Urgent!question about fostex pd 6 and hirose Audio ENG Breakaway Cable

alidav

I need to use my FOSTEX PD 6 to feed a MIX to camera, and want TO do it via the HIROSE stereo bus out/in, my question is related how it is wired internally .

If you see the fostex scheme the hirose is wired like the image describes,

but the standard HIROSE -XLR'S CABLE IS wired like the second pic, but it is on some web site sold as for fostex pd6 too, ho can help me please? has anyone of you used that cable?

post-4361-0-76065300-1333435658.png

post-4361-0-20015600-1333435842.png

The wiring of the Hirose 10 pin to XLR is as follows:

Hirose 10 Output:

L+ Pin 1 to L-XLR Pin 2

L- Pin 3 to L-XLR Pin 3

Gnd Pin 9 to L-XLR Pin 1

R+ Pin 2 to R-XLR Pin 2

R- Pin 4 to R-XLR Pin 3

Gnd Pin 9 to R-XLR Pin 1

that means that this cable won't be used on any other mixer?

Well I'm confused. How come Trew sells the same breakout cable for the PD-6, 442 and a bunch of other mixers? I made a 6inch breakout to feed Comteks etc, but I built it based on the PD-6 manual.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=106&cat=13&page=1

"Remote Audio ENG Breakaway cable for Sound Devices 442, PSC M3 & AlphaMix, Cooper CS-104, SQN 4S 3A, Fostex PD-6, Filmtech LSP4, Audio Developments AD261, Zaxcom Deva 4&5."

The Hirose 10 pin connector is only a connector. How the equipment maker decides what goes where is up to them. As an example here's how Sound Devices sets up their 10 pin for the 442.

1. L+, 2. L-, 3. R+, 4. R-, 5. R/Return, 6. NC, 7. L/Return, 8. NC, 9. L&R/Gnd, 10. Return/Gnd.

For the 8 pin Trew/Neutricon breakaway it's: 1. L/Return, 2. R/Return, 3. L+, 4. L-, 5. L&R Gnd, 6. R+, 7. R-, 8. Return Gnd.

For the PSC 8 pin Neutricon it's: 1. Return Gnd, 2. L/Return, 3. R/Return, 4. R+, 5. R-, 6. L+, 7. L-, 8. L&R Gnd.

Eric

P.S. Trying to wire an 8 pin Neutricon can be a study in frustration because it's best to attach the pins to the wires before you place them in the correct holes in the pin block.

Well I'm confused. How come Trew sells the same breakout cable for the PD-6, 442 and a bunch of other mixers? I made a 6inch breakout to feed Comteks etc, but I built it based on the PD-6 manual.

http://www.trewaudio...6&cat=13&page=1

"Remote Audio ENG Breakaway cable for Sound Devices 442, PSC M3 & AlphaMix, Cooper CS-104, SQN 4S 3A, Fostex PD-6, Filmtech LSP4, Audio Developments AD261, Zaxcom Deva 4&5."

thats the point, I should buy TWO cables if i want to use it with a fostex pd 6 and with a 552 sd mixer, this is crazy.

The 10 pin Hirose & the 8 pin Neutricon connectors for use with various mixers are set up to send the audio signals to a recorder/camera with provisions for a HP monitoring return. Obviously Fostex has set up their 10 pin connector for a recorder & not a mixer so it is incompatable with the mixer outputs as listed above.

Eric

Everything that has been posted here makes sense. However, i did NOT have to have a second set of cables when using either my 442 or PD-6. Is this possible or am I crazy?

john you mean that you have used same cable purchased for 442 on the pd6?

Everything that has been posted here makes sense. However, i did NOT have to have a second set of cables when using either my 442 or PD-6. Is this possible or am I crazy?

No not at all if you used the XLR out's of the 442 Hirose cable into the XLR inputs of the PD6. There's no way you could use the 442's Hirose connector in to the PD6 Hirose connector and have it work. Look at the pin assignments in the 1st posting especially pins 6&8. SD does not have any connection in their 10 pin on pins 6&8.

Eric

but sammy did? anyway there is any chance to find a cable for pd6?

Sure Sammy could have if the cable was wired for the PD6 from the Alphamix. Remember it's a Sound Devices 442 that's being discussed here. You could do the same thing with the 442 if you wanted to make just a PD6 cable. It's not that difficult, I could make you one but it's not cheap.

Eric

I don't remember if I ever tried that Hirose 10 pin on a 442. I used to use that same cable all the time on an Alphamix. Then started using it on my PD-6 and it works just fine. I don't know if the Alphamix and 442 uses the same wiring configuration though. Too bad I don't have a 442 here to test out for you.

I don't remember if I ever tried that Hirose 10 pin on a 442. I used to use that same cable all the time on an Alphamix. Then started using it on my PD-6 and it works just fine. I don't know if the Alphamix and 442 uses the same wiring configuration though. Too bad I don't have a 442 here to test out for you.

What connections did you use to go into the PD6, a Hirose 10 pin or XLR's? The issue is not wether the Hirose 10 pin will work with a 442 or Alphamix, they will. It's the input connection to the PD6 that's the issue. From what I've seen of the wiring diagrams there's no way you can connect either mixer to the PD6 by 10 pin to 10 pin and have it work.

Eric

If I did not just sell my PD-6, I would go test this. I would suggest calling, or emailing, Trew Audio because they advertise the same Hirose to XLR breakout cable for a PD-6 AS WELL AS a 442 mixer.

If nothing else maybe you can have a 10-pin hirose male to 10-pin female adapter custom made. No idea what that would cost, but might be the easiest solution.

Like I said above, I made my own short PD-6 10-pin to XLR dongle so I could use the mix output..... I made it myself based on the pin-outs in my PD-6 manual.

It's giving me a headache trying to figure out what would happen (besides the obvious "wouldn't sound good").

I often borrowed a friends PD6 camera return cable (10 pin hirose to xlr/trs) to use on my 442 until I got off my arse and recently brought a remote audio return cable. Both cables work fine on both machines. Couldn't tell you off hand what brand his return cable is.

ok, here are the pin configurations for both the 442 & the Pd6 Hirose connectors. Now will someone please tell me how to get a feed into the PD6 via the 10 pins from the 442 when pin 6 & 8 on the 442 have no connection to the matching input on the PD6 & pins 5 & 7 on the 442 have no output feed.

SD....................................... Fostex

1. L+ out ...................... L+ out

2. L- out ......................... R+out

3. R+ out............................. L- out

4. R- out ....................... R-out

5. R return.......................... R in +

6. NC........................... R in -

7. L return........................ L in +

8. NC.............................. L in -

9. L&R grd.......................... L& R gnd

10. return gnd.................... return gnd