got totally crushed up in Fairbanks, AK. Not one of 7 wireless systems would work, Lectro blocks 26, 27, 28, and Senn Group A. It's a long story as to why (which I finally did ascertain), but it caused some serious problems for the production. And oh yeah...don't forget to blame the sound guy!

EB

oleg,

I was not trying to offend anyone here, its that this particular part of the forum is for dealers and that is where we will post.

you will probably not find  many manufacturers who are resellers or resellers who are manufacturers here in the states.

also, we tested the 401's and all new products that come out for that matter. its always nice to see how equipment reacts in the "real world" under the conditions that you sound mixers encounter. when we test or demo gear on the sales floor it is not the same as when the enduser actually has it out in the field, the gear reacts differently on location than to testing it under controled circumstances.

I was trying to get a feel for the new systems as camera hops, they seemed to work and sound fine here in the shop going from a sd442 to sd302 (as the camera) with good range and battery life.

I dont reallly want this to turn into a reberto thing, you are in the dealers board not general info or the other categories. its not a place for advertising just feed back from a supplier to a enduser.

thanks.

p.s.

EB,

nice talking to you man. good luck on the move to cali.

oleg

Sorry I don't really understand your broken english, but I think you are referring to vendors using the gear they sell just as the enduser would out in the field. that is not entirely possible. as I said earlier, testing the wireless by doing a "walk test" or key test etc. we don't really get as much feed back from someone using the units day to day in there respected applications and working situations.( bty, we did a walk test with a 401 and 411 rx. and it held up great. with the tx on the sales floor coming out of a sd442, with a mkh50 going into it. I walked with the 2 rx plugged into a sd 302 out the shop and up the street around 400 ft. then started getting a few rf hits. this with by back to the tx and holding the rx at waist high lenth. when I turned around and faced the rc and the shop I got another 50 ft. the signal on the 401 at that time was pretty low but I was still getting a clean    signal. had a blk 27 working and the scanner was clean of rf activity. battery- 2-aa's lasted more than 5hrs. when we closed at 6pm there was 25% battery life left.

also,

as you are from out of the country you probably don't know John Coffey retired from production sound mixing last year. and what vendors do you know that actually go out in the "field" and test the gear as you would use it?? actually use it on a shoot, bang it around and drop it a few times etc. remember this thread started by me asking a end user what wireless hops he uses and if  he had the opportunity to try the 401's? sometimes we (vendors) have to get true feed back from the customer on how a item is working out in the "real word" as do manufactuers.  thats it for now on the new 401's, very impressive for the range and quality from the  "sales floor point of view"

thanks

• 11 months later...

Well said Jeff as the concept is both powerful and valuable to all involved.

During my business relationship with Sound Techniques here in New Zealand I always fed back

user based information to Fostex, Sanken, HHB and other companies that was essential to

improve and develop their products further to suit the practical needs of workers in the field.

All the best

mike

www.mikewestgatesound.co.nz