Acsses violation in pro tools LE 8.0.3

Alfred Tesler

Definitely chop the film into 20-minute segments. My advice is do not attempt to have a solid 2-hour Pro Tools session, especially with a lotta tracks.

There are very good classes out there on Pro Tools level 100 and 200 for Post, each taking a weekend or so. The discussions on the Avid Pro Tools User Group's post section goes into "best practices" like this in great detail. There are many tricks and cautions that aren't in the manual (which is well over 1100 pages, last time I checked).

Many explanations here:

http://duc.avid.com/search.php?searchid=5278640

I did a hundred-plus minute feature last year on PT-9 with well over a hundred tracks and sub-mixes, tons of plug-ins, and a hi-def video track, and it worked swimmingly -- all on one timeline. This was on a quad-core MacPro.

It can be done, with picture, too. It's just more destructive when there's a bad crash.

I think it's unnecessary strain on the system to work with more than one reel at a time, but I'm old-school that way. Eventually, the final mix (only 6 channels or 8 channels) will wind up as one solid reel laid back with picture, but that's easy, even with a 3-hour film. But all the session stems and stuff... I dunno. Once you add in 100+ tracks and all kinds of plug-ins and stuff, it gets to be such a mess. And change lists are a nightmare when you have to ripple this stuff into sessions bigger than 20-30 minutes.

Just got a tip

Close session. Erase digidesign databases files from all HD. And reload, hope it will work.

Well from my side of this I'm using my LE system only for editing and preparing for the mix. The mix itself will be in a better system with a mix room.

That how it goes when working from home :).

If u have any other ideas I'll be glad to hear.

Thanks.

Just got a tip

Close session. Erase digidesign databases files from all HD. And reload, hope it will work.

Well from my side of this I'm using my LE system only for editing and preparing for the mix. The mix itself will be in a better system with a mix room.

That how it goes when working from home :).

If u have any other ideas I'll be glad to hear.

Thanks.

Had the same issue once when pt couldn't access some files that were changed and erasing databases worked. remember you should FIRST trash and then erase from trash. works most of time. if it doesn't work check the backups, maybe the last autosave will be erased but the one next to it should be there. as well check prlugins. waves especially - update them if required. you can troubleshoot the plugins by moving them to different location and adding them one by one back to its native folder.

here is the link that might help with database removal: http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/delete-pro-tools-preferences-databases-for-windows-xp-windows/

Well I got to avid and payed for support. The strange thing is that my support code worked only after I complained, and even I ordered a phone suppot I got a mail and a reply, asking me about my system, after I gave all the info ............, no reply yet.

I got to tell you all, I don't get it, it's so hard to navigate in their site (way too much info) and so hard to find support. I'll let you know what turned up with it. Is rediculos you pay for support and don't get a way to talk with them.

Any info on your system? What is the exact error?

I ran into a problem recently on a long timeline where pro tools hit the ram limit of a 32 bit application (2.7 gb) I downsized my session a bit and things went smoothly after. This would only be an issue on a native system, not an HD system.

It's easy to check for by opening up activity monitor and looking at the ram usage if the pro tools process.

http://wanderingear.net

Definitely chop the film into 20-minute segments. My advice is do not attempt to have a solid 2-hour Pro Tools session, especially with a lotta tracks.

There are very good classes out there on Pro Tools level 100 and 200 for Post, each taking a weekend or so. The discussions on the Avid Pro Tools User Group's post section goes into "best practices" like this in great detail. There are many tricks and cautions that aren't in the manual (which is well over 1100 pages, last time I checked).

Many explanations here:

http://duc.avid.com/...earchid=5278640

+1

it boggles my mind that editors think they can just give you the full film without cutting it into sections first. has happened to me several times...

It can be done, with picture, too. It's just more destructive when there's a bad crash.

I think it's unnecessary strain on the system to work with more than one reel at a time, but I'm old-school that way. Eventually, the final mix (only 6 channels or 8 channels) will wind up as one solid reel laid back with picture, but that's easy, even with a 3-hour film. But all the session stems and stuff... I dunno. Once you add in 100+ tracks and all kinds of plug-ins and stuff, it gets to be such a mess. And change lists are a nightmare when you have to ripple this stuff into sessions bigger than 20-30 minutes.

+2

i guess i was taught old school. i prefer 10-20 min reels. more system power for each reel!!

i guess i was taught old school. i prefer 10-20 min reels. more system power for each reel!!

Yep. I think that makes more sense, too. I know of film editors who will just devote a session file to each "segment" of the film, worrying about the emotional intent and drama as they cut, and then gradually start figuring out reel breaks and so on. The sound supervisor decides where to make actual reel changes -- which, technically, aren't required any more for Digital Cinema DCPs -- but you do still need them for the rest of the world that still uses film.

I think it's safer to keep each segment down to a manageable level, but only because of speed slow-downs and the risk of doing major damage in a terrible crash. Imagine having the entire movie up, making 150 edits throughout the entire film... and then it crashes and you lose all that work. If it's all just confined to one reel, it's still annoying, but you have a prayer of remembering what you did and redoing it.

I know of novelists who write stories chapter by chapter for this reason. But they have the flexibility of keeping multiple chapters open in other files, if they need to refer back to something they did earlier (or late). As far as I know, Pro Tools doesn't yet let you keep multiple files (or timelines) open simultaneously. Final Cut Pro will; not sure about Avid.

Any of u guys can contact me with a windows pro tools expert?

I'll really apriciate the help

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread including:

Trashing prefs and databases then restarting.

Checking ram usage.

Down sizing your session to smaller sizes.

Have you also posted on the duc? There will be a larger base of windows pro tools users there.

Also, when asking for help about pt, it is very helpful to post your system specs including CPU, ram, os, pt version, hard drives, etc... As well as the error number and exact wording of the error pop-up window. I suggest reading both the "help us help you"and "basic troubleshooting" threads on the duc.

I'll try to help more with more information.

K

http://wanderingear.net

I use PT10 on an I7. A lot of the projects I do I get in one file/session. I save every 5 minutes or so and save as at least once an hour. I also save copy in at the end of each day. So far, I have never had a problem.

I'm pretty good with running PT on windows.

If you want to do a screen share or something next week, I can see if I can help you out.