Horita PG-2100... Anyone using them as Lockbox alternative

Mine works great...and the on/off has to be held for a second or two to turn off, so don't worry about that. I have used it on my recorder several times, after jamming to the camera and there was no noticeable drift for most of the day. They are a PAIN if you have to change the TC rate, though!!!!

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

I'm assuming that you have that retort assigned to a function key so that you don't have to bother with actually typing it out because it seems to be your standard unhelpful comment on just about every thread. If you cannot add anything useful to the conversation then you might think hard about not adding anything at all.

You always get what you pay for but the question is whether you've paid too much for what you got and whether what you got is what you need at the time and whether or not you can find something just as realistically useful, given your current situation, for a lot less.

I'm sure that everyone would love to have half a dozen Lectros, a twelve track Nomad and a brace of Sennheiser MKHs but the reality of the situation means that those of us on a limited budget might have to squeak by for a time with a few G3s, a Tascam DR680 and a couple of good, less expensive, mics.

Before someone starts another personality flame war, back to the subject at hand.

I have owned (and still own but don't use them much anymore) many Horita boxes. They make a lot of nice little cost-effective devices. However, for a time code reference, I recommend going with Denecke. There's nothing quite as reassuring as having the standard -- and Denecke is the standard.

While the GR2 looks to be an excellent, and useful, device, price comparison to the Horita PG-2100 is not an apples-to-apples situation. It's more like an apples-to-a-fruit-basket comparison.

So, staying closer to apples-to-apples:

If budget is a consideration, then my advice is to find a used SB2 (They're not terribly easy to find which is a testament of their value to those who own them). I further recommend you send the SB2 in to Denecke for updating (if necessary), and calibration. Denecke's rates for this are extremely reasonable and you will then be assured of owning a properly calibrated time code standard.

Depending upon your shopping skill, you won't have to spent much more than for the Horita you asked about -- probably in the $350-$400 range, and maybe less, if you're lucky. Even a new SB3 (Denecke's current Sync Box model) is only $516.

Along with two Denecke slates, I also own two SB2A boxes (an SB2 becomes an SB2A after Denecke's updating) and find them quite handy.

" I think for the price, it's worth a shot. "

As my CPF JB suggests, there is a lot of difference between the 2 units Jim compared, and the SB is in the middle, and an industry standard; it got that status by being a top quality, rugged, and dependable professional tool for our purposes.

I'm sure that everyone would love to have half a dozen Lectros, a twelve track Nomad and a brace of Sennheiser MKHs but the reality of the situation means that those of us on a limited budget might have to squeak by for a time with a few G3s, a Tascam DR680 and a couple of good, less expensive, mics.

Nothing wrong with "squeaking by" with a few lower cost items as long as you understand the limitations of your choices. However the consensus here is that you shouldn't skimp on timecode. Also buying once instead of buying cheap is a motto I live by and while it is painful at times early in my career I often spent whatever I made on a job on buying gear for that job.

While It was painful at times I now have a great kit that I can rely on and charge a better rate then if I had a couple G2 and a Zoom.

I didn't buy it yet, because I have been saving money to buy Denecke or Ambient product.. GR2 is fine for cart .. sucks for on camera...

and, as I do more work with small cameras, I am looking for smaller on camera boxes...

and for ones that will pay for themselves in the amount of days per year that I need them..

Horita boasts that these worked well enough for ESPN to endorse and use them on a very rugged shoot... perhaps someone on this forum worked on that?

If budget is a consideration, then my advice is to find a used SB2 (They're not terribly easy to find which is a testament of their value to those who own them). I further recommend you send the SB2 in to Denecke for updating (if necessary), and calibration. Denecke's rates for this are extremely reasonable and you will then be assured of owning a properly calibrated time code standard.

Depending upon your shopping skill, you won't have spent much more than for the Horita you asked about -- probably in the $350-$400 range, and maybe less, if you're lucky. Even a new SB3 (Denecke's current Sync Box model) is only $516.

Thanks. I've been looking for something in an affordable s/h Denecke for a while. No luck so far but I'm patient.

" anyone using them... "

seems to have drawn no positive responses...

The WTB/WTS doesn't include them...

" perhaps someone on this forum worked on that? "

we'll see, but the consensus here seems to be pretty solid for the "usual suspects" in this category; do you really need all the functions of the GR-2 ? You seem to blow off the SB's ...

Of course you'll make your own decision, and if you choose the Horita, you'll be able to report back to us...

Thanks. I've been looking for something in an affordable s/h Denecke for a while. No luck so far but I'm patient.

I'm in the same boat budget wise, so I patrol the web looking for deals on good stuff. The problem with the Horita mentioned is that if it has no TXCO clock (which seems likely, at that price) then the number of situations in which it will really work for you is drastically limited. That being the case, then the Horita isn't a very good deal--it has a much lower possibility of "earning out" for you. An irony of location sound work is that you can get by with lesser-quality mics and other sound gear: their quality is subjective, but that recordings hold sync or they don't. Having sound sync to camera work properly still requires some fairly sophisticated (and expensive) equipment.

phil p