Anyone else on here a shutterbug?

Ryan

I am first and foremost an ADR Mixer and re-recording mixer,

But, I must say in the past 8 months I've spent more money on my "hobby" of photography than I have on mics and audio equipment. I feel like that is a confession...

Anyway, does anyone else here share my love for shooting?

I've got a sort of quasi-portfolio and I recently got asked to be the main photographer for a very high profile wedding. That's pretty darn cool if you ask me!

I love still photography, but not videography. When I was in high school, I used to shoot 35mm on a Canon TX-35 and develop my own film in our school's darkroom. That was at the intersection of expensive film and expensive digital cameras, with film prices going up, and digital camera prices going down. So eventually I quit shooting film, and never made the leap to digital SLRs.

The DSLRs you can get now for ~$1,000 are amazing. I cannot wait to have one. I will use it often, and probably annoy my friends, as portraits and candid photography are my favorite.

Been doing photography since the '80s but only got "serious" about 10 years ago, when film was still king. Made the transition to digital about 5-6 years ago, and now waiting for the next gen Nikons before upgrading my main body. That said, I've been more active with video lately - the great thing is most cameras do video anyway now. It's a great time to be in the hobby.

Awesome, guys!!!

I own a Canon T3i and have the following lenses:

Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (picked it off ebay for $50)

MIR-1 37mm f/2.8 (russian lens I got for $80 - it's all silver and was made in the 70s)

44-2 58mm f/2.0 (another russian lens I got for $6 on ebay)

Canon 50mm f/1.8

Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5 ($40 on ebay)

I'm about to throw down $725 for the Canon 10-22mm - first serious wide angle lens :)

Yep, another photographer (in spare time) here.

Here's my thread:

Canon 7D.

Canon 50mm f/1.4

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 18-55mm POS.

Lensbaby Muse.

Looking to get a 16-35mm Canon L series. Such nice glass.

I've also got some old Pentax K lenses that I've adapted to fit on the Canon, great for old-school (they flare and vignette like mad :)) shots and mucking about.

Yep, another photographer (in spare time) here.

Here's my thread:

Canon 7D.

Canon 50mm f/1.4

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 18-55mm POS.

Lensbaby Muse.

Looking to get a 16-35mm Canon L series. Such nice glass.

I've also got some old Pentax K lenses that I've adapted to fit on the Canon, great for old-school (they flare and vignette like mad :)) shots and mucking about.

Nice!!!!

What do you think of the 85 f/1.8? I'm thinking of buying that one next..

@Bondelev That's great!

Well, the 16-35 is not as wide as the 10-22, and of course I've used them on a cropped sensor, so the 10mm becomes 16mm, the 16mm becomes 25~mm... I find the 16-35 to have less distortion and colour fringing on the edges, and is sharper overall. The 10-22mm also has nearly no friction on its zoom, so if you point it at the ground, you'll find yourself zooming in slowly. 16-35mm front element doesn't rotate with focussing, but it's pretty pricy to find filters for it. Both great lenses, for what I do the 16-35mm wins.

The f/1.8 is the nicest lens I own. It's perfect for portraits. It's sharp down to minimums, it's autofocus is fast. The only lens I've seen that bests it is the 85mm f/1.2 L.

I've done a side-by-side comparison between an 85/1.8 and an 85/1.2 (Version Two) and the 1.8 matched the 1.2 for sharpness right through the aperture range. The only things you'll get with the 1.2 (if you really need it) is the extra stop and that extra stop will cost you $1600. The 1.2 also weighs a lot more and its auto focusing is a lot slower. I sent back the 1.2 and continue to be happy with the 1.8.

I've done a side-by-side comparison between an 85/1.8 and an 85/1.2 (Version Two) and the 1.8 matched the 1.2 for sharpness right through the aperture range. The only things you'll get with the 1.2 (if you really need it) is the extra stop and that extra stop will cost you $1600. The 1.2 also weighs a lot more and its auto focusing is a lot slower. I sent back the 1.2 and continue to be happy with the 1.8.

There you go. YMMV. I've never used them side by side like that, so maybe it's not so great... thanks. I'm always happy with the 1.8 regardless.

i still do a good bit of videography stuff for my own personal projects, but i do enjoy photography a good bit. i've had some published photos and a few national ads. but one thing that i really enjoy doing is timelapse photography. i've got some motion control rigs and stuff like that. you can do some really cool stuff.