Liking the Epic, I must confess

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a shoot in February where I recorded double system, but the editor asked for some kind of scratch track on the Epic so he could sync with PluralEyes. I had a cheap Radio shack lav ready to plug in, when the DIT showed me one he'd been playing with; he'd switched the leads, hoping that reverse polarity would make it work -- it didn't. Noting that the Epic wanted an unbalanced feed, I suggested clipping one of the leads. He did, it worked.

Has anybody tried using solder to short the sign and sleeve on a 1/8" plug to work on an Epic ( the way we used to do with headphone jacks)? It would seem to be a better method than cutting wires.

I just finished my first Scarlet shoot today (same audio inputs as Epic), and used the balanced 1/8" inputs for the first time. Even the AC was impressed -- the sound was perfectly acceptable, when we kept levels conservative and killed the limiters. I think the Red limiters are much too aggressive and kick in too early. As long as you limit at the mixer, they should be OK.